Im trying to find my first tube amp. I have been playing for 6 years and only have experience with solid state amps. I have been using a Peavey Vypyr 75 for a while but I am not satisfied. Im looking for a versatile/reliable tube amp that is good for gigging and bedroom levels. I play blues, classic rock and metal usually. The clean sound of the Blues Deluxe sounds really good, but would a pedal like MXR Super Badass Distortion work well with it?
Ive read mixed reviews of the Marshall and Blackstar

I appreciate all opinions and suggestions!
The Blackstar is meh, and the Fender is really rock/blues only.

Budget?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
The Blackstar is meh, and the Fender is really rock/blues only.

Budget?

Im trying to keep it under $1000
Can you be a bit more specific on the type of metal you want? A list of the bands youd like to sound like would help.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Can you be a bit more specific on the type of metal you want? A list of the bands youd like to sound like would help.

More of a classic metal. Like Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden. Just a good rock type distortion, nothing too high gain. 80s rock type of gain. My main guitar is also an Epiphone Les Paul and use quite alot of pedals.
I love the clean tone of the fender, just not quite sure if a pedal would work well to use as a primary distortion.
A Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100 would be great for you then, I think they sound better than the 40. If you don't mind single channel, and Egnater Rebel wouldn't be bad as well. Neither will have fendery cleans, but the OD will beat using pedals.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Check out the old Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 and the Egnater Tweaker 40 112.

I was not impressed with the new DSLs whatsoever, but I've read that they get way better with a tube & speaker swap. I rate the Tweaker 40 way, way higher than the DSL40C.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I still haven't got that DSL40 to mod yet but I am told that there are a few design **** ups that can be fixed with some basic component swaps - but I haven't done it yet.
The guy I know that has it, bought it after using my modded JCM900 because he wanted a similar tone. Straight away he's asking me to mod it for him.

Look for a post 2003 JCM2000 DSL50/100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you should be able to pickup a egnater renegade for around there. it has tons of features (some not as drastic as they advertise). two channels, throw an OCD in the second = pretty close to metal. very nice clean channel, from clean to breakup, both are pretty nice

or a peavey JSX/XXX/ultra+
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92
Check out the old Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 and the Egnater Tweaker 40 112.

I was not impressed with the new DSLs whatsoever, but I've read that they get way better with a tube & speaker swap. I rate the Tweaker 40 way, way higher than the DSL40C.

Thanks for the suggestion! Ill look into that one.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you should be able to pickup a egnater renegade for around there. it has tons of features (some not as drastic as they advertise). two channels, throw an OCD in the second = pretty close to metal. very nice clean channel, from clean to breakup, both are pretty nice

or a peavey JSX/XXX/ultra+

Thanks ill check out the Renegade too! Are Egnater's reliable? From the other combos ive researched it seems there is alot of issues. I never really looked into Egnater cuz there isnt many stores that carry them where I live.
Quote by Ippon
At that budget, you have a lot of options. Out of the ones mentioned, I'd go with the JCM2000, Egnater TourMaster, and Peavey JSX.

I'd add the Laney VH100R.

Sadly I cannot find any Egnater dealers in Ontario. & If I get a JCM2000 ill have to get a cab which will probably put me over budget. Thanks for other suggestions though.

No one likes the idea of a Fender Blues Deluxe and pedals for distortion?
The DSL401 is a combo. It's a 40W EL84 amp so they don't sound the same as their big brothers but they'll still shit all over the amps you listed. Again - post 2003. Don't get one made before that unless you know they have modded the rectifier circuit and done it properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by metalhead424
Thanks ill check out the Renegade too! Are Egnater's reliable? From the other combos ive researched it seems there is alot of issues. I never really looked into Egnater cuz there isnt many stores that carry them where I live.

i never had a problem. i haven't heard that their reliability was questionable. i owned a renegade, tweaker, and a rebel (30?). i had no problems.

i didn't rellly like the tweaker traded it straight up for another amp i didn't like. a Jet City JCA50H.

i think the rebel was the best, but the renegade was the most used, and i had the tweaker for less than a month. i really wasn't impressed with the tourmaster though.

keep in mind though that i think it was two or three years ago, so things could have changed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/