Hey guys,

What's the best company or place to buy EL-34's and 6550 tubes? Quality before cost! I've seen Svetlana and Groove tube and EHX and I have no idea which to go with. Thanks!
Cody
None of the above. What amp and what are you trying to achieve?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Do not, under any circumstances, buy Groove Tubes. It's a Guitar Center owned company that literally just relabels Tung-Sol, Electro-Harmonix and Sovtek tubes and marks them up 50%. Honestly, depends on what you want, but JJs are the go to 'round these parts. Good quality and not a buttload of money. Honestly, spending more than like $50 on a duet of power tubes is kind of pointless.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Groove Tubes also rebrand JJ's. You just gotta know how to read their codes.

Without the answer to my question, I'd say JJ EL34L but I don't want to commit to that recommendation until I have more info.

Also, when did GC buy GT?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Groove Tubes also rebrand JJ's. You just gotta know how to read their codes.

Without the answer to my question, I'd say JJ EL34L but I don't want to commit to that recommendation until I have more info.

Also, when did GC buy GT?

One of the guys at me local GC said that. I guess he meant Fender?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Do not, under any circumstances, buy Groove Tubes. It's a Guitar Center owned company that literally just relabels Tung-Sol, Electro-Harmonix and Sovtek tubes and marks them up 50%. Honestly, depends on what you want, but JJs are the go to 'round these parts. Good quality and not a buttload of money. Honestly, spending more than like $50 on a duet of power tubes is kind of pointless.

Marks them up 50% huh? I bought 2 GT 6L6GC's, 2 12ax7's (one chinese, one russian) and a 5AR4 for almost 100 bucks after lots of researching for a decent deal. That seemed like a good deal to me after having found other companies that were basically charging similar prices (this was through ebay @ buy it now prices).

Plus, what's so bad about Sovtek and EHX tubes for you to say 'do not under any circumstances' buy GT because of said companies? Especially since you don't even know what amp TS has?
Quote by TheStig1214
One of the guys at me local GC said that. I guess he meant Fender?

Protip- Don't believe everything a GC employee says. Most of the time, you can throw a rock in any direction and hit someone that's more knowledgeable.
I don't like Sovtek power tubes a lot either, they have no body. EHX are basically the same tube from the same factory. With SED gone, JJ are the only way to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dimarzio45
Marks them up 50% huh? I bought 2 GT 6L6GC's, 2 12ax7's (one chinese, one russian) and a 5AR4 for almost 100 bucks after lots of researching for a decent deal. That seemed like a good deal to me after having found other companies that were basically charging similar prices (this was through ebay @ buy it now prices).

Plus, what's so bad about Sovtek and EHX tubes for you to say 'do not under any circumstances' buy GT because of said companies? Especially since you don't even know what amp TS has?

Never said they were bad tubes, just seems pointless to pay full price for what is essentially a craps shoot on tubes. Might as well cut out the middle man and buy something you're sure of.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I can agree with that. I'd rather cut out the middle man too and just support the main company.

Also Stig, I'm not trying to harass you.
Quote by TheStig1214
Never said they were bad tubes, just seems pointless to pay full price for what is essentially a craps shoot on tubes. Might as well cut out the middle man and buy something you're sure of.

This. GT aren't necessarily bad tubes, they're just generally overpriced for what they are.

Also, I'm fairly certain they aren't owned by GC. GC just pushes them onto patrons more than other companies.
Quote by Dimarzio45
I can agree with that. I'd rather cut out the middle man too and just support the main company.

Also Stig, I'm not trying to harass you.

'sall good brah

I knew it sounded weird that GC would own Groove Tubes, considering they don't invest in anything they can't make more than 60% profit margin on lol.

Seriously, OP, JJs.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I don't like the way New Sensor bought all those old tube brand names and try to pass their crap off as the real thing. People hear old guys like myself talking about Mullards being great tubes and go out and buy a modern Mullard thinking that's what we were talking about and all they get is crap that's nothing like the real thing.
I really hate that sort of misleading bs. Even if their tubes were good I don't want them. Dodgey ****s. Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining or I'll punch you in the throat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheStig1214
'sall good brah

I knew it sounded weird that GC would own Groove Tubes, considering they don't invest in anything they can't make more than 60% profit margin on lol.

Seriously, OP, JJs.

Shit, I apologize, I bought 2 new Sovtek 6L6GC's, not GT's (Not sure what I paid for them). The amp still doesn't work right after that and a year or so has passed since then so I forgot lol.

Normally, IF I have good funds, my go-to companies are new-old-stock RCA's, Sylvania and Lafayette tubes. However, I still don't have a shit ton of experience with tubes as far as tonal differences.

Edit- I've also used Channel Master preamp tubes
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 29, 2014,
NOS power tubes have gotten too expensive in recent years. Even with their greater longevity, they aren't really viable economically any more. I'll still buy NOS preamp tubes at times but I've given up on NOS power tubes. I just run JJ power tubes in all my amps now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, I've been seeing some pretty ridiculous prices on NOS tubes (especially power tubes) which has caused me to look in other directions.

Next time I buy new tubes Cath, I'm gonna pick your brain for some good insight seeing that you have much more experience than I do
Check out TCtubes for NOS preamp tubes. Great assortment at pretty fair prices, well, relatively speaking.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ahh okay. Will do, I've heard about them but never tried 'em. I'll be buying a new Carvin Legacy III (Steve Vai head) which has 3 EL34's (might be EL84's...I forgot) which has amazing Fender style cleans and is also interchangable with 6L6's. I was thinking it would be nice to know what company to check out in case I wanted to make a change a little further down the road. I'll take a look at them. Thanks, Cath.
They run EL34's. I'm quite impressed by JJ EL34L's. That's what I'd use in it. Monstrous bottom end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh okay. I'm not sure if it comes with a Carvin brand or not. What are some notable differences between 6L6's and EL34's?
Just curious, and hopefully this doesn't really count as a thread hijack, but it is somewhat relevant, why not Ruby Tubes?
Ruby are another rebranding outfit. So Ruby what? They rebrand all sorts of things. Again, without stipulating the full code, they could be anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Wicer
Just curious, and hopefully this doesn't really count as a thread hijack, but it is somewhat relevant, why not Ruby Tubes?

Don't worry. I already hijacked this thread by accident.
Sorry TS.

Sidenote- We should really just have an "Ask Cathbard" thread.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Sorry TS.

+3.1415. cath kicks ass.

three cheers for cath

and yes i may be really drunk. i am not sure if it has started or worn off...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dimarzio45
Sorry TS.

I'd like a "Best of Cathbard" thread. There's definitely one post in here I'd nominate
Quote by evmac
I'd like a "Best of Cathbard" thread. There's definitely one post in here I'd nominate

Was it the 'Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining' one? I was cracking up over that one. I haven't heard that one in years and totally forgot about it.
Thanks guys, but I'm busy enough answering people's questions without a dedicated thread.

Quote by Dimarzio45
Oh okay. I'm not sure if it comes with a Carvin brand or not. What are some notable differences between 6L6's and EL34's?
EL34's have more midrange, 6L6's have more bottom end. It's mainly noticeable when you push them hard.
The EL34L is like an EL34 with a 6L6's bottom end. I like 'em a lot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Thanks guys, but I'm busy enough answering people's questions without a dedicated thread.

EL34's have more midrange, 6L6's have more bottom end. It's mainly noticeable when you push them hard.
The EL34L is like an EL34 with a 6L6's bottom end. I like 'em a lot.

Sweet. I guess I'll stick with the EL34's when I get the amp.

But, hey, if someone makes a Cath thread, I'm sorry.
That also means you can post audio and video clips of you playing with your 2 bands. It'll be a win-win situation.
Somebody's trying to rope me into playing in a third band atm.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't think I'll have the time. It will end up in too many clashes in bookings too. I'll be jamming with them tonight but unless they are exceptional I think I''m gonna turn them down. I get enough work already, a third band will just stretch me too far.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I don't disagree with that. One band can be plenty of work. Two is a definite stretch. Jam with the other band just to see what happens. Hey, ya never know...they could be incredible.
It's just a covers band. They play music I like but it is just covers. I'd rather play originals. Covers bands make more money but I aint in it for the money. The money's not that good anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dimarzio45
Yeah I don't disagree with that. One band can be plenty of work. Two is a definite stretch. Jam with the other band just to see what happens. Hey, ya never know...they could be incredible.

+1

i play with as many people as i can. i have been in a lot of short term bands, and at open mics and anywhere. i think i have played with half the county. thats what i like doing.

however...

i have been playing with a guy lately that works perfectly he is a really good guitarist, good voice, and he is fun and we mess around with the could. he is practicing his stand up comedy so thats a nice little benefit. then he goes on break for a half hour, and he puts a loop down and i do leads over that and i take a break while he does a few of his origionals and we go over really well. $120 in tips that we split even last week. $60 not bad plus the $50 that i get from the bar. he is a good time.

edit: we also do rounds of guitar duals too which everybody loves.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 30, 2014,
It's me and the bass player that everybody wants. We work together extremely well. Whenever we step into a band the band starts getting compliments about tightness, even when the drummer is useless. We just drive through it and bring everybody else into line.
He's not sold on doing the covers either and if either of us says no, so will the other. When you find somebody that you lock in well with, and get along with, keep it together.
So it would be both us in all three bands. I don't think we are gonna do it. We're both a bit over playing covers. We want to push this new band, it's actually something different, something new. Covers bands are a lot of work, you have to have between 30 and 40 songs ready to roll - and your gigs last for like 3 hrs. That's a lot of songs to get together tight as a band, it takes time. With originals it more like a dozen songs and a shared bill. You can get it as tight as **** with way less effort.
We're the headline act this Saturday with the new band and the promoter hasn't even heard us. He just knows that it's me and my bass player in a 3 piece band so he knows he'll get a show.

We seem to have hijacked this thread, sorry TS. Feel free to jump in with the actual question. We just can't really go any further answering it until you reply to what you've been asked. You've only made the OP and then disappeared.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 30, 2014,
So JJ's is where it's at then? I like 6550's in a JCM800 for super low end and metal playing and I use EL34's for an Orange Rockerverb that does everything else in the world, as well as the metal playing.

Not to interrupt the life of Cathbard thread, I'm just making sure I have a straight answer.

By the way, I checked on JJ's from Guitar Center and they're very reasonably priced I hope they sound amazing as I hope they will and y'all say they will.

Another question though, I found JJ 6550's online and with the offer it said "24 hour tube burn in" and "tube matching (up to 9 tubes)" what do these things mean and do I need them? Thanks guys!
Last edited by gibson52198 at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Ruby are another rebranding outfit. So Ruby what? They rebrand all sorts of things. Again, without stipulating the full code, they could be anything.

I suppose this counts as completely hijacking but Ruby 6L6 GCMSTR. Apparently they are made by Ruby in China.
Quote by gibson52198
So JJ's is where it's at then? I like 6550's in a JCM800 for super low end and metal playing and I use EL34's for an Orange Rockerverb that does everything else in the world, as well as the metal playing.

Not to interrupt the life of Cathbard thread, I'm just making sure I have a straight answer.

By the way, I checked on JJ's from Guitar Center and they're very reasonably priced I hope they sound amazing as I hope they will and y'all say they will.

Another question though, I found JJ 6550's online and with the offer it said "24 hour tube burn in" and "tube matching (up to 9 tubes)" what do these things mean and do I need them? Thanks guys!
Yeah, go for the JJ's.
24 hr tube burn in is a bit of a gimick really. Tubes take a couple of days to fully burn in, they are saying they've done it for you. Big whoop. It doesn't matter really anyway, I've gigged on fresh tubes I've replaced at the gig itself, the world didn't end.
You need to get a matched set of power tubes so that all of them are biased the same.

Quote by Wicer
I suppose this counts as completely hijacking but Ruby 6L6 GCMSTR. Apparently they are made by Ruby in China.
Ruby don't make them, Shuguang make them. They just add the Ruby label to them. The closest Ruby come to making them is placing an order.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification