I'll be up front and say I'm a complete newbie when it comes to all of this stuff. I honestly have no clue how to set any of this up. From what I read/saw online all I needed was a program like Ableton and something like Amplitube and it would work fine. But it's much much more complicated. I'm running windows 7. I'm simply trying to hear myself play guitar through my laptop. Is the problem that I need to use separate speakers or what?

Basically, when I plug in my guitar to the Scarlett I get feedback on the gain knob (flickering green light). When I open up Amplitube as well and strum my guitar there is definitely some audio response as I see the levels moving up and down within Amplitube. Problem is, I cannot hear anything period.

I have set my recording and playback devices both to the Scarlett. I also installed ASIO4ALL drivers, but when I try to switch the driver to ASIO in Amplitube no devices will show up. Ableton Live doesn't even detect ASIO when I try and switch drivers.

Bah, this is so complicated I have no clue how to do any of this stuff.
Last edited by wheelz1045 at Apr 29, 2014,
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Maybe read the instruction booklets for both the interface and abelton?

I have already.

Okay, so the issue I'm running into is that I apparently can't hear anything WHILE I'm playing. I can hear my recordings through Ableton only AFTER I have unplugged the Scarlett and switched the output device on Ableton to my normal laptop speakers. After doing all of that I can listen to my recordings just fine. But how can I play and actually hear my guitar instead of having to go through multiple steps changing my input/output? I'm obviously not doing something right.
There should be something like a 'monitor recording' button on the tracks so you can hear yourself in real time.
You say Saffire in the heading, but refer to the unit as Scarlett, so I'm going to assume its the Scarlett 2i4.

The Scarlett 2i4 has its own ASIO driver available from Focusrite. From the picture it looks as though you've been to the focusrite website, added your serial number and got the VST pack that comes with the 2i4, did you also download the ASIO driver? You've mentioned the ASIO4ALL driver, but not the 2i4 driver from focusrite's website.

Does Abelton have a button in its audio input/output settings for ASIO settings? OR can you find ASIO4ALL in All Programs (it will appear in all programs if you specified that you wanted "offline settings" when you installed ASIO4ALL) If you do it will open ASIO4ALL settings and you can switch devices on and off within the menu. Then head into Abelton and see if the device shows up.

As a side note for monitoring your guitar, I'm sure you already know about this, but the scarlett 2i4 has its own monitoring on the right hand side of the unit, you will need stereo headphones with a 1/4 TRS jack (or adapter). This will allow you to hear your Direct Input from your guitar/instrument as you play as long as the scarlett is your active sound device in windows. The unit has a knob that moves between direct input and the sound coming from your DAW/PC. Depending on where the knob is you'll either hear more dry guitar DI, or more sound from your DAW (with VST's applied and such).
Quote by Getpsycho
You say Saffire in the heading, but refer to the unit as Scarlett, so I'm going to assume its the Scarlett 2i4.

The Scarlett 2i4 has its own ASIO driver available from Focusrite. From the picture it looks as though you've been to the focusrite website, added your serial number and got the VST pack that comes with the 2i4, did you also download the ASIO driver? You've mentioned the ASIO4ALL driver, but not the 2i4 driver from focusrite's website.

Does Abelton have a button in its audio input/output settings for ASIO settings? OR can you find ASIO4ALL in All Programs (it will appear in all programs if you specified that you wanted "offline settings" when you installed ASIO4ALL) If you do it will open ASIO4ALL settings and you can switch devices on and off within the menu. Then head into Abelton and see if the device shows up.

As a side note for monitoring your guitar, I'm sure you already know about this, but the scarlett 2i4 has its own monitoring on the right hand side of the unit, you will need stereo headphones with a 1/4 TRS jack (or adapter). This will allow you to hear your Direct Input from your guitar/instrument as you play as long as the scarlett is your active sound device in windows. The unit has a knob that moves between direct input and the sound coming from your DAW/PC. Depending on where the knob is you'll either hear more dry guitar DI, or more sound from your DAW (with VST's applied and such).

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Anyways, yes I have downloaded the ASIO driver from the official Focusrite website. But for whatever reason NONE of the DAWs I'm using seem to detect the ASIO driver. I've re-downloaded the official driver multiple times and it still doesn't detect it. The DAWs have no issues detecting the Scarlett when it comes to input/output, but not the ASIO driver.

I can get it to play and can monitor it correctly now, but the latency is so unbearable since I'm using whatever default driver is in the DAW. I need to get the DAWs to detect that official driver.
So I went ahead and installed the drivers for the Scarlett on an old netbook I rarely use anymore, and it actually works!

So SOMETHING on my newer laptop is preventing ASIO drivers from showing up properly in any DAW. Anyone have any idea on what could possibly be the problem? I've tried installing and using ASIO4ALL as well and that doesn't work either.
Last edited by wheelz1045 at Apr 30, 2014,