Hi all,

i recently bought a Jackson kelly JS32t, as it was very cheap and seemed to suit the style I play (metal). I am quite pleased with it, as it has quite a fast neck, and I can get a reasonable sound out of it.

However, purchasing this cheapy guitar has got me wanting to get something really good, which will be a pleasure to play and listen to.

Looking for something that really screams, for example, I love pinch harmonics. I also love the overly engineered metal/hard rock sounds from the 80s, like Skid row, Motley crue, Warrant to name a few.

One thing, I don't want EMG 81s, I do like active pickups, but would prefer Seymour Duncans.

Budget? - up to $2500

Favorite Artists? - Skid row - for the harmonics on youth gone wild , Pantera, Sylosis

Preferences? - Regular double cut shape, fast playing neck

Pickups? - Actives - I really like the sound of SD Blackouts, from what I have seen, but truth be told I have only seen comparison vids on youtube

New or Used? - Either

Location? - Sydney, Australia

Current Gear? - Jackson js32t, running through guitar rig 5 with large studio monitors

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Try an ESP M-II NTB if you can. Failing that, maybe a Jackson SL2H?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 1, 2014,
Quote by oneblackened
Try an ESP M-II NTB if you can. Failing that, maybe a Jackson SL2H?

Cheers for the suggestions.

The ESP M-II NTB looks really good. Comes stock with EMG 81s though. This model looks kind of similar but has seymour Duncan blackouts - what do you reckon this would be like?
http://bmusic.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15_20&products_id=3597

Is it easy enough to swap out pickups?
I forgot the HRF series existed, actually - they're a good option.

Yes, it's easy enough to swap pickups, especially with actives. EMGs and Duncan Blackouts use the same connectors too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Sylosis is currently using Reverend Sensei HB and Sensei RA guitars. I don't think they're sold in Australia per se, but you should be able to get one from an online retailer for not too much. Probably could get one of each for $2500...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6FoEyW_LQc&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
My RG270 is a pretty heavy (sound and style; not weight) guitar. I changed the trem from the single-locking LoTro II to a Floyd 1000. It's a beast. I'd like to put some Duncans in it, but with the current purchase of my Sheraton, I can wait.
2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster 1994 Ibanez RG270 1970's Hondo Les Paul 2011 Epiphone Sheraton II 1990's Kit Built Telecaster 2005 Ibanez AW40NT 1949 Harmony Sovereign
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Those reverend guitars look pretty cool. I wonder what they sound like? I guess they are not the guitars the recorded with since they only just hooked up with them in that video in late 2013?
The video was uploaded late March 2013.

Here's another from a few days before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYiS9-SJhBw&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 4, 2014,
Good call on the Blackouts. I replaced the EMG 81 in the bridge of my LTD EC-1000 with a Blackout AHB-2 "blackout for metal" and I love it.
see if you can find a USED J-Custom ibanez. likely out of price range.

what are you using for an amp? edit, just computer based.

i would pick up an ibanez prestige and a decent tube amp. it will fit into your budget if you look for a good deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 5, 2014,