Hello, I am 50 yrs. old never played before, and have wanted to play for years. I want to learn to play Blues, but have no idea where to start. I have been trying to teach myself for about a month.I have watched a lot videos on the internet and read several books which have helped to get an understanding of the basics. Any help would greatly be appreciative. Thanks
Learn the pentatonic scale with the blues note, just search for how to play blues and you'll get around
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
is there any particular type of blues you want to learn?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
find a black guy as old as yourself, give him wine and tell him to tune up his dobro just dont let mamma catch ya
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
To start with some nice easy blues, learn the 12 bar pattern this is based around 3 chords, the first, fourth and fifth ( I IV V ). A nice easy one to start with would be based around A, these chords would be A, D and E. To make it sound more 'bluesy' you add whats called a Dominant 7th onto these chords.

A7 D7 E7

E--x------x------0------
A--0------x------2------
D--2------0------0------
G--0------2------1------
B--2------1------0------
E--0------2------0------

play these in this sort of structure;

A7 / / /|A7 / / /|A7 / / /|A7 / / /|D7 / / /|D7 / / /|A7 / / /|A7 / / /|E7 / / /|D7 / / /|A7 / / /|E7 / / /|

You've now learnt to play a 12 bar!

Now to play over it, you use the A blues scale, 2 really easy ways of playing these go as follows;

E------------------------------------------------5--8--------------------------------------
A--0---3----------------------------------------------5--6--7----------------------------
D----------0--1--2---------------------------------------------5--7-----------------------
G--------------------0--2---------------------------------------------5--7--8-------------
B--------------------------1--3--4---------------------------------------------5--8--------
E------------------------------------0--3---------------------------------------------5--8--

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!
Look up Marty Schwartz on Youtube. He has his on site as well as being affiliated with with others. He was a public school music teacher as well as gave private lesson, and has performed before in large venues. I recommend him to anyone who is just starting out no matter style of music you like.

PS. I took up the guitar 5 years ago and I am now 48.
Last edited by gsplsngr at May 6, 2014,