Hey everyone.
I've been playing guitar consistently for nearly 20 years now. god I'm almost old. Anyway...

I've recently became re-productive with playing and writing music. For a lot of my late teens and early 20's I was active. I then slowed thighs down due to a few different things (while kept playing) and have gotten back into the swing of it.

I must say I've always been a bit frustrated with building solos and stuff - since I'm mostly into 'radion' rock stuff as well as that cool 1970's FM radio sound, aka Neil Young. Artists I quite like are oasis, nirvana, matchbox 20, Neil young, Dashboard Confessional and stuff .

When I watch videos and stuff online of soloing, they often feel like they don't fall into my style. Am I being narrow minded, missing something or something else?

I get that blues (and jazz) are a foundational stone to music.
I'm a little confused at your question. Are you asking what soloing techniques would work for radio rock type stuff?

Speaking from no experience and purely observation, I think a lot of the soloing in radio rock is just bluesy rock stuff. Ya know, minor pentatonic licks with distortion, etc.
Relax. You're not doing anything wrong. Anyone can play solos, but not everyone wants to, and there's nothing wrong with that. If Malcolm Young wanted to become a soloist, we wouldn't have AC/DC now, would we? With that said, if you want to get into solos or leads, go for it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

I guess a large part of the frustration is how to build solos, like the ones Noel Gallagher would write (for example) or a solo that would slip perfectly into an Everclear song or The Frey.

Would 'these' be solos be built from the full spectrum of modes with a good dose of creativity ?
Quote by flaaash
Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

I guess a large part of the frustration is how to build solos, like the ones Noel Gallagher would write (for example) or a solo that would slip perfectly into an Everclear song or The Frey.

Would 'these' be solos be built from the full spectrum of modes with a good dose of creativity ?

Ignore modes. Most people don't need modes and you CERTAINLY don't need modes; you just need a decent understanding of the standard major and minor scales.

I think the kind of solos you want to play are ones that are built around a very strong, simple melody line so what you really need to do is concentrate on being able to play things like that; everything else is just window dressing.

So here's what you need to do: put down the guitar. Think of a melody in your head that really works with whatever you're trying to solo over. Then transcribe that to a guitar. If you need to, and you almost certainly will at first, then you can try singing it (it doesn't matter if you sing it well, you just need to be able to remember it) and recording it with your webcam or phone or whatever (if you don't have either of these things you can pick up a webcam that will do the job for about $20 or something these days).

Transcribing things like that is hard and at first it will be slow and you will get it wrong... but keep trying. You'll get it eventually!

Also important to note: having a good understanding of theory and understanding how certain sounds relate to theoretical concepts makes transcribing things so much easier. Again, it's a long road to travel and it's hard work but once you get that solo out of your head and on to the guitar... it's amazing.

Keep at it dude, you'll get there
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks Zaphod. I really appreciate it.

While I am competent at creating a solo, for the type of music I enjoy listening to and creating - I perhaps don't need to know which mode to play when on each chord, eg Cmaj, Gmaj, Amin, Emaj7 and Fmaj.

I've got a real cool multi track on my iphone which comes quite in handy!
^ If it's a diatonic progression (i.e. no key changes or "outside" chords) you just need to find the key of the piece and you can play that scale. E.g. if the chords are E A D and it's in the key of E major, you can just play the E major scale over all of it.

a lot of rock solos are quite blues-based, though, and that sort of mixes and matches major tonalities- normally you play the blues scale (or what i call the "extended blues scale", not sure if that's a correct term or not it's basically the blues scale with the added major third, major 6th and sometimes major 7th) over a more major progression (which often uses dominant 7th chords, e.g. E7, A7 and D7 and you'd play E blues scale over that).

if you're halfway familiar with rock at all, though, that description there makes it sound a lot more complicated than it really is, it just kind of sounds "right".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?