I'm hearing mixed reviews on both of these items. I am looking at either because they're in my price range and they're the ones most recommended.

What I'm looking for is easy to use and basic recording: noise reduction, balancing input/output so I can record You Tube vids & mp3s of me playing over backing tracks. I have no need for MIDI or other instruments. I will also be using my own amp sim so have no need for sims/fx from an interface. My DAW will probably be Reaper as everyone recommends it and there'll be a ton of support from my peers.

The 2i2 is MIDI-less which is fine by me but the 2i4 has a pad which is apparently very good for recording guitars. However, it it has unbalanced outputs which is apparently generates noise and hiss and the only reason I want an interface is to reduce the interference I currently have going straight from my modeller to my PC.

As for the Presonus, I hear its easier to use and can be good to go straight from the box but is reported to have latency issues.

Advice is much appreciated. Other interface suggestions too but $150 max (and preferably less).
Last edited by ice91 at Apr 30, 2014,
The 2i4 is fine, I have one right next to me that I use for all my recording. The balanced/unbalanced output thing is only relevant if you're using monitors coming from the outputs of the 2i4 on the back, which I'm guessing you won't be (and even then, over short distances the noise difference between balanced and unbalanced will be negligible). Haven't got any experience with the audiobox but I have heard a lot of people whine about the latency.
Have a look at the mackie onyx blackjack, them pres sound better than any scarlett's pre.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for the replies thus far. Remember, I''m not looking at using any inbuilt fx or sims. I am using my own amp equipment for that.

I also have Reaper so how does the studio software you get with each compare? I like the fact that Reaper is popular and so there's always someone with an answer nearby.
Last edited by ice91 at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by ice91
I also have Reaper so how does the studio software you get with each compare? I like the fact that Reaper is popular and so there's always someone with an answer nearby.
The DAW's that come with these suck, one worst than the other one.
I'm not sure if that expression works in english, so to clarify it means that each one sucks pretty bad.

If you like reaper, stick to that.
The differences in DAW's are mostly about workflow and built in plugins, and since you can get plugins that do everything from everywhere on the internet, stick to the DAW you like the workflow/user interface of better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.