I realised that I'm struggling with a lack of confidence in my playing, my ability to play something and my ability to learn how to play something too.

Its a negative thought process thats pretty subtle and not all out negative talk. Just at the back of my head quietly saying "you'll never be able to play this or anything really good at all".
Everything i play is never good enough so i get stuck on things going over and Over them.
Its really holding me back and stressing me out now as I put a lot of pressure on myself as its things I've been playing years now. I also keep thinking I've left it too late to get good too.

Anyone else struggle with this affliction?
That's the number one battle you and many face, that inner voice that you have to learn to ignore, and bull ahead. When you hear it, what do you offer in response? If you are constantly doing things to improve your skills, and investing into your own development, then you could say "Well maybe not, but I'm not going to stop trying, and as long as I am putting in this work, I expect that I'm going to improve...just watch me".

Best,

Sean
Yeah thanks,that's what I'm trying to respond with now, a positive response.

It's hard though, I tend to overwhelm myself with all these things I want to learn then worry I won't have enough time to practice it all!! That tends to make me try and rush things too fast so that's something I need to overcome and just slow down.
Sean nailed it, it's all about putting in the effort and SLOWLY improving. Once you trust your skill, your confidence improves as well.

That's why I love this craft. You need to absolutely chisel away at progressing and realize nothing at all will be handed to you, and that seems to keep me motivated.
Quote by LTaces
I realised that I'm struggling with a lack of confidence in my playing, my ability to play something and my ability to learn how to play something too.

Its a negative thought process thats pretty subtle and not all out negative talk. Just at the back of my head quietly saying "you'll never be able to play this or anything really good at all".
Everything i play is never good enough so i get stuck on things going over and Over them.
Its really holding me back and stressing me out now as I put a lot of pressure on myself as its things I've been playing years now. I also keep thinking I've left it too late to get good too.

Anyone else struggle with this affliction?

How many hours a day do you play? If the answer is less than 2 or 3 hours per day, than you'll have to learn to be patient with your progress. If you've never put in that kind of serious practice time steadily, than it's perfectly normal for you to be struggling. There's no magic secret to getting good at guitar - put in the time and you'll be a good player. You should probably get a teacher if you have trouble self-motivating and moving forward.
Yep, i think its the lack of patience thats getting to me as well as not knowing what i need to do to improve.

I guess im so impatient due to all the years i wasted floating about not really focusing or finishing things.
Now im doing that im trying to rush to catch up on all the songs i want to learn now!
I had this problem too, I almost quit guitar back then. I spent about 6 months without touching the thing, saying to myself: That's just not for me. After that I decided to go back and what helped me was not thinking about improving. I just asked myself: "What's the point in improving at all? Am I really playing to be better?" The answer just came clear: "No. I'm playing because I love music, and that's all I need." All of sudden I wouldn't struggle with songs anymore, because I didn't want to nail them, I just wanted to play them, and after playing them, I just though I could get a better sound, and I did it.

There's a song by As I Lay Dying which says: "In looking to the end we have lost sight of where to begin", and I guess I just did that, I was so focused on improving that I forgot to enjoy what I was playing, the process of improving.

People say when you do something you enjoy, you do it better. They're right.