I'm looking into buying a new guitar. I'm in college so I can't be going out and buying a $1000 guitar either. My price range is about 300-600. I don't know if I'll buy one new or used, I tend to keep my options open. Basically I want something in there that is good quality. This one is for more of the metal stuff I play. Ill list some examples of the bands:

All That Remains
Killswitch Engage
Bullet for my Valentine
Five Finger Death Punch
Trivium
Atreyu
Drowning Pool
Slipknot

..so you get the general idea of music I want this guitar for. Any ideas really work. I know it depends on the person but I want to know what everyone else likes.
You can find a nice used Ibanez RG 570 or prestige 1570 in that price range if you like a Floyd rose style bridge. I also like the PRS SE line in that price range as well. Not the most metal of guitars but you will be hard pressed to beat the quality.
I've heard good things about Ibanez in metal. My friend has one and he says he really hates those floating bridges (I'm assuming that is what the Floyd Rose bridge is) but besides that it has a great sound and fast feel. So far that's my number 1 choice.
They offer several models with fixed bridges if you would rather not have a Floyd. Learning to string and setup a Floating trem can be daunting at first, but with patience I feel anyone could do it. If you don't want to mess with learning I would suggest a fixed bridge because I think being able to string and setup your own instrument is imperative.
Seeing as how you have Trivium and Slipknot in there too I'd recommend a 7 string (because of Slipknot's downtuning, not that they use 7 strings, but Trivium does). I'm a personal fan of Ibanez. The RG7421 is right in your price range with enough leftover to swap the pups too (which I would recommend).
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by jamster92
I got the Ibanez RGIR27FE Iron Label 7 string brand new couple of weeks ago, works like a charm. F***ing amazig tone! I recommend this guitar to anyone.

http://www.samash.com/ibanez-rgir27fe-iron-label-7-string-electric-guitar-irgir27fb

I was tempted just today by an Ibanez S style Iron Label hardtail 6 string, with DiMarzios (which I guess the whole IL series is equipped with?). Anyways, hard to argue something like that for the money.

That being said, they seem a little out of TS' budget, and I believe they're fairly new so coming into a used one might be tough. I'd recommend Sterling's JP60 or even JP100D (DiMarzios) to TS as well; same sort of price range, but it might be easier to find a used one.

That said if I were looking at something in that price range I'd probably hunt around for a good Epiphone Les Paul, but TS musical interests may not cater to something like that.
I think I was on the right track with what I'm hearing (except the 7 string which shocked me ). One other brand I've seen come up is Jackson. Any comments on those?
ESP and Jackson are probably the best for metal. For your price range, you could probably find good guitar for around 500-600 in the EC series (ESP) or X-series (Jackson).
Okay, before you get further bombarded with recommendations from people, if anyone is going to make any kind of educated guess as to what you're looking for, you need to fill this in.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Please be as detailed as you possibly can, and please be honest about what you are looking for. But also be willing to accept compromise in some areas to benefit others. I know that you have already listed bands that you like and what your budget is, but we need more information than that. Specifically in regards to things like pickup configurations, neck shapes and profiles, fretboard curvature and any other features and hardware you're looking for.

If you don't have very much experience with guitars at all, I strongly advise you actually acquire some experience with a range of guitars at a guitar store before you buy anything at all.

I wouldn't recommend getting a 7 string right now because 7 strings tend to be significantly more expensive than the 6 string equivalent yet they don't really provide you with that much more guitar to learn on in the grand scheme of things. For the sake of learning the fundamentals of guitar, a 6 string is perfectly adequate.

I would strongly advise against getting a Floyd Rose bridge if you're a beginner too, as so many beginners get so frustrated with them, especially if you like to change tunings frequently, which you will almost certainly be doing if you like those sorts of bands. Make getting a fixed bridge guitar a priority.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Okay, before you get further bombarded with recommendations from people, if anyone is going to make any kind of educated guess as to what you're looking for, you need to fill this in.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Please be as detailed as you possibly can, and please be honest about what you are looking for. But also be willing to accept compromise in some areas to benefit others. I know that you have already listed bands that you like and what your budget is, but we need more information than that. Specifically in regards to things like pickup configurations, neck shapes and profiles, fretboard curvature and any other features and hardware you're looking for.

If you don't have very much experience with guitars at all, I strongly advise you actually acquire some experience with a range of guitars at a guitar store before you buy anything at all.

I wouldn't recommend getting a 7 string right now because 7 strings tend to be significantly more expensive than the 6 string equivalent yet they don't really provide you with that much more guitar to learn on in the grand scheme of things. For the sake of learning the fundamentals of guitar, a 6 string is perfectly adequate.

I would strongly advise against getting a Floyd Rose bridge if you're a beginner too, as so many beginners get so frustrated with them, especially if you like to change tunings frequently, which you will almost certainly be doing if you like those sorts of bands. Make getting a fixed bridge guitar a priority.

I've played guitar for about 8 years, somewhat on and off but I'd consider myself to be well above a beginner guitarist. I have played with a Floyd Rose bridge before and it might take some getting used to but I do find the Floyd Rose kit to be really fun to use.
Here it goes

Budget: no more than $600

Favorite artists: I seriously have way too many but the purpose of this guitar would be to get a sound along the lines of these bands:
All That Remains
Killswitch Engage
Bullet for my Valentine
Five Finger Death Punch
Trivium
Atreyu
Drowning Pool
Slipknot

Preferences: I'm incredibly lenient on the body shape but I like the looks of the BC Rich Mockingbird, Jackson Kelly, S series Jackson, and Schecter Hellraiser although I am open to other styles. I'm aiming for 24 frets.

Pickups: Tough to say on these because I've always used passive. I like the sharp tone I get from the passive pickups but I think for this guitar I'm veering toward active pickups. Again, open to options.

New or used: Doesn't matter. If used I'm looking for something in great condition.

Current gear: Pretty basic. I own an Epiphone SG that I love. It plays extremely well. I also own a BC Rich Bich (6 string) and some off brand Graffix Les Paul thing. I've always used a tiny little Line 6 amp I bought off my friend for $10 but I'm covered on the amp by my friend. That about sums that up.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 30, 2014,
Get a used guitar. I got this two days ago from Musician's Friend for $730 sans VAT and shipping.

Try before you buy, though, as you might not like what you get.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by Curtis321
I think I was on the right track with what I'm hearing (except the 7 string which shocked me ). One other brand I've seen come up is Jackson. Any comments on those?

That's the 7 string i have, it sounds amazballs, no problems at all bought new. I would recommend this guitar to anyone who wants to play metal.

Ibanez has been getting better and better by the minute in my opinion, I have two Ibanez and a Jackson, honestly you can go with any brand, just pick the one that would fit you best, honestly. I've been playing for 8 years and it all comes down to that. Tone, in my opinion, you can get it through the amp with a good pedal, or just a good cab and head themselves. But guitar wise, it's mostly quality, Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, Gibson, etc., they're all good in quality.