Hey so I'm going to get the Simmons DA200s for my e-kit, and my idea is to connect the drum kit I have to the drum inputs, and then use the extension speaker jacks on the back of the amp to connect the amp to my interface, which is connected to my computer. will this work? Is there something I'm missing? I'm connecting it to my interface because I'm going to have the drums connected to my interface's MIDI and using some sounds I have on my computer instead of in my module.

And another question that is probably dumb, do I need to use instrument cable or speaker cable to run my drums to my amp? What about my amp to my interface?
Last edited by KillerPhail at Apr 30, 2014,
You don't wanna connect an amplified output to an interface, you'd fry the interface's first stage - you'd be putting too much power in it.
Just go from the drum module stereo output to the interface input, you don't need and you don't want any amp to do that.

To connect the drums to the amp, you'd need an instrument cable, and the same goes for the drums to the interface.
To connect power amp outputs to stuff you wanna use speaker cables - unless we're talking about really low power, you'd fry an instrument cable, so if you have an instrument cable that's fine to try at low volumes but get an instrument cable so you're sure you're not gonna break anything.
Though you don't wanna connect the power amp output to anything so you don't need a speaker cable.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Also I don't think that would work because you'd just ahve the speaker going from the amp into a the channel input on the interface right?

I don't think you'd be able to then convert that to MIDI.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
But if I don't have an amp going into the interface how am I going to hear its output? I have Krk rp8 monitors but they obviously won't provide the low end I want and I will probably blow them if I play the drums through them.
Quote by ProphetToJables
Also I don't think that would work because you'd just ahve the speaker going from the amp into a the channel input on the interface right?

I don't think you'd be able to then convert that to MIDI.

The MIDI is for fl studio. I have the Steven Slate drum vsti on FL and I use the drum kit to control it, so I can use those great sounds instead of the shitty ones in my module. I currently have my interface going to a pair of KRK studio monitors, I was just gonna take the cables out of the monitors and plug them into the amp.
Last edited by KillerPhail at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by KillerPhail
But if I don't have an amp going into the interface how am I going to hear its output? I have Krk rp8 monitors but they obviously won't provide the low end I want and I will probably blow them if I play the drums through them.
Wait that'd be for midi?
That'd be a way of transmitting audio.
If it's for midi, get a midi interface + a 5-pin din cable and hook the interface to the module.

Anyway, the module to the interface to the computer would get the sound to the computer, and then you could hook up the computer to whatever amplifier.
The rp8 would work just fine, and imo that amp won't give you a really satisfying low end.
Actually I think the monitors would work better...
Quote by KillerPhail
The MIDI is for fl studio. I have the Steven Slate drum vsti on FL and I use the drum kit to control it, so I can use those great sounds instead of the shitty ones in my module. I currently have my interface going to a pair of KRK studio monitors, I was just gonna take the cables out of the monitors and plug them into the amp.
No you won't wanna do that.
First of all I'm not sure if you can even get the audio from the monitors to the amp, but what you'd do would be sending the interface's output to the amp's input.
Skip the monitors.
Though again, that doesn't look like a hell of an amp so I'd stuck to the monitors.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Apr 30, 2014,
The monitors have 8 inch 2-way woofers, the amp has a dedicated 12 inch subwoofer. I've played the amp and the low end is way better than my monitors.

I have a midi cable going from my module to my interface. I've already used it to record before into fl studio using midi. How would hooking an amp to my laptop be any better than running it into an interface? I have my monitors hooked to my interfaces outputs, I was just gonna take the cables out my monitors and put them into the amp so it's basically just replacing the monitors with the amp.
Drums/interface/amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'll put up a video in a couple hours on my lunch break showing what I mean so I can clear things up.
Yep, see post #8. Unplug the KRKs and connect your interface "monitor out" to the "line input" of your amp. Adjust volume to taste. Done.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep, see post #8. Unplug the KRKs and connect your interface "monitor out" to the "line input" of your amp. Adjust volume to taste. Done.

alright thanks bud that's my idea.