I own a '65 Deluxe Reverb and I was wondering if there was a way to get the reverb tank to sound twangier and drippier like a '63 Spring Reverb tank. I've heard of people unscrewing their onboard tanks and suspending them but I'm wondering what works.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I suggest not messing with it and just use it like the total surf guitar dude you are. Modded reverb tanks often become dead reverb tanks.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You can try replacing it with one of the nicer Accutronics tanks. More springs, longer tank, etc. Will all change the reverb tone. They're maybe $20-30/pop.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
it's not that it's bad. it's just not drippy and doesn't have the twang/gain Fender tanks have.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i keep a few extra around, and have found cheap. i like accutronics a lot though. second to fender. i am planning to build the fender tube reverb unit. and i have a vintage fender tank i am saving for that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
would it be worth looking into an accutronics tank? I just want the gain and drip the old Fender units had.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
would it be worth looking into an accutronics tank? I just want the gain and drip the old Fender units had.

this is somthing i wish i could answer, but cannot. i am unsure what is compatible with what, they may have different resistance (ohms). possibly different for tube driven reverb, so i am not comfortable asking.

accutronics are very nice. i have thrown them in a few old amps that ones had problems. and i was fine.

its not quite twin reverb/ or deluxe reverb, etc, but it will sound good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Original Fender reverb units were manufactured by Accutronics. Whether they were any better than what you can get today is a very subjective question. I doubt that suspending the existing reverb tank would improve the sound at all. Leave it alone. If you want something that you can control, then your best bet is to go with something digital.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've been eyeballing the Catalinbread Topanga but I'm concerned that I can't play it first.
Quote by chip46