Poll: Upgrade or new guitar/sell?
Poll Options
View poll results: Upgrade or new guitar/sell?
upgrade
0 0%
buy new
14 67%
buy new and sell also
7 33%
Voters: 21.
So just recently, I have been into electric guitars and I bought a really cheap guitar pack. It was the Best Choice Products Black Electric Guitar Pack. I know, I was a bit of a guitar noob when choosing my first electric guitar. But almost everything helped get started, and now all the gear feels really crapping, especially the amp and guitar itself. So I plan to replace the shit amp with a Marshall but I don't know what to do with my old useless gear. Should I upgrade the entire guitar, almost everything on the guitar sucks, and forget about the amp? or should I sell everything to like guitar center and but an epiphone? (Small budget) Specifically choosing an SG or a Les Paul if I sell my gear. And if I do choose to upgrade, what brands sell good parts. Or, if i do sell, where should isell it to? Finally, my experience with the guitar. The guitar sounds crappy, is really heavy, hard to reach frets, and has scratched pickups.
Guitar Center won't give you shit for your gear. Hate to say it but really just save up until you can afford some decent used gear. It won't be worth it upgrading your guitar if you find it uncomfortable in general. Save up, search craigslist and try to find a local area gear exchange and just keep your ear to the rail for some nice stuff at a decent price.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Well, that is a cheapo guitar that doesn't even have a brand name apparently? Best choice?

You said it yourself that the neck is crap and the guitar is heavy. I'm willing to bet the pickups are crap too. Not worth upgrading because by the time you do get it upgraded it's going to be inferior to a decent Epiphone anyway, which would cost probably about the same.

If I were you, I'd go Epiphone SG and probably a Roland Cube Amp. I'm guessing you're probably referring to the Marshall MG when you say you wanna buy a Marshall amp. If so, check the Roland instead, much much better amp.
Yeah I heard that the line 6 seems really nice as well. I played on it too! I will definitely consider buying a new one.
Upgrading crap guitars is a pretty bad idea because EVRYTHING needs to be replaced. Bite the bullet now and be happy later.
Quote by stevenim700
Yeah I heard that the line 6 seems really nice as well. I played on it too! I will definitely consider buying a new one.

I did too for the first 3 months I had it, then you develop an ear for tone and realize you want to upgrade your amp again too.
Also, what specific practice amps do you recommend? I can probably afford an amp under 40 watts considering the cost of those.
Quote by stevenim700
Also, what specific practice amps do you recommend? I can probably afford an amp under 40 watts considering the cost of those.

What is your actual budget?

This amp is less than 40 watts....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
What is your actual budget?

This amp is less than 40 watts....

And so is this one!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
And so is this one!

I spent at least 3 seconds thinking of a fairly expensive 30 watter!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by stevenim700

Please give us these informations as asked on the GG&A Rules and Resources Center so that we can give you better advice on which amp(s) would be the best option(s) for your needs:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

If you also want recommendations for a new guitar, we'll need these informations, as asked on the sticky at the top of this subforum:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Apr 30, 2014,
My guitar budget is around 250$ and my amp budget is around $300. And the music genres I play are modern rock and maybe some 80s rock as well. I mostly want to play at home as well which is in Arvada, Co. It doesn't matter of its new or used.
Last edited by stevenim700 at Apr 30, 2014,
Is there a particular sound that you wish to emulate? 80's rock is a pretty wide target, can cover everything from Queen to Van Halen to Guns n Roses to Metallica... They all sound different to one another... Try and narrow it down a bit.
Quote by dazza027
Is there a particular sound that you wish to emulate? 80's rock is a pretty wide target, can cover everything from Queen to Van Halen to Guns n Roses to Metallica... They all sound different to one another... Try and narrow it down a bit.

definitely Metallica overall, but a second choice would be EVH
Some type of Super Strat with a Floyd rose then lol (body style wont make much difference to the sound so that can be anything you like really, but the Floyd will certainly have an effect, especially for VH)... Ibanez RG, LTD, ESP... list is endless.
There is an old saying. Buy once, cry once.

Save up and get what you want (guitar first), keep your 'starter pack' tidy and try to sell it from the end of September on the bay. At that point folks are starting to look for beginners Christmas ideas and it's your best hope to recover some value. Using your starter amp with a better guitar will help your playing develop more than the other way around.
My entire rig was bought on a budget when i decided to upgrade from kid gear to a pro rig. Everything, except my pedal board/pedals, was bought used/clearance. Ebay and craigslist got me really nice gear for nearly 50% off msrp and sometimes more. You just have to be willing to be patient and dig thru ads.