I'm basically a new guitarist...been playing abt 2-3 months. I find it so hard to pick up on the strumming in songs....can anyone please give me some feedback and advice on this.

I'm learning Brantley gilbert bottoms up and for the life of me I can not get what I'm hearing. This is probably so simple and I can not pick it up. Lol
go to justinguitar.com and start practicing his strumming lessons. after learning a few different strumming patterns, it'll be much easier to hear what the patterns are in the song. i find that when in a bind, the basic D D U D D U will work with most songs.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
I relate to this. Most of the good people on you tube, focus on chords and not strumming... I can easly find what Bm, a F or C are on google, but I can't learn how to strum there, even if I look at page 393045304 of the results.

I wish they would focus more on the rhythm and less on the chords.
Set yourself up for a straight hour or so of practice on it I'll bet you'll get it. It's all about being loose and after an hour it'll become mundane and you'll have no choice but to be loose.

Also are you keeping your hand constantly in an up down motion and skipping the strings on the offbeats or are you trying to stop and start with the song?
Quote by ddaugherty27
I'm basically a new guitarist...been playing abt 2-3 months. I find it so hard to pick up on the strumming in songs....can anyone please give me some feedback and advice on this.

I'm learning Brantley gilbert bottoms up and for the life of me I can not get what I'm hearing. This is probably so simple and I can not pick it up. Lol
Well Junior, I give you props for being eager and self confident. But, the truth is, the internet doesn't make perfect, practice does.

Three months isn't very much time in the life of a budding guitarist.

Most player's rhythm stroking is a developed personal style. Listen to "Mumford & Sons". All their lead singer's strumming sounds the same, yet still it's different in each song. This is all muscle memory, emotion, and practice.

At the end of the day, any song's rhythm can be whatever your heart desires. It can be your interpretation of the song. I know that isn't always the case to make a song recognizable, but many times it can be.

Rhythm guitar is practiced mimicry. Many rhythm patterns are so off beat and syncopated, they're even difficult to write.

The problem with a lot of today's music is that it's a lot of overdubbed sludge. An article I read about the new Rush album, has Alex Lifeson claiming 100 guitar overdubs to "thicken up the sound". If you were interested in Rush, I'd suggest going back toward their beginnings, and try to learn, "2112".

Anyway, the music of the late 60's and early 70's is the best material to learn rhythm guitar with. The music isn't overdubbed to a great degree, and the rhythms, are in many respects are the "lead guitar". The rhythms are very identifiable, and reproducible. Early Roling Stones, Beatles, and Tommy by the Who, are some of the best strum-alongs in existence.

Start by learning the chord progressions, either by ear, or from tabs. Then strum along with a song you like until you have the chords down. Turn off the recording, and play back what you remember, until your result sounds like the record.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 2, 2014,