Hi,
I've been trying to play barre chords, but it just sounds horrible, it's like I mute the chords. I try to practice it a lot and I can't see any improvement, I only get pain. I'm not sure how much pressure I'm supposed to put, etc.

Do you guys have any tricks or advice to help me to make a nice sound? Or something to help with the pain?
You don't need to have a death grip on the neck to be able to play a chord. Just press down on the strings enough to make all the notes ring out. To make sure you're fingering the chord correctly, hold any chord and individually pick each string one by one. That way, if there's a dead note, you'll find it (Unless you want it to be there).

Sometimes you do have to press down pretty hard to play a barre chord. But it'll get easier with time.
Just sit with you guitar in hand, formed to a chord.
It is muscle memory.

At first they are very hard to do and suddenly they become the easiest chord to form.
Probably the finger you used to bar (normally index) were not properly pressed to the fretboard. this will cause the strings to be muted instead of ringing.

i have this problem before.
Try also putting your left thumb a little to the right of the barring finger (index), this will help improve your grip by twisting your wrist a little.

For sure you will improve at some point
Did you check your action?? high action will make barre chords like hell (been there) so make sure that your guitar is properly set up then search for other solutions.
Try making just the bar w/ your index. Leave the other fingers off. Pick this one note at a time, and play with your grip until you can get each note rings out. Once that works, add back the other fingers.
Last edited by se012101 at May 5, 2014,
Quote by sam2289
Did you check your action?? high action will make barre chords like hell (been there) so make sure that your guitar is properly set up then search for other solutions.

The action seems fine to me, I really think it's me the problem.

Quote by jaugust
Here is a great video I found on YouTube where he really breaks down the mechanics.

Thank you for the video, I think it's going to help me a lot since I had problems with hand positions.

And thank you to everyone who replied! I'll be practicing more and hopefully will get better.
Last edited by noemie24 at May 4, 2014,