Hi,

Firstly, I'd like to apologise if this is in the wrong place..

I'm looking for information/help/whatever with my college courses.
I'm stuck between 2 at the moment, and just want to know where I stand a little better..
The two I'm looking at are;
"Music, media and performance technology"
and "Music production"

The first has a more established course, but the second is more focused on the audio element, which I'm more interested in. The second is also a collaboration course with Windmill Lane studios, pretty big I believe, at least here in Ireland whereas the tech course works out of an "industry standard" studio.

I've been in engineering for 2 years, but I can't stand it so I'm dropping it to pursue one of these which would suit me a lot more. That in mind, the first course is a 4 year course and the second only 3 years.. pushing me towards the second.. plus the second is in Dublin, where I am now and love it here.

Basically, I'm looking to see if anyone can input as to which would be better assuming I was to progress into the music/audio world afterwards. If there are any people who have done courses like these or work with people that have or whatever, I'd love to hear what ye have to say if ye don't mind!

Many thanks
I think both courses will be as effective as eachother at landing you a job.

Formal music qualifications are really about networking, and getting work experience. If you come away from either degree with no friends in the business, and no professional job experience, the degrees will be a waste.

If you're prepared to take steps to start your career whilst you study, I'd just opt for the second degree as that is what you are interested in.

If you wish to simply just study and hope for the best at the end, opt for a degree that has better career opportunities.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Thank you for the reply, I gathered as much really. Since the Dublin-based one works out of an actual, reputable studio I reckon that'd be the best networking-wise for meeting people in the business and the like.
I would absolutely go for the 2nd one, mostly based off of how much better you made it sound.

And it sounds like you're subconsciously pushing for the music production one anyways, so I would just say do what you love. Also, Alan wasn't kidding when he basically said it's not what you know, it's who you know.
Quote by seano554
Thank you for the reply, I gathered as much really. Since the Dublin-based one works out of an actual, reputable studio I reckon that'd be the best networking-wise for meeting people in the business and the like.

Of course you will make connections with fellow students as well as at the studio.

Just to put this into perspective, we all know that many students who study music professionally will end up working in the field due to the lack of demand for professional musicians.

Of the students at my local conservatorium, only 25% of them (as reported by other students within the course) actually played gigs whilst studying, and only 25% of the "giggers" would play non-classical or non-jazz gigs. These are estimates provided to me by students within the course.

So roughly only 6.25% of students whom were hoping to be professional musicians, would take any work that was given to them.

And then the remaining students who either (a) didn't gig or (b) were picky about the gigs they were offered enter the real world and wonder why they can't get work.

Of course this reasoning could be applied to ANY formal qualification that you study, however it's a really big issue in the Arts areas where the demand for professionals is already limited.
Soundcloud
yeah i'd be up for a section like that. I'm on the 2nd year of my music production degree. Just want it over with to be honest. So i can get back into live sound again
^^^ Why can't you get back into live sound now?
Soundcloud