Hello all,

So this is the 3rd website that I'm posting this blog on in an attempt to share my experiences when undertaking a project like this. First of all, if you are considering making a guitar of any kind have a look at Crimson Custom Guitars on Youtube or their website. In fact, even if you're not building an instrument, some of the tips he gives are invaluable.

On this forum I'll mainly be posting photos with a brief description alongside it. If you want to know more about the project, I'll be posting a detailed update with much more photos every 4 weeks on my bands website under my name, Matt Estlea.

http://itvaries.weebly.com/blog.html

So, enough of the intro and lets get up to date on the project!

Original design
- Bubinga body (Ignore the image)
- Ziricote top
- Maple and Wenge through neck
- Ebony fretboard
- Patinated silver leaf (The blue stuff)
- Ziricote headstock veneer
- Warmoth hardware
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rough sawn lumber after delivery
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lumber cleaned up. (Refer to my bands blog for an explanation behind the chunk taken out the neck!)

Laminated neck being glued up, blue veneer strips have been sandwiched between each layer

Close up of laminated neck, the blue veneer is very subtle which is a nice feature

Marking out taper and cross section in preparation for shaping

Routing out truss rod cavity before cutting neck to size

Neck cut and planed to final dimensions, ready to receive the Ebony fretboard

Clamping fretboard to neck blank

And that's about where I'm up to with the project at the moment. As I said before, there are many more photos and more in depth descriptions on my bands website.

http://itvaries.weebly.com/blog.html

I'll try to post to this forum as often as possible, it will probably be every couple of weeks to ensure there is something to write about.

Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated.Even if its unconstructive criticism, I'd still like to know what people think of the design.

Even better, I'd like to know what people would value a custom instrument such as this if they were putting it up for sale?

Cheers
Deffo one to keep up to date on.
Looks fantastic so far!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Minus electrics, It's all finished!

As I said before, Im keeping the posts on this forum brief. If you want more in detail explanations, they will be uploaded onto my bands website every 4 weeks under my name, 'Matt Estlea'. The next one is due later today!

Web address is: http://itvaries.weebly.com/blog

Clamping the body blanks onto the through neck

Finally looks like a guitar!

Veneering sycamore over the top

Control cavity routed out

Painted sycamore and Ziricote top

Carving ergonomic contours and neck shape

Gilded in copper leaf first

Then silver leaf

Patina in progress

All finished!
Now THAT is cool. Very unusual and unique but I'm really digging the contrast of the wood and the patina'd metal leaf. How's it sound?
Excellent job, congratulations.

But this thread should've been posted in the Gear Building & Customizing subforum.

*Reported for move*
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Workmanship looks acceptable. Good first effort (it was a first effort?)

I'd suggest that you check in with ACG (http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/) and speak with Alan to get an idea what pricing can be in the custom market, and you'll also get an idea what levels of design and workmanship you need to get there.

If I were buying a true custom bass, ACG is likely where I'd be spending my money. The designs, the electronics and the execution are just top notch and top of the game IMHO. I've watched his designs evolve and mature over the course of a lot of basses in the old JSGuitarForums (as "Skelf"), and I'd have full confidence in anything he created for me.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I haven't read your blog psosts, but the bass has more than a little Wal Mark II feel about it!

I have no idea what you're on about *ahem* entirely original

Yes I did copy every curve on the Wal Mark II, although I tweaked the lower horn a bit as it was a bit too stubby for my liking.
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
Now THAT is cool. Very unusual and unique but I'm really digging the contrast of the wood and the patina'd metal leaf. How's it sound?

I haven't finished the wiring yet, I'm hoping the bloody thing works! This is my first guitar build so who knows what could be waiting to bite me in the arse!
Quote by dspellman
Workmanship looks acceptable. Good first effort (it was a first effort?)

I'd suggest that you check in with ACG (http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/) and speak with Alan to get an idea what pricing can be in the custom market, and you'll also get an idea what levels of design and workmanship you need to get there.

Wow, never heard of this company before, I'm no doubt going to be trawling their website for the rest of the evening!

Cheers!
Quote by Urburno
I have no idea what you're on about *ahem* entirely original

Yes I did copy every curve on the Wal Mark II, although I tweaked the lower horn a bit as it was a bit too stubby for my liking.

Aye, much more of a Mark 3 lower horn. Not a fan of the 1 or 2's lower fret access, the 3 is juuuuuuuust right.
Lookin' good homie (y)
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Urburno
Wow, never heard of this company before, I'm no doubt going to be trawling their website for the rest of the evening!

Alan actually had a HUGE collection of pages of the build process, the various materials used, his comments on the different preamps and woods, etc., that he worked with and a staggering number of photographs of both in-process and finished guitars (along with hints and tips about the build process) on a forum called JSGuitarForum. Unfortunately, that forum is nearly dead, thanks to the decision of the forum owner to increase security with a tricky and non-obvious double login system. If you can talk to Alan and find a way to retrieve his thread (which became a sticky under his pseudonym "Skelf"), you'll find that it's an absolute gold mine for someone building guitars or basses.