Page 1 of 2
Why are a good portion of users on this site so condescending?

If you think it's a dumb question don't answer; if you are moderator close the dham thing.

I hate logging on and seeing everyone b* tching about how "so & so" doesn't understand modes aren't relevant.

Maybe, its all the people who play, "Blackened Death Metal"

I guess your are suppose to give off a devlish vibe in that genre
Quote by Sti Eci Tehpor
Why are a good portion of users on this site so condescending?

Because the internet gives us an opportunity to reinvent ourselves as the experts that we really are not.
My take:

It gets old. We spend years of our lives, and I think it goes without saying that when you put the work in, you learn to appreciate what it takes to have the skillsets that we do.

So when people come in, looking for quick fixes, and discussing things way above their level, showing little to no inclination or evidence of personal investment, rather somehow expecting (as if they are the only ones ever) some sort of entitlement for a personally directed guitar lesson, at the expense of someone else's time, it will start to chip away, after a while, and you become less accommodating.

I have had to step away for months at a time, because this place after a while seems to become a never ending flood of idiots - read, those who have their hands out, and their minds and ears closed. I don't mind if someone doesn't know something, but when they arent willing to take ownership of their issues, and point the finger at themselves, for example "Hey guys I don't know theory but I'd like you to explain how to (do this thing that needs a deeper understanding and foundational skillsets than I currently do not posses or show inclination to do anything to go out and learn it, other than Google the answer for)" then I'm not going to lose sleep over not further empowering someones laziness, excuses, and willful ignorance.

Here's another problem:

No one here likes to be told that they aren't ready to understand the answer to the questions they are asking. They get their feathers ruffled and puff up and are indignant that the world doesn't work they way they think it should. And when someone dares to tell them otherwise, well now we are the ones being condescending, as if we should be the ones to fix their understanding, by sheer virtue that they have posted in a free guitar forum. No, instead they point fingers at us, and we are the "problem".

That's why. And I rarely see that most people are willing to swallow the truth in humility and go work on themselves, when given the truth. Most people show me they feel they should be entitled to the same knowledge understanding and skillsets, without putting in any of the work or money or time investment that many of us had to, and that's ludicrous. If we see that you aren't doing your part, most of us, aren't going to obligate ourselves, though you're sure to draw out a few bleeding heart types, who will throw you fish all day long.

But when I see someone sincere, and putting in the work, and moving with humility and not entitlement, I'll bend over backwards to help them.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Apr 29, 2014,
I take everything everyone says on her with a grain of salt. 75% of my time spent on forums here is irrelevant to guitar, the other 25 coming from amp/guitar talk. If it came to discussing theory or tastes, forget about it.
MT is more than willing to help, IF people are willing to acknowledge a few things. For instance, a common issue is that people ask questions about modes. Then, it becomes quite clear within 3 posts that they don't even understand how the basics of keys and harmony work. So, rather than going, "Ok, where should I start on keys and harmony"...they go off on some bullshit about how "They just want to know why their chord progression is in (insert key here)" and keep trying to tell us it's a modal progression. The mode example happens ALL THE TIME. Is it really any surprise that regs come down harshly on that kind of thing? We're sick of hearing it. And we're sick of people thinking that if they just learn modes, then they'll achieve some pinnacle of rock god-ness.

The point is, there's way too many people who show up here and want shortcuts. They don't want to go through the work. They don't want to learn the basics. They want to skip right to the intermediate/advanced stuff without even having the knowledge to understand the intermediate/advanced stuff. AND IT'S ANNOYING, when they refuse to acknowledge that they need to learn more basic stuff.
Well said, Sean. Too often the rudiments like keys and the major scale are overlooked. Just look at the work of some of our top tab contributors where you'll find Bb being named A# in a flat key and worse. It's difficult to find a diplomatic way of pointing these flaws out and facilitating change.
Chyea Sean, keep doin what you doin

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Sti Eci Tehpor
Maybe, its all the people who play, "Blackened Death Metal"

I can't tell if that's a joke or not, but I laughed at the Blackened part.

But it's like how these intelligent fellows have said, everyone wants a shortcut, so they come here and hope for everything to be laid out in full for them.

I was guilty of it when I first came here many moons ago. Granted, I had no idea how anything musical worked so I asked some stupid questions. Questions that I found answers to with a very little searching through the internet and what not. But I quickly learned the basics and taught myself a thing or two, so I realized I looked stupid asking those things. That's why a lot of people come off as 'condescending'.

But then there will always be people who "want to watch the world burn".
So how would any of you, TS especially, approach this:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/gary_lewis/my_hearts_symphony_crd.htm

without coming across condescending? Or, because no advice has been solicited, is this best left unaddressed until a learning musician comes in MT and asks why there seems to be no rhyme or reason for naming some chords with a sharp name and some with a flat?

Or worse, wait until 30 other people flood UG with similar work because they learn "theory" from tabs like this?
Quote by GuitarMunky
Because the internet gives us an opportunity to reinvent ourselves as the experts that we really are not.

this is the answer, everything else is a tangent

also, the majority of us are pretty young (yes, 20something is still young) so the answers here are bound to be a little more angsty
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by Sti Eci Tehpor
your are

Yeah, there are definitely times I wana try and explain something & then I realize I cant even convey what i'm trying to say, cuz i barely know why I play what I play when I play.

:

I make impulsive posts at times. This was one of them.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
this is the answer, everything else is a tangent

also, the majority of us are pretty young (yes, 20something is still young) so the answers here are bound to be a little more angsty

agreed
Blues(IMO) is the answer at start for players trying to get single note lyricism up to speed . I just wish I had understood that when I first started a few years back. it's frustrating to think about all the time I wasted.
Last edited by Sti Eci Tehpor at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by P_Trik
So how would any of you, TS especially, approach this:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/gary_lewis/my_hearts_symphony_crd.htm

without coming across condescending? Or, because no advice has been solicited, is this best left unaddressed until a learning musician comes in MT and asks why there seems to be no rhyme or reason for naming some chords with a sharp name and some with a flat?

Or worse, wait until 30 other people flood UG with similar work because they learn "theory" from tabs like this?

I don't know that song.

First thing I would do is listen to the song, then write out the measures on paper. This always helps me learn a song; to see if a chord listed on the chart is a whole, half, or quarter measure. Also I will be able to see if a chords is or isn't properly placed on top of the lyrics.
Last edited by Sti Eci Tehpor at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by P_Trik
Well said, Sean. Too often the rudiments like keys and the major scale are overlooked. Just look at the work of some of our top tab contributors where you'll find Bb being named A# in a flat key and worse. It's difficult to find a diplomatic way of pointing these flaws out and facilitating change.

I just view note pools of sound that i draw from and try to relate those note pools to others that sound proper. I want to expand my theory eventually, but for now I just want to simplify the pools to be as accessible as possible.

I probably should view a D# and a Eb differently; when Im playing, I'm not thinking about that , I just care about if it sounds correct. I have Image of the fretboard, which I use as a reference to certain musical ideas that I associate with that shape. (mainly arpeggiate 12 bar blues mainly from this book( http://www.amazon.com/All-Blues-Soloing-Jazz-Guitar/dp/0786642858 ) that I have transposed to different octaves and keys & then I will try to through in some melodic minor and then drop 3 melodic minor{my favorite note pool(though I try to use it very sparingly for a nice effect)} when it feels right) ( I love Jazzy intervals)

Now, most of what I am say is probably skewed since I am self taught; but in the last month, I have felt so much more comfortable and everything has suddenly come together. I don't really know, sometimes I feel on the right track & sometimes I feel so lost.

ramble ramble
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
MT is more than willing to help, IF people are willing to acknowledge a few things. For instance, a common issue is that people ask questions about modes. Then, it becomes quite clear within 3 posts that they don't even understand how the basics of keys and harmony work. So, rather than going, "Ok, where should I start on keys and harmony"...they go off on some bullshit about how "They just want to know why their chord progression is in (insert key here)" and keep trying to tell us it's a modal progression. The mode example happens ALL THE TIME. Is it really any surprise that regs come down harshly on that kind of thing? We're sick of hearing it. And we're sick of people thinking that if they just learn modes, then they'll achieve some pinnacle of rock god-ness.

The point is, there's way too many people who show up here and want shortcuts. They don't want to go through the work. They don't want to learn the basics. They want to skip right to the intermediate/advanced stuff without even having the knowledge to understand the intermediate/advanced stuff. AND IT'S ANNOYING, when they refuse to acknowledge that they need to learn more basic stuff.

Sam, there is definately no question, you sure love those bldy modes don't ya... I mean like with a passion!! lol

now, serious question: if you had the chance to a front row seat (live) in this lesson, I can't help wonder how you might fair with skolnik's constant mode reference?

I'm guessing skolnik would definately learn something that day!

Peace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU35hA_DR9E
Quote by tonibet72
Sam, there is definately no question, you sure love those bldy modes don't ya... I mean like with a passion!! lol

now, serious question: if you had the chance to a front row seat (live) in this lesson, I can't help wonder how you might fair with skolnik's constant mode reference?

I'm guessing skolnik would definately learn something that day!

Peace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU35hA_DR9E
Skolnick actually knows what he's talking about though.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Skolnick actually knows what he's talking about though.

You should probably watch the video
Quote by GuitarMunky
You should probably watch the video

Eh, probably. But the point is, regardless of the video, that Skolnick generally knows more theory than the guys I was complaining about. I'll watch the video and report back though.

Edit:
Around 0:30, does he say, "We're going to go up the arpeggio and down the mode"? Um...what?! This video is gonna drive me nuts. It's all your fault, tonibet!

Edit2:
UGH! It's all just arpeggios, Skolnick. Why, Tonibet? WHY?!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 29, 2014,
In my opinion, a lot of people here who are doing the most bitching about newbies dont know diddle about theory themselves--that includes the more respected posters, and especially about modes. Homies forget that modal music isnt a unicorn, that you can easily find concerts of modal music played in traditional tuning systems. That modal music was what existed for hundreds of years before tonality. Its actually very easy to learn about these things, the Germans loved to write treatises
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Eh, probably. But the point is, regardless of the video, that Skolnick generally knows more theory than the guys I was complaining about. I'll watch the video and report back though.

Edit:
Around 0:30, does he say, "We're going to go up the arpeggio and down the mode"? Um...what?! This video is gonna drive me nuts. It's all your fault, tonibet!

Edit2:
UGH! It's all just arpeggios, Skolnick. Why, Tonibet? WHY?!
Yeah sorry man, was never meant to offend...

I just couldn't erase the mental image... you, front row seat to the workshop... ticket kindly provided by UG... you lining up all excited... "yeeah gonna see alex skolniiiiick... mofo knows his shiiiiit".... and right... at about.... the 15th modal mention... poor alex, soon to be reduced to just skull...neck!!!

Peace dude!... it is CRAZY SAM ATAX isn't it!!! that's cool just checkin!!
It's late teens and early 20s people (16-23ish) who probably make up the majority of active posters.
They don't realize when they're being an asshole and the few that do think it's cool.
It's like this in all larger internet communities.
Quote by tonibet72
Yeah sorry man, was never meant to offend...

I just couldn't erase the mental image... you, front row seat to the workshop... ticket kindly provided by UG... you lining up all excited... "yeeah gonna see alex skolniiiiick... mofo knows his shiiiiit".... and right... at about.... the 15th modal mention... poor alex, soon to be reduced to just skull...neck!!!

Peace dude!... it is CRAZY SAM ATAX isn't it!!! that's cool just checkin!!

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Eh, probably. But the point is, regardless of the video, that Skolnick generally knows more theory than the guys I was complaining about.

I don't know about that.
I am somewhat of a newbie and I find that while some people can come off as brash or harsh, it is nothing but the truth (for the ones who truly know what the answer is) in my opinion. It is a little intimidating to ask what I think might be incredibly stupid but I plow ahead anyways. A lot of people have opened my eyes to the answers to some of my questions. I always am thankful for their knowledge and do not try to have a chip on my shoulder. I think Sean is right, it's more of the people asking questions needs to listen with an open mind instead of having a preconceived notion of the answer.

There have been many people here who have helped me. But they are the straight shooters. If you want to get better, they will freaking advise you, honest and true. They will tell you what you are doing wrong. And seriously, what more could you ask for to improve? For the grand old price of FREE...
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
It's annoying to try to help people and then they get mad at you for it because it isn't what they want to hear.
Quote by Killsocket
I am somewhat of a newbie and I find that while some people can come off as brash or harsh, it is nothing but the truth (for the ones who truly know what the answer is) in my opinion. It is a little intimidating to ask what I think might be incredibly stupid but I plow ahead anyways. A lot of people have opened my eyes to the answers to some of my questions. I always am thankful for their knowledge and do not try to have a chip on my shoulder. I think Sean is right, it's more of the people asking questions needs to listen with an open mind instead of having a preconceived notion of the answer.

There have been many people here who have helped me. But they are the straight shooters. If you want to get better, they will freaking advise you, honest and true. They will tell you what you are doing wrong. And seriously, what more could you ask for to improve? For the grand old price of FREE...

Much respect for your post. You ever need a hand, PM me, or if I ever see your posts for help, I'll do my best! You're someone that apparently gets it.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Killsocket

See, Killsocket here understands.

Hit me up, if you ever need help. Like Sean said, I'll do my best.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 30, 2014,
Crazy and Sean, you and several others have helped me quite a bit already. Much thanks! Maybe it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I am now better because of it.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Quote by Sean0913
My take:

It gets old. We spend years of our lives, and I think it goes without saying that when you put the work in, you learn to appreciate what it takes to have the skillsets that we do.

So when people come in, looking for quick fixes, and discussing things way above their level, showing little to no inclination or evidence of personal investment, rather somehow expecting (as if they are the only ones ever) some sort of entitlement for a personally directed guitar lesson, at the expense of someone else's time, it will start to chip away, after a while, and you become less accommodating.

I have had to step away for months at a time, because this place after a while seems to become a never ending flood of idiots - read, those who have their hands out, and their minds and ears closed. I don't mind if someone doesn't know something, but when they arent willing to take ownership of their issues, and point the finger at themselves, for example "Hey guys I don't know theory but I'd like you to explain how to (do this thing that needs a deeper understanding and foundational skillsets than I currently do not posses or show inclination to do anything to go out and learn it, other than Google the answer for)" then I'm not going to lose sleep over not further empowering someones laziness, excuses, and willful ignorance.

Here's another problem:

No one here likes to be told that they aren't ready to understand the answer to the questions they are asking. They get their feathers ruffled and puff up and are indignant that the world doesn't work they way they think it should. And when someone dares to tell them otherwise, well now we are the ones being condescending, as if we should be the ones to fix their understanding, by sheer virtue that they have posted in a free guitar forum. No, instead they point fingers at us, and we are the "problem".

That's why. And I rarely see that most people are willing to swallow the truth in humility and go work on themselves, when given the truth. Most people show me they feel they should be entitled to the same knowledge understanding and skillsets, without putting in any of the work or money or time investment that many of us had to, and that's ludicrous. If we see that you aren't doing your part, most of us, aren't going to obligate ourselves, though you're sure to draw out a few bleeding heart types, who will throw you fish all day long.

But when I see someone sincere, and putting in the work, and moving with humility and not entitlement, I'll bend over backwards to help them.

Best,

Sean

I really don't mean to pick on you here Sean but I seriously have to disagree with those that said this was a good post. It is jam packed with arrogance and condescension. A few highlights...
"discussing things way above their level"
"most people are [rarely]willing to swallow the truth in humility"
"a never ending flood of idiots"
"lazy and wilfully ignorant"
(If that's really how you see the place then what the fuck are you still doing here after all this time? )

Answering a question with a variation of "I could tell you but you wouldn't even understand, it's above your pay grade. You have to go do XYZ before it will even make sense to you" is condescending. It's not a matter of interpretation, it's a textbook example and could not be more clear cut.

So when the person that received an answer like this and calls it such they are accurately describing the response they received. Are they "puffed up" and "lacking humility"? No not really. They may, however, be a little indignant, but rightly so.

Then the shoe is on the other foot and it is the person that supplied the condescending answer that gets their feathers ruffled, puffs up, becomes indignant, and lacks humility labelling the other party "idiots", "unwilling to swallow the truth", "lazy", or "wanting something for nothing".

It IS a free guitar forum where musician's come to talk about music.

If someone asks a question then answer it, or don't. If they don't understand your answer and ask a follow up question, then you could elaborate with another answer - or don't. If you do answer back then you have entered into what is commonly referred to as "a conversation", about music. Which is what Musician's Talk is all about; talking about music.

Of course you are not obliged to visit the forum, if you do you are not obliged to open every thread and read it, if you do then you are certainly not obliged to respond in anyway, if you do respond then there are obligations in regard to how you respond.

You could hide behind the disclaimer - "I'm telling him "harsh truths" that he needs to hear. If he's not ready to hear them it's his fault." Ever think maybe it's the way you deliver the message. Besides, how hard is it to answer the question? Then when he doesn't understand it he can probe further if it's that important to him.

Don't want to waste your time with people that aren't wiling to put in the effort? You think there are "bleeding hearts" that will "throw him fish all day long"? Great!! That's a good thing for you because it means there is absolutely no need at all, and also no excuse, for you to post anything in that particular thread.

Unless you have a deep psychological need to let people know that you think you are smarter than they are by telling them you know the answer and not only do they not know it but they couldn't even understand it if you told it to them.

You talk big about humility while showing none in this thread.

Here's a lesson in humility...note the use of personal pronouns:
Quote by GuitarMunky

I don't really know any personal details about GuitarMunkey, he's been here longer than you but I know more about your qualifications and teaching business than I do about his (or anyone else's on this forum for that matter...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, humility.) From what I have learned over the years he's a professional guitar teacher and musician with years of experience. This is enough for many circles to consider him at least somewhat of an expert, and yet he readily includes himself along with everyone else in his description of us all as "not experts".

He puts everyone, including himself, on the same level , even though, just like you, he has invested money and years of time in his musical training. What he doesn't do though is talk himself up as some kind of expert frustrated by the constant stream of idiots that he apparently has to deal with every time he comes here.

One of the posts I've quoted displays humility; the other displays none whatsoever. It's not hard to figure out which is which.

Anyway, I'm not out to get you specifically here. Though I can certainly understand how you might feel that way, I make no apologies about it. I felt the post was pretty awful when I first read it. I left it at first but it seems to have a lot of sympathizers so I wanted to respond to with my take on the matter. I've said my piece and am happy to receive whatever response you or anyone else might have.
Si
Skolnick knows what is going on guys.

He refers to modes in the chord scale theory way. Thats how Jazz schools teach it. In this case a Dorian mode actually refers to a Mi13 arpeggio, played sequentially. Its just easier to learn it as a 'dorian' shape but functionally it is a Mi13 arpeggio.

Thats why later in the video he's referring to the 9th, 11th etc. he knows whats up.

Look into the Mark Levine Jazz theory book if you don't believe me. Its a totally normal thing in jazz education.

Is it the right way? thats debatable but it is the way the majority of schools do it.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at May 1, 2014,
^ So I guess you could say he...

...practises what he preaches?

Sorry

Quote by 20Tigers

I really don't mean to pick on you here Sean but I seriously have to disagree with those that said this was a good post. It is jam packed with arrogance and condescension. A few highlights...
"discussing things way above their level"
"most people are [rarely]willing to swallow the truth in humility"
"a never ending flood of idiots"
"lazy and wilfully ignorant"
(If that's really how you see the place then what the fuck are you still doing? )

Answering a question with a variation of "I could tell you but you wouldn't even understand, it's above your pay grade. You have to go do XYZ before it will even make sense to you" is condescending. It's not a matter of interpretation, it's a textbook example and could not be more clear cut.

So when the person that received such an answer calls it such they are accurately describing the response they received. Are they "puffed up" and "lacking humility"? No not really. They may, however, be a little indignant but rightly so.

Then the shoe is on the other foot and it is the person that supplied the condescending answer that gets their feathers ruffled, puffs up, becomes indignant, and lacks humility labelling the other party "idiots", "unwilling to swallow the truth", "lazy", or "wanting something for nothing".

It IS a free guitar forum where musician's come to talk about music.

Someone asks a question - answer, or don't. If they don't understand your answer and ask a follow up question - then you could elaborate with another answer - or don't. If you do answer back then you have entered into what is commonly referred to as "a conversation", about music. Which is what Musician's Talk is all about; talking about music.

Of course you are not obliged to visit the forum, if you do you are not obliged to open every thread and read it, if you do then you are certainly not obliged to respond in anyway, if you do respond then there are obligations in regard to how you respond.

You could hide behind the disclaimer - "I'm telling him "harsh truths" that he needs to hear. If he's not ready to hear them it's his fault." Ever think maybe it's the way you deliver the message. Besides, how hard is it to answer the question? Then when he doesn't understand it he can probe further if it's that important to him.

Don't want to waste your time with people that aren't wiling to put in the effort? You think there are "bleeding hearts" that will "throw him fish all day long"? Great!! That's a good thing for you because it means there is absolutely no need at all, and also no excuse, for you to post anything in the thread.

Unless you have a deep psychological need to let people know that you think you are smarter than they are by telling them you know the answer and not only do they not know it but they couldn't even understand it if you told it to them.

You talk big about humility while showing none in this thread.

Here's a lesson in humility...note the use of personal pronouns:

I don't really know the guy, he's been here longer than you but I know more about your qualifications and teaching business than I do about his...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, humility.) From what I have learned over the years he's a professional guitar teacher and musician with years of experience (and I believe recognized qualifications but not sure). This is enough in many circles to consider him at least somewhat of an expert, and yet he readily includes himself along with everyone else in his description of us all as "not experts".

He puts everyone including himself down on the same level, even though, just like you, he has invested money and years of time in his musical training. What he doesn't do though is talk himself up as some kind of expert frustrated by the constant stream of idiots that he apparently has to deal with every time he comes here.

One of the posts I've quoted displays humility; the other none whatsoever. It's not hard to figure out which is which.

Anyway, I'm not out to get you specifically here. Though I can certainly understand how you might feel that way I make no apologies about it. I felt the post was pretty awful when I first read it. I left it at first but it seems to have a lot of sympathizers so wanted to respond to with my take on the matter. I've said my piece and am happy to receive whatever response you might have.

Agreed.

I felt exactly the same when I first read it and I also held off posting because I didn't want to get jumped on, and also because I'm not as much of a regular in here (nor know anywhere near as much music theory) as the actual regulars.

Personally, I don't consider "bleeding heart" to be an insult. I'll help anyone I can, assuming it's within my ability (I'm no expert at theory, the regulars here know way more than I do) and assuming I can be bothered (but if I can't that's on me, not the person asking the question). No preconditions, no "you have to admit you know nothing" or any similar bullshit, no condescension. Maybe an odd really bad joke (not at the question-asker's expense).

I also found it pretty funny how Sean complained about "entitlement" when he's using a free website to constantly hawk his wares.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 1, 2014,
Quote by Killsocket

This is a very good post in my opinion.

In my opinion most of the stuff said on here is just truthful advice, and it´s not intended to be harsh or offensive. When someone posts a thread and ask a question, my goal is always to answer the question as truthfully as possible. Not suger-coating it, and at the same time not being a prick. Just give my general thought on the matter.

As mentioned earlier, most of us regular users are quite young in the grand scheme of things. Like myself, i am in my 20s and have still much to learn, but at the same time i have advice to share, aswell as opinions to share. And that is good, cause maybe you get a different perspective on things from someone like me that is brought up in Sweden, or someone brought up in India etc. Our personal backgrounds shape the musician side of us aswell.

There are many great people on here that are more than willing to share knowledge Crazysam, Sean, 20Tigers, macashmack, AlanHB being a few.

Of course you get the occasional prick coming around and trolling the MT or GT forums, but most of us are regulars and often enough we all provide the same type of advice and assistance that is needed.

Although, i don´t enter the mode related posts, those are as bad as political or religious debates. So i stay as far away as possible.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by British_Steal
Skolnick knows what is going on guys.

He refers to modes in the chord scale theory way. Thats how Jazz schools teach it. In this case a Dorian mode actually refers to a Mi13 arpeggio, played sequentially. Its just easier to learn it as a 'dorian' shape but functionally it is a Mi13 arpeggio.

Thats why later in the video he's referring to the 9th, 11th etc. he knows whats up.

Look into the Mark Levine Jazz theory book if you don't believe me. Its a totally normal thing in jazz education.

Is it the right way? thats debatable but it is the way the majority of schools do it.

I agree with you, I actually made mention of something similar in another thread recently (that context is everything). I was just having a laugh on account of Sam's love of modes, and the overall seeming mystery of modal interpretation (well on these forums anyway). Sorry never meant to to confuse others (who might still be trying to get their heads around them), but well said Steel, you make a very good point.
And of course Sam... laughing with you... but I think you get that!
Page 1 of 2