I'm curious pit dwellers, how do you, or your band, sell your music online? Which services and websites do you use? Why? What are the pros and cons? Feel free to boast/rant/babble as you see fit. This is the pit after all.

It would be interesting to know how everyone goes about this, and what success they've had with it.
when my release is out it'll be on Juno and Beatport and all that good shit. Not much point using anything else when everyone who's gonna buy your tune is using one of those and probably wants a decent format
i started out with Loudr (it's still very, very new. Only a few thousand artists are on there). So I haven't sold anything yet. Bandcamp is great.

Just don't. DO NOT give your money to some company so they can distribute your music. It's usually a scam unless the company has notoriety.

Just DIY, TS.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Bandcamp, iTunes, google play, amazon, spotify, everything else honestly. I use mixonic for physical copies, catapult for major distribution

You could also order physical copies I'd mail, but I've been out and Idk if I'll have more printed.
Quote by k.lainad
Just don't. DO NOT give your money to some company so they can distribute your music. It's usually a scam unless the company has notoriety.

Catapult distribution is super cheap, takes only 9% (after teh store takes their cut) and is recommended by itunes/apple:3 I sometimes make more off major online stores than bandcamp, where my album is 3x cheaper on bandcamp than it is anywhere else.

People will pay more for music on iTunes because bandcamp is still relatively new, and requires an online way to pay, where you can buy itunes card things. Also some people just don't care about a 5 dollar price difference.
Last edited by stratkat at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by k.lainad

Just don't. DO NOT give your money to some company so they can distribute your music.

chill out m8

distribution is an important part of any labels selling power
not done yet but it'll be bandcamp, and it'll be free anyway
no m8 i'm gonna make you send it to Tempa and watch you become big inna di game
Don't have any music to sell
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Quote by willT08
chill out m8

distribution is an important part of any labels selling power
no m8 i'm gonna make you send it to Tempa and watch you become big inna di game

i don't believe in labels
or fame
or artists
or music

only sound
I don't sell it because I think all sounds are for the people so I just give it away.
Quote by captainsnazz
i don't believe in labels
or fame
or artists
or music

only sound

hey m8 my moon is sounding pretty cool
It seems the pit really likes bandcamp. I may have to take a look at it. Thanks for all the responses, both serious and hilarious.
Quote by captainsnazz
not done yet but it'll be bandcamp, and it'll be free anyway

Same.

Except mine won't be wobs.
iTunes/Amazon MP3/Pandora etc. as well as through own website and as at merch stand at gigs.

Edit: Also available through record company webshop. I've always seen bandcamp as something mainly popular among musicians themselves, and don't know many people who use it, other than UG users
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Well I don't actually sell any records, ever.
But if I did, they would be sold through bandcamp, itunes, amazon, and cdbaby. I made some DIY jewel cases at home and ship them out on a loss.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I've always seen bandcamp as something mainly popular among musicians themselves.

I agree, non-musicians (and musicians) get most of their music elsewhere.
Quote by stratkat

Where do you get your music from?
Quote by stratkat

It's good to post your song on youtube with a link to the bandcamp site for downloading mp3, free or whatever you ask or what they donate.
Quote by TV-Casualty
Where do you get your music from?

I don't buy music or pirate it, I stream it or buy a physical copy.

Quote by Tempoe
It's good to post your song on youtube with a link to the bandcamp site for downloading mp3, free or whatever you ask or what they donate.

Linking it's fine, but there's a limit to how many free downloads you can give away. I post most of my free links to mediafire and newgrounds.