So I recently had to completely re-do my recording studio, and part of that meant parting with my Marshall halfstack and cabinet. I currently have a JCA20H (Jet City) head with two Electro-Harmonix 12AX7s, one Sovtek 12AX7, and 2 JJ EL84s in it on top of a JCA12s as my amp. I play through a downtuned Carvin 7 string with active EMG pickups, and have a few different pedals that i couldn't part with (a Big Muff, BOSS Equaliser, BOSS Compression Sustainer, and BOSS blues driver). I was aiming for the cheapest set-up possible without losing too much quality. Unfortunately, at the moment, my tone is completely muddy, and I can't seem to get the massive wall of sound distortion I was getting previously. I play a very chaotic form of death metal, and was hoping someone could give me a few tips on getting incredible tone through my current setup, without buying (very much at least) anything else. I should mention that this setup is solely for recording
Quote by AlexBukowski
I should mention that this setup is solely for recording

I always prefer to use real amps, but then I get the sound I need from my setup, but if you're struggling to get the desired tone from your amp etc, have you considered using sims on your PC? There's a sticky thread dedicated to them over in the Recordings forum.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
get a better speaker in your speaker cabinet. shouldn't cost *that* much.

maybe buy a tubescreamer-style overdrive- bad monkey or sd1 on the cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What other gear are you using for recording?
What settings are you using, more or less?
How's the acoustics of the room you're plying in?
Also, a clip of what you're getting from the recording would be greatly helpful.

With that setup you're not gonna get a massive wall of sound, but if you're recording stuff and you have the possibility of mixing your stuff, I don't see any big problem.

Use one of the pedals to boost the amp without adding much distortion, use the eq and try to compensate for the muddiness by cutting the lows, cut some highs to eliminate the fizziness, double track the thing, mix it and see how that goes.

Stacking distortion pedals will likely result in a muddy sound, and so will using a compressor.
Come on you have active pickups already, you have a boosted mid to high gain amp - you already have more compression than you need.

If you gotta buy something, buy a new speaker for that cab.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.