I am about to purchase a Chorus pedal. I was considering either the TC.Electronics Corona or the MXR Stereo chorus.

The advantages of the Corona in my opinion are that it is about 1/3 cheaper and 9V supply is more common. The downloadable settings are a cool feature but I do not think it is particularly useful for me.

THe MXR M134 is analog. My most important concern is that I run out of supplies from my supply unit. Being 18V, and not much 18V pedals are around would allow me to have an extra pedal.

I have tried both and I like them. Please consider the sound of both pedals as well as the situation I mentioned above while suggesting. Thanks in advance.
Quote by Gab_Azz
I have tried both and I like them.
Well then you're asking us to make a decision you would have to make.
I mean we can advise you about what stuff to look at, but if you tried both the choice is yours and yours alone.

Also you didn't really specify your situation since you didn't tell us what you would have to do with it, what genres you're gonna play...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've went through a couple of different chorus pedals, but finally settled on the EHX Small Clone.
Even though it's cheaper than some of those chorus pedals I've owned, it sounds better, IMHO. Really great pedal.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I play rock mostly. Also, I am going to use it on clean guitar sound most of the time. No I'm not telling you to make the decision for me, but I would consider what other people think before purchasing. Basically I think I would get them both but I am about to decide which one I shall get first.

Also, with the Corona, being a chip processor - I don't know how it would behave in a long chain of effects such as noise or interference because I tried a couple of noise suppressors but I think they somewhat alter the guitar tone. I am weary of the noise as a had a similar problem with previous ones from a different brand.
I went to buy the Corona as I decided to go for it. I have some free time at the moment so I could experiment with the toneprint feature. The pedal is out of stock, the only one available was the one used on display. So I shall wait for new stock.
Can't you get them to discount the price because it's the display one?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Can't you get them to discount the price because it's the display one?

Online I read that their weakest point is the switch. So, I'd rather get a full priced one brand new in a sealed box.
Definitely the Corona out of the two, though I don't care for TC as a company.

Check out the Hardwire CR-7, blows both away IMO.

And if you want a simple analog chorus, I like the Boss CH-1 a lot, for what it is.

I'm assuming you just want typical, subtle-ish chorus sounds, right? Nothing ambient or crazy? Cause I can definitely help you more there if so.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
(a) Definitely the Corona out of the two, though I don't care for TC as a company.

(b) And if you want a simple analog chorus, I like the Boss CH-1 a lot, for what it is.

(a) not to derail the thread, but why? Just out of interest- I have no idea about what they're like

(b) I thought it was digital now? EDIT: yeah: http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/ch1.xml
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Definitely the Corona out of the two, though I don't care for TC as a company.

Check out the Hardwire CR-7, blows both away IMO.

And if you want a simple analog chorus, I like the Boss CH-1 a lot, for what it is.

I'm assuming you just want typical, subtle-ish chorus sounds, right? Nothing ambient or crazy? Cause I can definitely help you more there if so.

Yes, I'm looking for something subtle and sweet. I am not looking for a crazy effect.
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) not to derail the thread, but why? Just out of interest- I have no idea about what they're like

(b) I thought it was digital now? EDIT: yeah: http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/ch1.xml

A) Just straight up personal preference. I looked at chorus pedals extensively when I was trying to figure out which one to get for myself. The MXR just did not sound good to me, it's actually one of, if not the worst sounding ones I looked into. I'm not sure how to describe what I like about it well - the sounds in it just sound very cheap. Very brittle. The Corona on the other hand was like in the top 3. Sounds good, just not what I was looking for. Too subtle for me. Not to mention how TC is all scummy and what not.

B) The pre-2001 CH-1s are analog (blue & most pink labels), and I quite like them for what they are. I don't really know anything about how the post-2001 ones are in comparison though.

EDIT: I'm listening to choruses again, and I have to say that the TC is nicer than the Hardwire. Disregard my comment about that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 18, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
A) Not to mention how TC is all scummy and what not.

B) The pre-2001 CH-1s are analog (blue & most pink labels), and I quite like them for what they are. I don't really know anything about how the post-2001 ones are in comparison though.

(A) That's what I meant. I haven't heard anything. Dish the dirt!

(b) Yeah I haven't tried the older ones. Just thought it was worth pointing out if you meant the older ones so he doesn't just run out and buy a new one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(A) That's what I meant. I haven't heard anything. Dish the dirt!

(b) Yeah I haven't tried the older ones. Just thought it was worth pointing out if you meant the older ones so he doesn't just run out and buy a new one.

A) http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/411815-tc-electronic-customer-support.html

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/update-to-the-tc-electronic-customer-service-thread.632367/

http://blog.ovnilab.com/t-c-electronic-bad-customer-service/

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2517128/1

B)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Chorus, possibly more than any other pedal, is really a matter of personal taste. Opinions on reliability, build quality, durability have some value but when it comes to sound you have to try them for yourself. A chorus that I love you may hate.
For example I am very fond of the old Boss CE-2 but others will say that it's wimpy. I like subtle chorusing, others like it more in your face. It's a very subjective thing. You really have to try them in person.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
personally I love the DOD FX 65 stereo chorus and have been using it since it came out in the mid 80s. pure analog goodness and can be found(used) dirt cheap.
To be honest, I haven't tried the Boss. In the past when I tried other effects I always found something that is better than theirs. I am aware that the Corona are not the most durable pedals that is why I did not get the one used for display. In terms of sound it is exactly what I was looking for. As for the MXR I still got a great sound, I have other MXR pedals which are really great and are durable pedals. I shall try to find who is the new local dealer of Boss and try this chorus.
The CE-2 is quite a bit different to later ones. I'm not too keen on newer Boss choruses but the old MIJ CE-2 is a gem. The good Boss pedals are very good, others are ordinary or even shite. You just can't use a blanket evaluation on Boss pedals - well, except to say that they are built like a brick shithouse and ergonomically excellent.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Those reports are very discouraging, Dave_MC. but thanks for showing the whole picture. How do I recognise the right CE2 Cathbard?
They're made in Japan.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
today I went to the store selling boss, they had only the CH-1. I felt that the effect had a drop in volume compared to a clean signal. Furthermore I felt that the mids were somehow lowered. And I have spent so much energy to get a bright mid sound while this pedal removes my mid boost. Then The said that the CE-5 was out of stock. I know you said CS-2 but well that is what I found boss around.
yeah it's going to have to be used for a ce2, it's been out of production for some time now. a lot of analogue choruses are either clones or closely based on a ce2, though. Not saying you have to buy it, but it might let you try it to at least see if you like it. The most readily available one i know of currently is the mooer chorus ensemble. far as i'm aware it's a ce2-based chorus. As i said, not saying it's built as well as the boss, but it'd at least let you see if you liked it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The CE-2 has been out of production for coming up on 30 years now. Of course it's not very likely that you're going to walk into a store and find one.

How much did you mess with the CH-1 controls? One of the reasons I like it is because it has level and tone controls, which most choruses don't. Most choruses don't give you any mix or tone adjustment options at all.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 25, 2014,
CE-2"s are going for well over $100 on ebay. guessing you can find a chorus that will do the trick for less.
Yeah, you have to look around for one. I got my CE-2 from a fellow UG'er.

And btw, I was being a bit inaccurate when I said the good ones are the Japanese ones. The early Jap ones had a better chip than the later Jap ones but you'd have to be pretty unlucky. Most Jap ones had the 3007.
You want the black label ones. However, the 3207 chipped ones are still ok, the earlier 3007 ones are just better.

Any idea which chip Mooer are using, Dave?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
look into voodoo lab. i have a few of their pedals (microvibe and procatvia) and they do a damn good job.

may be worth looking into their stuff. i haven't personally played their chorus thouogh so i cannot guarantee. but the quality of their products i can attest to. similar to vibe a little bit, and i love my vibe.

see what you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHuUw3LBXpI look on TGP for a cheap one. thats a good place for a good price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 23, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
The CS-2 has been out of production for coming up on 30 years now. Of course it's not very likely that you're going to walk into a store and find one.

How much did you mess with the CH-1 controls? One of the reasons I like it is because it has level and tone controls, which most choruses don't. Most choruses don't give you any mix or tone adjustment options at all.

Yes and neither I can find a used one in my country being a small island. I played the CH-1 for about 30 minutes. It felt like the volume SLIGHTLY dropped and the mids were scooped. I think this would be ideal for metal players with a nice mid scoop. But I play with a mid boost so this may not be the pedal I am looking for.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah it's going to have to be used for a ce2, it's been out of production for some time now. a lot of analogue choruses are either clones or closely based on a ce2, though. Not saying you have to buy it, but it might let you try it to at least see if you like it. The most readily available one i know of currently is the mooer chorus ensemble. far as i'm aware it's a ce2-based chorus. As i said, not saying it's built as well as the boss, but it'd at least let you see if you liked it.

I heard some comparison videos on youtube and I liked it. I locally played on an Ibanez the pink one and I fell in love with it. The one that goes closest to the sound is the Corona in my opinion. (I have never played the Mooer) the guy at the store selling the boss almost convinced me to get the corona trying to hard-sell hiss product.
Yeah I think the CS9 (I'm guessing that's the one you mean) is well-regarded, too. I think I've heard that the joyo chorus (the cheaper one in the older case, not the newer one) is cs9-based, and it sounds pretty good and not a million miles away from the ce2 (or at least the ce2-based pedals I've tried).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I liked the providence chorus from the internet vids but it is a problem to find one locally. I've chatted a bit about choruses to the owner of the shop selling MXR. He used to have a boss pedal and he now likes the corona. I think I shall get it as soon as it is in stock locally. maybe soon I manage to get a providence one too.