I just purchased a 2009 les paul studio. New at playing guitar. I also got a fender muatang iii v.2 amp. Not sure this is the right amp for me. Thinking about line 6 spider jam or cube amp. Love g&r and that era of music. Any suggestions. I live in a town house and don't need super loud.
Really, if you're new at playing guitar the Fender Mustang 3 will be fine for now. And while as you improve you'll look to get better equipment, neither the Line 6 Spider nor the Roland Cubes are improvements on the Mustang for pretty much any style of music.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
If you just want something simple (not programmable) with good tone maybe look at small tube amps. Something 20 watts max, 5 watts of tube is plenty loud for the bedroom. Here's a few to look into:
-Blackstar HT5
-Marshall DSL15
-Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister (5 and 22 watt versions)
-Peavey Valveking 20
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
Quote by kangaxxter
Really, if you're new at playing guitar the Fender Mustang 3 will be fine for now. And while as you improve you'll look to get better equipment, neither the Line 6 Spider nor the Roland Cubes are improvements on the Mustang for pretty much any style of music.

This.

You have a nice little practice amp and that's all you need right now. When you improve and maybe want to get out & start jamming with other people that's when you'll need to upgrade. That's also when you'll have a better idea of the sort of thing you're looking for, your needs will change a lot between now and then.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I played/practiced on a Fender Frontman 15 amp with my Les Paul and my Strat with no issues. Finally upgraded last month. Frontmans are simple, no bells and whistles, inexpensive and functional for beginner/intermediate level. However, I am not too sure they are in production anymore, but can be found used. Here is a link for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-FRONTMAN-15G-AMP-110084222-i3731020.gc
Fender Mustang III is a lot of amp out the box. Even more potential once you start digging into the software. That's what I have at the moment. Used to have a Hot Rod Deluxe. Still digging the Mustang. Give it a chance.
Maybe its from being new but the mustang sounds so fender to me. And I like and am use to more of the marshall sound. It's probably that I don't know how to use the settings yet. I have dabbled in guitar playing a few times but never stuck with it. Now I have the guitar I always wanted I am motivated to learn again. I was thinking line 6 because of all tones that are already there. And being new its nice to strum a cord and recognize a song or artist. I am thinking this would help keep me motivated. I just hear so many haters on the line 6. And I have been reading a lot of bashing on the new marshall amps. I am mot ready for nor can really afford a jcm900 so just not sure what to do.
You can use the hate as an indication of how happy the average person is with a product but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be. All the GC's I've been in have had plenty of them out for me to try though. So there's that. Go check one out. Take some headphones with you if you don't want to crank it in front of everyone. I've even snuck into the platinum room with stuff that doesn't belong in there because I wanted more privacy.

No one can really tell you which is best for you. At the same time I doubt you can't get the presets you want. Matter of fact, install the Fuse software and import some presets that are rated high for songs you want to play.
New player here, too.

I also had a Fender Mustang III v.2.

I wanted a tube amp and followed the suggestions on here for what I like to play. I bought a Peavey Classic 30. My son too the Mustang and he loves it.

I'm extremely happy with the Peavey Classic 30. I really appreciate the advice that prompted me to go demo it. That was all it took.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I'd say go for the Peavey VYPRY VIP 1 OR 2, great sounding amp and has a ton of features. Such as effects, and amp models built in.
Dig deeper into the Mustang as there are some good tones in there. Roland Cubes are also very musical. Line 6 Spiders... not so much. All foam, no beer in spidertown me thinks.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by DubfromGA
New player here, too.

I also had a Fender Mustang III v.2.

I wanted a tube amp and followed the suggestions on here for what I like to play. I bought a Peavey Classic 30. My son too the Mustang and he loves it.

I'm extremely happy with the Peavey Classic 30. I really appreciate the advice that prompted me to go demo it. That was all it took.

I just got a second hand Classic 30' too not long ago.Really like it,Nice tube sound and US made.