So I got this amp for 5 bucks at a yard sale. I've never heard of the company so its probably not too great of an amp but its got an overdrive and chorus channel (must have been the 90's, lol). I'm guessing its a 20 watt since the model is called an "SGA-20C" but I'm not sure what size the speaker is. Its a nice little practice amp but the speaker is blown so I need a new one. I put up a tape measurer for scale but I'm still not sure what size to get. It also doesn't list the ohms, so should I worry about messing the amp up by getting a speaker that doesn't match up with the impedance of the amp?
http://imgur.com/a/gceXV
Last edited by xXusaspartansXx at Apr 30, 2014,
To measure the impedance you can measure the DC resistance of the speaker.
Just put the two pins of a multimeter on the faston connectors of the speaker and set the multimeter to 200ohm - the measurement should be a bit lower than the actual impedance, something like 7 to 8 if it's 8ohm and so on.

The speaker was something like 6".

If I was you I'd get a better amp instead of going through the hassle of finding a decent speaker of that size which might not even sound good because they could have had the speaker half matched to the amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

If I was you I'd get a better amp instead of going through the hassle of finding a decent speaker of that size which might not even sound good because they could have had the speaker half matched to the amp.

Well, I don't really care about it sounding great, I just want it to not crackle and pop every time I strum a chord. I have tons of amps but I don't have any practice amps. It would be nice to have something quieter to play on.
Oh well, jensen makes a couple pretty cheap 6" guitar speakers so if you're low on cash I guess that's the thing for you.

Still, I would look into another practice amp - I'm not sure the thing you have there will sound great nor it will sound good nor it will sound even acceptable with a new speaker.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
^ yeah the jensen mod 6" speaker is quite nice. it's about £15 IIRC. Not sure it's worth throwing any more money at it (you could always keep the jensen if the amp dies, but not very many amps are loaded with 6" speakers).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you could always keep the jensen if the amp dies, but not very many amps are loaded with 6" speakers
inb4 custom 4x6" cab for a practice rig.
That might even work if the volume doesn't really have to be high - pair it with whatever cheap head and boom, here you got enough bass for practicing at low volumes plus the sparkly high end of 6" speakers
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?