Hi there, so my previous post didn't really get me anywhere.

I changed my budget to $250. I would like to buy a new amp, I live in Australia.

I play mainly metal, thrash, heavy metal, some grunge etc.

I am ok with a used amp, but they aren't that common.

Currently I have my eye on these amps:

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?prodname=Vox-VT40--Valvetronix-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier&module=STORETIGERV2&pageMode=indiv&productID=199817&storepid=12

http://www.skymusic.com.au/Peavey-VYPYR-15.html

http://www.kosmic.com.au/amps-effects/guitar-combos/fender-mustang-i-guitar-amplifier-1/

Yeah.
check cashies, they have no idea how to price music gear

i picked up a Bandit 112 a couple years back for around that much

both those amps you posted would be okish for practise in a small place but if you keep an eye out on the used market you might get lucky
Last edited by zach.paynter.9 at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by ambler3
What gear have you currently gone?

Just a beginners guitar and a beginners amp. The amp is some unbranded one and my guitar is a cheap Artist strat.
Just playing the devil's advocate here: do you really really need an amp?

There aren't many awesome amps in that price range that I know of. You could get probably better tones with an used Line 6 Pod (X3 or one of the HD series Pods) and semi decent headphones, or some other modelling solution, if you're currently a bedroom player. Modellers are the most versatile thing ever, too, and are great for learning about what different amps and pedals sound like approximately, which will come in handy in the future.

Countless pros use the aforementioned Line 6 gear both in studio and on tour.
Quote by Jyrgen
Just playing the devil's advocate here: do you really really need an amp?

There aren't many awesome amps in that price range that I know of. You could get probably better tones with an used Line 6 Pod (X3 or one of the HD series Pods) and semi decent headphones, or some other modelling solution, if you're currently a bedroom player. Modellers are the most versatile thing ever, too, and are great for learning about what different amps and pedals sound like approximately, which will come in handy in the future.

Countless pros use the aforementioned Line 6 gear both in studio and on tour.

Yes I really need an amp, if you really want to know, I was originally going to buy another guitar because I think that was what the problem with my sound, then I tried my guitar on my friend's fender mustang 2 and it sounded awesome.

This is the amp that came with my guitar.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Compact-10-Watt-Practice-Amp-EQ-and-Distortion-Channel-/360813592716?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item54022a808c

Yeah, horrible isn't it. Not even a proper eq.
See if you can find a Peavey Vypyr 30 new or used in your budget. The 12" speaker makes a huge difference in sound, especially for what you play
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For the music genres you mentioned, I wouldn't get the Vox Valvetronix nor the Fender Mustang. They're great, but they excel at low to mid-gain.

The Peavey Vypyr would be a better option for you, and an alternative would be a Roland Cube.

However, I suggest you buy a Vypyr or a Cube with a 12-inch speaker. It really makes a lot of difference.
Either go used or save up a bit more so that you can afford them brand new, but it's definitely worth it to have the bigger speaker.

EDIT: damn, ninja'd by Robb
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
A$250 isn't gonna get you much. A Blackstar HT1, Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube, that's about it. If you can find a cheap Vypyr 30 on Gumtree, that'd be my recommendation.
Quote by Linkerman
For the music genres you mentioned, I wouldn't get the Vox Valvetronix nor the Fender Mustang. They're great, but they excel at low to mid-gain.

The Peavey Vypyr would be a better option for you, and an alternative would be a Roland Cube.

However, I suggest you buy a Vypyr or a Cube with a 12-inch speaker. It really makes a lot of difference.
Either go used or save up a bit more so that you can afford them brand new, but it's definitely worth it to have the bigger speaker.

EDIT: damn, ninja'd by Robb

Would it be better to just buy a standard 12 inch, and then get a multi effects pedal to add all the different effects?
You need more money. Au$250 is not going to buy shit unless you can find a junky flogging off something he's just stolen to fund his next fit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You need more money. Au$250 is not going to buy shit unless you can find a junky flogging off something he's just stolen to fund his next fit.

i got an Gibson SG from a guy at 3am and he was out of blow. $250. and yes i had a friend and we both have conceal and carry liscenses, and we we both were carrying. in check out as fast as we could and out the door as fast as we could.

worth attempting...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I had a junky come up to me at a gig to sell me an amp. I didn't need no gun to follow him out to his car, he was off his head. We could have slapped him down before he knew it was coming.
That's how I came to own that JCM900. He said it was his and wasn't stolen and at the price he was asking I wasn't going to ask too many questions. I gave him the money and got the **** out of there before he changed his mind.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I had a junky come up to me at a gig to sell me an amp. I didn't need no gun to follow him out to his car, he was off his head. We could have slapped him down before he knew it was coming.
That's how I came to own that JCM900. He said it was his and wasn't stolen and at the price he was asking I wasn't going to ask too many questions. I gave him the money and got the **** out of there before he changed his mind.

nice. more people should do it. seriously. even for the flip. thats why i refresh CL every hour between 1am and 4am, if they posted at that time, i figure they have to be awake so i call. then i jump on it. i traded this drunk guy a MIM strat for a 1/400 production SG (#11 in series) i even kept my case and took his. works great. this was during the day though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Nobody can tell me that drugs are no good for anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Nobody can tell me that drugs are no good for anything.

most definitely.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
A$250 isn't gonna get you much. A Blackstar HT1, Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube, that's about it. If you can find a cheap Vypyr 30 on Gumtree, that'd be my recommendation.

I think I may be able to get a vypyr 30, but if I stretch another $50 I could get a vypyr 75, would that be worth the extra $50?
Yes
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by alanw410
I think I may be able to get a vypyr 30, but if I stretch another $50 I could get a vypyr 75, would that be worth the extra $50?

+1 yes. for $50 more definitely

just don't go anything smaller than the 30 watt.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Quote by alanw410
+1 yes. for $50 more definitely

just don't go anything smaller than the 30 watt.

+3,1415
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Sorry about reviving this dead post.

Would a used Roland Cube 60 be worth the buy for A$280?
Yeah. Just be certain that it is actually the guitar one. There are also bass and keyboards versions. I've got an old Bass Cube 60 from the 80's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah. Just be certain that it is actually the guitar one. There are also bass and keyboards versions. I've got an old Bass Cube 60 from the 80's.

Yeah its a guitar one.

I can get either that one for A$280
or a vypyr 75 for A$300
or a Vypyr 30 for A$200
Tough call between the Cube 60 and the Vyper 75. The Vyper does metal better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Tough call between the Cube 60 and the Vyper 75. The Vyper does metal better.

What about 80x vs vypyr 75
Quote by alanw410
What about 80x vs vypyr 75

I'd still go with the Vypyr, but the Cube does a great job as well.

Can't you try both before buying? At this point it would be the best option, so you can decide for yourself which one sounds better to your ears.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
For metal, still the Vyper. I'd go for the Cube if I was playing other stuff a lot as well, but for metal - the Vyper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification