So I picked up this Cort double cut a few months ago and man does it play better than any Les Paul I've ever picked up. But Christ, this thing is ugly. I'm going to strip it down and refinish it in classic Gibson Red (or scarlet, haven't decided yet) once the weather here in NY starts cooperating. I want her to look as good as she plays.

First question, what do you guys think on color choice? I'm keeping the aluminum pickguard for a whole Josh Homme MotorAve Bel Aire look.

Second question, alcohol or water soluble wood dye? Obviously water is easier but is alcohol any better?

Third question, a luthier told me to get about 4 rattle cans of nitro clear coat for a nice glossy finish and to wet sand between coats. How exactly do I go about doing this though? He was especially non specific about it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yea, keep the Aluminum PG, just because.

I've only used the water-soluble dye and they've been pretty straightforward/simple/easy.

I've bypassed wetsanding between coats and gotten a really glossy finish through polishing/buffing.

Check some of the links here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726.

Good luck!
Sweet, thanks man. I might actually make a new PG myself. I love the aluminum but the guy who made it (the guy who sold the guitar to me as it is in the pic) cut it that way and I don't dig how it pinches in the middle.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Sweet, thanks man. I might actually make a new PG myself. I love the aluminum but the guy who made it (the guy who sold the guitar to me as it is in the pic) cut it that way and I don't dig how it pinches in the middle.

I think it would be better to go with a smaller pickguard that conforms to the shape of the body better. Are there any cavities hidden by the pickguard, or are the electronics accessible from the back?
Quote by Oman1095
I think it would be better to go with a smaller pickguard that conforms to the shape of the body better. Are there any cavities hidden by the pickguard, or are the electronics accessible from the back?

Basically where all the controls are there are routes behind it. The original pickguard was like a 72 Tele kind of shape and it had pickups rings. I was thinking roughly the same size and shape just without the pinches.

This is the kind of look I'm going for with this one:

Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I like that, it's a great-looking guitar. The Cort is going to wear that in a different way, but it's still gonna look great. Good luck to you. I hope it turns out the way you want.