I traded my bong for an Ibanez Gio GSA 60 on a whim. I have no idea how to play guitar and I don't even know how to hold it but I've decided that I'm going to learn. Is this guitar any good? Will it be good to learn on? One of the strings is broken, how much will it cost to replace it? How much does a case cost? An amp? Thank you guys.
Ooohh where to begin. What do you want to play eventually and what's your budget for the amp?

A new set of strings is like $5. Get a string winder for another $3. Watch a youtube video on how to change strings. Bam. Done. Replace all of them too, while you're at it.

The Gio Ibanez guitars are pretty good starter guitars. A better starting point than those all in one boxes with an amp included.

A good soft case will be like $50 and a hard case is like $130ish. If you search on craigslist for a used one you can find one a lot cheaper.

EDIT: Welcome to the family!
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Apr 30, 2014,
I want to play music man haha. I don't want to spend a lot on the amp, but I'm willing to spend the money on a decent one. It's an electric guitar and it deserves an amp. The guy who traded me the guitar said I could get an amp for it for like 50 dollars. What's the best way to learn to play without taking actual lessons? I mostly just want to learn for fun.
The best way to learn without lessons is just play what you like. That's how all the self taught greats did it. You are on the biggest website for guitar tablature on the internet. Just go to the homepage and go nuts. Again, just do a quick google search on how to read tabs. Way easier than standard sheet music.

As far as good amps you'll want to start with a good one speaker, tube powered combo amp. The popular go-to on this site is the Peavey Vypyr 30 or 60. Either will run you just under $200. Great amps because they do just about any sound you need. But if you can get down to a music store and give each amp a try go for it. Even if you don't know how to play just give it a shot to see if you like the sound. Any amp you get under like $100 new isn't going to be terribly spectacular. If you wanna go used though and save a bit of dough, go for it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The type of music you want to play dictates the amp (to a point, maybe not so much here) but anyways, how i started out was just fooling around. Check out youtube videos for techniques (specifically power chords, alternate picking, palm muting, and basic exercises) then have fun with those. Eventually it will all start falling in place. Check out the tabs for your favorite songs (99.99% will consist of entirely or include those techniques) and play along with them. Learn riffs and then maybe fool around while seeing what sounds good together (power chord progressions too). All that will help you get to know the instrument and became a decent novice guitaridt. But obviously the first thing you need to learn is smoke on the water good luck man! Youll love it!
EDIT: check craigslist or reverb.com for used gear. Youll save a pretty penny. Especially once you start getting into pedals
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by dakota.lock.1
I want to play music man haha. I don't want to spend a lot on the amp, but I'm willing to spend the money on a decent one. It's an electric guitar and it deserves an amp. The guy who traded me the guitar said I could get an amp for it for like 50 dollars. What's the best way to learn to play without taking actual lessons? I mostly just want to learn for fun.

Note tab pro on here is a pretty awesome program. $8 for three months is a fantastic deal, I wouldn't know what to do without it.