Page 1 of 2
So the Liberal government in Queensland have authorised mass dredging at a site near the Great Barrier Reef and the dumping of the waste materials at a site only 40km away from the reef. This allows them to open an massive coal terminal in northern QLD.

There's a lot of anger (and rightly so) about this. Ben & Jerrys have added themselves into the frey with a "Scoop ice cream not the reef" campaign, supporting a preexisting WWF campaign. http://www.benandjerry.com.au/flavours/reef-scoop-tour

The QLD are government are naturally annoyed because the coal industry is paying them a lot of money. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/ben-and-jerrys-ice-cream-hurting-reef-qld-govt-20140429-37eg7.html
and accused B&Js, and the WWF of lying.

As a side event, vegans and various green voters are now boycotting Ben & Jerry's because they claim to support environmentalism but are apparently one of the biggest users of palm oil and because of the various ethical debates within the dairy industry.

Basically I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts about this. Whether they have a point that a company that has (apparently) a bad environmental record is being hypocritical supporting an environmental campaign or whether they should support a major company that is trying to do something good, while their own operations are potentially bad.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
They should probably focus on the imminent coal mining instead of boycotting Ben & Jerrys...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
B&J's might be hypocrites, but the coal mining is going to be a shitton more destructive to the ecosystem than what B&J's are doing.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Kensai
They should probably focus on the imminent coal mining instead of boycotting Ben & Jerrys...

But then the Australian economy would fail and they wouldn't be able to buy their over priced plant based products. Plus that would be a sensible opinion which tends not to be compatible with hippies
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Apr 29, 2014,
I only buy gourmet ice cream with simple but quality ingredients lists. lel palm oil.

but reef should be protected, palm oil is widely used by a lot of companies and reducing it's use is much different issue that requires changing the way the food industry operates. ben & jerrys are just playing the industry's game.

the reef has a big ecological and environmental effect and having such a mine near it sets a precedent that can lead to the reef slowly being encroached on.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
I only buy gourmet ice cream with simple but quality ingredients lists. lel palm oil.

but reef should be protected, palm oil is widely used by a lot of companies and reducing it's use is much different issue that requires changing the way the food industry operates. ben & jerrys are just playing the industry's game.

the reef has a big ecological and environmental effect and having such a mine near it sets a precedent that can lead to the reef slowly being encroached on.

For what it's worth I agree with you. Ben and Jerrys should be supported because it is a good cause. The palm oil problem is a separate issue that should be tackled in a different way/time.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by MakinLattes
It's kind of redundant for vegans to boycott an ice cream company.

Touche. I should have phrased it better. There's a general boycott from environmentalists towards Ben & Jerrys. Vegans are actively posting videos etc highlighting the problems within the palm oil and dairy industries.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Environment Minister Andrew Powell wants Australians to boycott the American company, saying they’ve damaged the reputation of the reef and jeopardised jobs and tourism dollars.

‘‘Another company has signed up to the campaign of lies and deceit that’s been propagated by WWF,’’ Mr Powell said.

‘‘The only people taking a scoop out of the reef is Ben and Jerry’s and Unilever.

The response from Queensland's Environment minister to Ben and Jerry is almost literally "no u"
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
we should protect the reef.
Reef is such a cool word.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
The reef is super important to the world's water, we have to protect it. If that means I can't eat delicious B&J's, for some political and completely non-environmemtal reason, so be it. Hippies don't make any god damned sense to me.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Obviously protect the area of the environment which is more threatened first.

Palm oil plantations are pretty. But poor tigers/other animals. Poor me who breathes in smoke from forest fires started to clear land for palm oil plantations countless times a year . I like Cherry Garcia though
cat
Ahh, Australia, where we haven't had a reliable leader in decades. We need that reef, without it we have only got that giant rock in the middle. Our politicians need replacing, now. The Labour Party plans for a communist future and the liberals will create a giant class gap, the greens will drive us back to the dark ages and don't get me started on the Clive Palmer United Party.
"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy"- Vegans
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
So mining companies are destroying the great barrier reef, but the real problem is the vegans
If they ate some ice cream they'd probably be much happier.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
If they ate some ice cream they'd probably be much happier.

Unless they're Diabetic, in which case they'll lose a foot and go blind. That's the kind of thing that can put a real dampener on your mood.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
Unless they're Diabetic, in which case they'll lose a foot and go blind. That's the kind of thing that can put a real dampener on your mood.

I guess you didn't get the scoop on the joke
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I guess you didn't get the scoop on the joke

I see what you did there
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
as far as I know, Ben and Jerry's is actually a pretty well intentioned company that seems to be pretty socially responsible. so, even if there are ethical debates in the dairy industry and such, I imagine there really is nothing for the company to really gain from supporting this, so why blame them for something comparitively negligible of a problem?
this is actually one of the major problems with overly extreme positions on things, environmentalism being a popular overly extreme position, by taking such a harsh position you can limit real progress by fighting things that are better than the current standard, similar examples are protesting nuclear energy or natural gas because they aren't perfect, but they're better than coal fire (which is frequently what's currently used and remains the status-quot every time people protest nuclear and the like) so its a step in the right direction and things have to be done in steps, not in massive economy mangling leaps that require all others to be in philosophical agreement with your position to actually happen
Ah yes, fuck Ben and Jerrys for doing the same thing as everyone else who makes ice cream but for also trying to do some good things. They should just be complete assholes instead, that would be better.

Also I don't understand how engineers ever come up with projects like "Lets totally destroy the environment to make a couple bucks." They go over ethics in engineering classes.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I really can't figure out why the hell the Vegans/Environmentalists are being so damn stupid towards B&J. I mean, B&J is saying "we support the reef", which is a sentiment that Environmentalists agree with. The Vegans are just being idiots and clouding the issue.
fuck reefs, get money
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by captaincrunk
but vegans are fucking stupid, so it's more likely that they'll pass out from hunger first
Wow, you're such an asshole.
Quote by psyks
Wow, you're such an asshole.

Going vegan is an entirely political decision, and is detrimental to your health. I met a person who was taking chemical supplements (B12) because her vegan diet was so unhealthy. The politics that a person uses to argue why they have gone vegan are typically propaganda, and most vegans are completely misinformed about the issue. I've even heard people claim that humans are not meant to eat meat from people who are clearly ignoring the fact that we have sharp teeth like all other omnivores and carnivores. Maybe he used a dick-ish way of saying it, but his objections against vegans are completely valid.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Page 1 of 2