Hey Guys !

My name is victor and I really need the help of some experienced musicians for choosing my new guitar head mostly because I wont be able to test and choose one because my uncle lives in the U.S and he ill bring the head for me next month.

Last year I went to U.S to visit him. At Guitar Center I had the pleasure to play in a mesa boogie mark (cant remember wich version) with a 2x12 recto cab and sounds fantastic even in a low volume , that massive dark sound at high gain chanel was something I ve never heard before and the cleans and crunch great too! Unfortunately I coudnt buy it because ait wast to expensive (2.500US) . Really wish to remember that mark version was all black head with graphic Eq played it at guitar center florida orlando.

So I was looking for a similiar guitar head arround 1.000US Used or Not I dont mind. Just want that huge massice dark tone in high gain for heavy metal playing and also a good clean/crunch!

Not to loud to play at home , really wish I could have great tones at lower levels but alsp a good one to play with a band

Should I stick with used marks? Can I found an used one at Gc in this price range?

By the way thanks for your reply!
Last edited by joaovictor.korf at May 1, 2014,
Quote by joaovictor.korf
Hey Guys !

My name is victor and I really need the help of some experienced musicians for choosing my new guitar head mostly because I wont be able to test and choose one because my uncle lives in the U.S and he ill bring the head for me next month.

Last year I went to U.S to visit him. At Guitar Center I had the pleasure to play in a mesa boogie mark (cant remember wich version) with a 2x12 recto cab and sounds fantastic even in a low volume , that massive dark sound at high gain chanel was something I ve never heard before and the cleans and crunch great too! Unfortunately I coudnt buy it because ait wast to expensive (2.500US) . Really wish to remember that mark version was all black head with graphic Eq played it at guitar center florida orlando.

So I was looking for a similiar guitar head arround 1.000US Used or Not I dont mind. Just want that huge massice dark tone in high gain for heavy metal playing and also a good clean/crunch!

Not to loud to play at home , really wish I could have great tones at lower levels but alsp a good one to play with a band

Should I stick with used marks? Can I found an used one at Gc in this price range?

By the way thanks for your reply!

that was likely a Mesa MKV.

i have a MKIV (the one before) and love it. i paid IIRC $780 for mine used. most people like the V better, i have played one, and wouldn't mind owning both, they are pretty different. the MKV has better cleans, and doesn't share two of the knobs for the first and second channel.

if you want to hear a good MKIV example listen to lamb of god, they used MKIV's for a long time IRC the whole time they were made. then the MKV came out and they changed around to something else. but Sacrament and earlier were MKIV. ashes of the wake has a good example.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Every Mesa head is awesome if you ask me. You can probably get a Dual Rec in that price range used and definitely a Single Rec or Rectoverb.

The Recto 2x12 is a great V30 cab. Orange amps worked great with it too. Totally different from the Mark sound though.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that was likely a Mesa MKV.

i have a MKIV (the one before) and love it. i paid IIRC $780 for mine used. most people like the V better, i have played one, and wouldn't mind owning both, they are pretty different. the MKV has better cleans, and doesn't share two of the knobs for the first and second channel.

if you want to hear a good MKIV example listen to lamb of god, they used MKIV's for a long time IRC the whole time they were made. then the MKV came out and they changed around to something else. but Sacrament and earlier were MKIV. ashes of the wake has a good example.

Wow man thats the dream ! 780US for an used MKIV . Wish I could find one at Guitar Center Website. Wonder if is there another trustable web site I could search for used instruments

I ve found the Krank Jr, mesa nomad 100 , f50 and mesa 5:50 another options beside my first op MK series . Any thoughts on them? Are they good for heavy metal tones with that madsive sound and also versatile amps?
Quote by joaovictor.korf

I ve found the Krank Jr, mesa nomad 100 , f50 and mesa 5:50 another options beside my first op MK series . Any thoughts on them? Are they good for heavy metal tones with that madsive sound and also versatile amps?

Probably not the Krank, I think the Mesa amps are all good for metal tones but some people don't find the Nomad, F50 or 5:50 as high gain as say 6505 or Engl. I find all of these great for rock, metal or anything in between. The F50 probably will be the tamer of the three.
Quote by joaovictor.korf
Wow man thats the dream ! 780US for an used MKIV . Wish I could find one at Guitar Center Website. Wonder if is there another trustable web site I could search for used instruments

There is a Mark IV head for $999 at GC on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

Kranks are great amps, but if you like the Mark, the Krank amps are not what your looking for
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys! So good when you can count on nice to ppl to help you online!

I ve read lot of good comments about the peavey 5150 head thoughts on this one? Dark soundind and Good as mark? Bending to it since its way cheaper

To heavy metal impacting sound would be better a guitar head+recto cab 2x12 with v30s or a mark V combo would have the same tone? Cuz its cheaper to buy a 1x12 combo than the mark stack
If you want the Mesa tone, you'll only be happy with the Mesa IMo.

5150's sound very different. At least to my ears .
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by joaovictor.korf
Thanks guys! So good when you can count on nice to ppl to help you online!

I ve read lot of good comments about the peavey 5150 head thoughts on this one? Dark soundind and Good as mark? Bending to it since its way cheaper

To heavy metal impacting sound would be better a guitar head+recto cab 2x12 with v30s or a mark V combo would have the same tone? Cuz its cheaper to buy a 1x12 combo than the mark stack

the 5150/6505's/ect. are totally different than a mark. could get much more different. listen to some demos.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by joaovictor.korf
Mark combo vs mark + 2x12 rect cab? Is there any difference?

The actual amps are the same. The combo is super heavy and has an open-back. You can use the combo with your 2x12 also. The combo will be more expensive to ship/ bring on a plane.

The head is IMO the better one to get if you can, but the combo will do you just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate