I'm looking for a new amp, preferably a 2x12 to get the full stereo thing going. My budget is around $1500 or so max. Wont go used. Nothing wrong with used, its just a personal thing. I play mostly jazz, folk, classic rock (60's and 70's), and 80's pop (i.e. David Bowie, Duran Duran, Bon Jovi, etc.)

Current Gear
Laguna LE422
Roland Cube 15W
Digitech RP350 (not the best, I know)

My current setup is fine, but I obviously need something bigger and better for gigs. I really like my current tone. Id prefer to stay with solid state due to it giving a more consistent sound (at least in my opinion). However the only SS amp for gigging I can think of is the Roland JC120 (and its god-awful distortion), but I'm sure a tube-driven distortion pedal can fix that. But I digress. I'm willing to go tube and have picked out a few to try out next time at the shop.

To Try Out
Vox AC30
Peavey ValveKing
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Haze
Marshall DSL40
Bugera V22 or V55 (depending on headroom)
Orange 30W (I think its called the Dual Terror or something?)
Blackstar Venue Series

^
would any of these be good enough or what else should I look into?
Last edited by neptune1988 at May 1, 2014,
Ac30
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Ac30

This is the right choice.

Have a gander at the Laney Lionheart 20 as well.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
AC30 again. Seems to be an all around popular choice. Great sound and takes pedals really well.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
AC30 again. Seems to be an all around popular choice. Great sound and takes pedals really well.

+3,1415

You can't go wrong with an AC30.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Lots of choices under $1500. Vox AC30 is a good one. I am a bit confused by the "2x12 stereo thing". A 2x12 cab adds 3db and larger size but is very rarely a true stereo setup. If you really want a stereo effect, get two 1x12 cabs instead and put them on either side of the stage. You don't mention where you live and often that narrows your choices considerably.

A few more ideas:

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
Fender Supersonic
Fender Hot Rod series
Any small Mesa with a choice of cabinets.

Marshall, Orange, and Blackstar do rock really well but are a lot less useful for Folk or Jazz. Vox, Fender and Mesa shine here.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Lots of choices under $1500. Vox AC30 is a good one. I am a bit confused by the "2x12 stereo thing". A 2x12 cab adds 3db and larger size but is very rarely a true stereo setup. If you really want a stereo effect, get two 1x12 cabs instead and put them on either side of the stage. You don't mention where you live and often that narrows your choices considerably.

I think 2 cabs on the stage for stereo sound is going to be more work than it's worth. Most places are going to mic your cab and run you through the house board into the PA.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
I think 2 cabs on the stage for stereo sound is going to be more work than it's worth. Most places are going to mic your cab and run you through the house board into the PA.

I have done this for better coverage outdoors but it is rarely needed. I have no interest in stereo guitar. If he really wants a stereo effect he will need 2 cabs spread far apart instead of a single 2x12.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 1, 2014,
IMO an AC30 is too loud, buy an AC15 and an extra 1x12 or 2x12 cab
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
The Peavey Classic line is a good choice but I would go with a Classic 50 or a Delta Blues before the Classic 30.
Orange AD30 if that is under 1500 USD new is a good option also, in my opinion. I'd take it over a Vox AC30.
OP: I think all the amps you list are good.
Look into: Mesa 5:50 or 5:25, Traynor YCV50, Egnater Tweaker

Personally I'll probably go Orange as the way they tune their amps has a certain midrange throatiness that I really dig.
If you can find one, you might consider getting a Line 6 DT50 2x12. If you're lucky, you could probably pair it up with a Pod HD as the prices have dropped since the HDX series came out.

It's a pretty versatile setup. The amp, even without the Pod, sounds really nice and it can do just about anything you'd want it to.
Amps+ FX:
6505+ Head
Line 6 DT50 2x12
Line 6 Pod HD500
Maxon OD808
MXR 10 Band EQ
Guitars
Ibanez SZR720
Schecter ATX C-7 Blackjack
Ibanez RGA7
Ovation Celebrity
Agile Dauntless(SD Pups)
Fender Modern Player Tele+
Quote by jakub421
IMO an AC30 is too loud, buy an AC15 and an extra 1x12 or 2x12 cab
Too loud for what, pussy?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Too loud for what, pussy?

If its too loud, you're too old! Take it on back to the home gramps

I remember trying the AC30 several years ago when I was picking out guitars. I remember really liking the AC30. It was very versatile, and it was actually kinda hard to get a bad sound out of it.
Quote by diabolical
OP: I think all the amps you list are good.
Look into: Mesa 5:50 or 5:25, Traynor YCV50, Egnater Tweaker

Personally I'll probably go Orange as the way they tune their amps has a certain midrange throatiness that I really dig.

if you want mesa you scratch off the others and pick up an MkIV and would have cash for a nice cab and OD.

i like my dual terror a ton. can get really quiet at night and both channels are pretty dynamic.

personally wouldn't rec a tweaker. i owned one, didn't like it. YMMV
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If I had $1500 to spend on an amp I'd get a Randall RM and a few different modules for variety. Sure you have tobuy the amp used but you can buy new modules.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20