I know you guys have some secrets, tricks, and tips when it comes to delay. Don't be holding out on me now.

I wanted to add some more delay options to my board and I think I swam too far into the deep end. I just bought a new Vox DelayLab that's overwhelming me. My Flashback and Boss DD6 have been set on my board each with their own tempo that I use frequently. I bought the DelayLab not with the intent to replace them but to have a few delays and textures to add here and there for cleans and ambient parts.

I've spent the last few days fiddling around and understanding all the features of this pedal for when I dive into creating some presets. My issue is that I really don't even know where to begin.

What kinds of delay and settings do you guy use? This isn't restricted to DelayLab users, so feel free to chime in with any and every delay out there.

Delay is neither "The" or "Lay" Talk amongst yourselves
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have the Strymon TimeLine, so the modes I'm referring to are the ones on that pedal. I have quite a few presets that all do their own thing, some pretty standard, others less. I'm only naming the less straight-forward ones. I have a wide array of tape and digital delay's going on for certain songs outside of these.

A duck delay for one song, where I don't want the delay to interfere with a faster part I play, but that rings out in the slower parts.

A reverse delay for a song where I play a gloomy kind of riff, where I want the delay to swell into the riff in the distance to create more space.

An ice delay in a song where I want higher octaves being heard in the delay signal, but not in the main signal. It adds an ambience that alludes the audience.

A swell delay with a very high mix for an ambient crossover in between songs. I just want some vague chords and notes ringing that blend nicely together.

A pattern delay. Pretty self-explanatory, I think. Feeds the signal in a certain pattern. I use it because I used to run a delay pedal into another one, and it gives the same effect.

The way I create presets is pretty simple. I either have a sound in mind and try to replicate it as close as possible, or I just set some random parameters, let the delay inspire me and then adjust to taste.

Hope you can do something with my comment and if you have any specific questions, fire away.
Personally tap-tempo is a must. Then I can use it live on any song without it sounding weird.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I would have liked to hunt down a TimeLine. Could always do that if I really get into dialing in delays and knowing specifically what I want. The DelayLab will do for now.

I'm very picky when it comes to reverse delay but it sounds like you're using it the same way I would. Too many people use it as a lame "play my part but in reverse!" but I like it almost 100% wet while picking single notes of a chord, sounds pretty eerie and stands out.

The DelayLab has a mode just like the ice delay you're talking about. You can set the pitch of the overtones in the delayed signal. I've already got a preset dialed in for that. What kind of delay time do you use for that?

The pattern delay had my interest today. It's call something else on the Vox but same concept. I need to mess with it some more to get what I want out of it.

Where do you run your TimeLine in your signal? I've heard you can run that in front of an amp's distortion without much of a problem thanks to the filter options. Obviously, any delay in front of higher gain amps isn't going to be ideal but curios to know how it does in front of any type of drive/gain.
so...you now have 3 delays? if i was you and i knew i wanted that many options on tap, i would have bought a flashback x4 or a TC tova or something.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Guitarmiester
I would have liked to hunt down a TimeLine. Could always do that if I really get into dialing in delays and knowing specifically what I want. The DelayLab will do for now.

I'm very picky when it comes to reverse delay but it sounds like you're using it the same way I would. Too many people use it as a lame "play my part but in reverse!" but I like it almost 100% wet while picking single notes of a chord, sounds pretty eerie and stands out.

The DelayLab has a mode just like the ice delay you're talking about. You can set the pitch of the overtones in the delayed signal. I've already got a preset dialed in for that. What kind of delay time do you use for that?

The pattern delay had my interest today. It's call something else on the Vox but same concept. I need to mess with it some more to get what I want out of it.

Where do you run your TimeLine in your signal? I've heard you can run that in front of an amp's distortion without much of a problem thanks to the filter options. Obviously, any delay in front of higher gain amps isn't going to be ideal but curios to know how it does in front of any type of drive/gain.

The delay time on the ice preset is pretty fast, but I don't know the exact BPM. It's a pretty fast time, but with quite some repeats.

I run mine in the loop, but it does fine in front of drive in my opinion. I just like it in the loop more for the looper options. I've never run it in front of high gain though.
Rtfm
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice choice on the Delaylab, i love mine! I tried it out alongside the Flashback x4 and just preferred it (contriversial i know...)

Also a big fan of my Malekko 616 for analogue delay and feedback tinkering.

I have to say the external foot-controller is really something, can get some extra cool sounds with it. My favourite is using it on reverse mod to balance the mix from wet to dry, this lets you get some awesome eastern-style sounds.

I still don't understand what multi-tap is though.
Quote by ikey_
so...you now have 3 delays? if i was you and i knew i wanted that many options on tap, i would have bought a flashback x4 or a TC tova or something.

I originally had a DD20 that I really didn't use because delay wasn't something I used in the band I was in at that time, so I sold it and bought a DD3 just for use with solos. Fast forward to current day and in a different band where I have the room to mess with delays and picked up a Flashback a few months ago for two different delay times I use often. Buying the DelayLab was more or less random otherwise I most likely would have taken the FBX4 instead of the single pedal Flashback. It's all part of being a musician. You buy/sell/trade/and sometimes re-buy gear a lot, at least I do.

I K0nijn I - I'll have to mess around with that preset a bit more. I've heard several bands use that delay mode on the Strymon but never messed with it myself so I've been like a little kid fascinated with my first set of Legos.

jaybals - I really like my Flashback, which is great for digital delays since the repeats are so clean and clear, especially with the 2290 but doesn't really cut it with its analogue and tape simulations. The DelayLab does a much better job in that department, especially with the additional tone controls. Haven't even hooked up an ext. footswitch yet and probably won't even try that for a while now otherwise I'll be messing with presets more than actually playing.
Quote by ikey_

Why? He bought a Delaylab which is basically the same thing as the Flashback X4, just cheaper and with a lot more presets
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com