Hello everyone!
I would like to buy a new combo amp and I need your advice on which one to choose. I Am looking for something that costs about 300$ and is good for playing metal. My best candidates for now are Roland Cube 20GX and Marshall MG30CFX. What do you guys think? I am a guitar beginner, so please go easy on me.
the peavey vypyrs get a good rep but i haven't tried them

are you in the USA?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the peavey vypyrs get a good rep but i haven't tried them

are you in the USA?

No, I am from Czech Republic.

Thanks for the tip.
Quote by adamishkos
Hello everyone!
I would like to buy a new combo amp and I need your advice on which one to choose. I Am looking for something that costs about 300$ and is good for playing metal. My best candidates for now are Roland Cube 20GX and Marshall MG30CFX. What do you guys think? I am a guitar beginner, so please go easy on me.

The Peavey Vypyr is great for that. The 6505 and Rectifier channels on it are really good. I played a 6505+ stack (a really popular, good metal amp) then played the imitation channel on the Vypyr and you can definitely hear the similarities.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
The Peavey Vypyr is great for that. The 6505 and Rectifier channels on it are really good. I played a 6505+ stack (a really popular, good metal amp) then played the imitation channel on the Vypyr and you can definitely hear the similarities.

Thank you, I will think about that.
I agree with the Peavey Vypyr suggestion.

Just make sure you get one with a 12-inch speaker, and it will be perfect for what you want.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I haven't played a Vypr but I have played a 6505+ 112 combo from Peavey. It's seriously awesome. There were two at Guitar Center each were 400$ used and I was playing a used one and it sounded great. I say go for that, but then again I've never played a Vypyr.

But I invite you to do what I did today and that is go to a store (or multiple stores) and bring your guitar and try every amp there.
Last edited by KillerPhail at Apr 29, 2014,
Peavy or Roland Cube yes.

Marshall MG or Spider no.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I would avoid the MG. For Roland, can you get a Cube 30 instead? The Cube 30 is great and has COSM amp modeling. The Cube 20 does not have amp modeling. I haven't played the Vypyr.