I have a little point or two near the end that mentions how I've released an album, played at festivals such as Red Bull Air Race and Ribfest, and been played on all the rock/alternatives stations in this city and few others.

I use to have in it experience a few years back but just moved it to hobby/skills/misc. whatever I call that section. I don't have much to put on my resume just because the jobs I've had I've worked at for multiple years while as most people I know have worked at a dozen jobs and got fired from half. Luckily I have a lot of volunteer experience to cram in there too.

Now I'm thinking I'll remove it completely because it might suggest a) you're young, b) you play shows and will have to book off weekends (important in the area I work in), c) other negative stereotypes about musicians.

While that may not be to farfetched to assume, my previous job was an almost entire crew of musicians. The owner was really into rock and also owned a bar where bands would play all the time and thought it was cool to have local musicians as employees. I pretty much got hired on no relevant experience because I had played at a bar his friend owned and had seen us and thought we were good.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
You're right about the discrimination. Putting that you're a musician is a dead giveaway of your substance abuse and masturbatory afflictions. If they're keen they might be able to deduce that you have long hair and are deaf.
Israel is a terrorist state.
i can only imagine it be relevant if you were going for music related work. i can see how it can apply the leadership extra curricular etc, but i mean if you're applying to be a desk clerk or a pm i doubt that they care if you can do magic tricks. it is all about relevance
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Only if creativity and/or teamwork are relevant skills for the job I'm applying to, and those are pretty much relevant for any job.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Like what delirium said, you need to frame it in a "management" context. So not that you played in a band or whatever, but that you've managed bookings, interfaced with venues, handled marketing, etc.

I have gotten good responses from people about my background in music. I've found it to be a great conversation starter and interviewers can relate better to you (who doesn't like music other than WillT and Snazz? lolz). They helped rather than hindered my job interviews.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Like what delirium said, you need to frame it in a "management" context. So not that you played in a band or whatever, but that you've managed bookings, interfaced with venues, handled marketing, etc.

I have gotten good responses from people about my background in music. I've found it to be a great conversation starter and interviewers can relate better to you (who doesn't like music other than WillT and Snazz? lolz). They helped rather than hindered my job interviews.

Another great point. Good employers recognise that people skills go a long way, no matter what job you're in. If you show that you actually have interests and are, well, human, it helps.
Quote by KingChris90
No, but i put sexuall experience.

"Wanks copiously, but able to multitask"
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
"Wanks copiously, but able to multitask"

Wait, we can actually put that?
Quote by Hardlycore
Wait, we can actually put that?

Depends if the workplace considers constant wanking to be "sexual harassment".

OT:
I wouldn't put my musical experiences unless the company was looking to hire someone with musical experiences. Otherwise, it's just not relevant.
Quote by Xiaoxi

hey m8 me and snazz are the only cunts on here who know who 8dio are u little prik

edit: ^ best ug post ever
A boss might not want to hire you if you give him your musical experience because he could assume you will ask for time off to gig/practice.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by willT08
hey m8 me and snazz are the only cunts on here who know who 8dio are u little prik

edit: ^ best ug post ever

Quote by 457undead
A boss might not want to hire you if you give him your musical experience because he could assume you will ask for time off to gig/practice.

lol no

Anybody who is actually that dense, you don't want to work for. Competent employers value diversity and individuality in their employees, especially ones who have "creative intelligence".

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 1, 2014,
Quote by 457undead

People ask for time off for many different reasons- it's not like music is a special case. And it also doesn't mean that the boss has to let him.
I'd keep it on there.

With jobs, if the employer saw me they'd probably reject me cuz dreads yo.

But on my university application form I did put how by teaching myself the guitar I learn skills such as patience, dedication, self learning abilities, perseverance etc. Could also mention working with others too etc.

Just gotta make it sound impressive is all.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I do but only because I don't have much to put on my resume so far and my teacher said it was a good idea. I didn't really think anyone would take that stuff seriously but she said it would look good so yeah. I also put that I've made a visual novel on my resume hah.
I rarely pay any attention to people's "interests" section of their resume. If they have the fundamentals for a job I will bring them in for an interview and then once the basics have been covered I may ask about their hobbies etc but I could really care less about what their hobbies
I'm not in a band, but I wouldn't if I was.

My co-op advisor at school made me put something in a volunteer work section because I played piano at some retirement homes a few times when younger. And I put that I give music lessons since I do. But you gotta frame it in a way that would look good. Talk about the skills it's given you.

I'm not applying to like real "grown-up" jobs at the moment though since I'm still in school. Resume will most likely look much different when I'm done with school and will be relevant to whatever job I'm applying for. It's pretty broad right now since I was trying to get any job I could.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at May 1, 2014,
Only if I feel its relevant--aka when I applied for music and instrument stores. But for the IT positions I apply for it wouldn't matter in the least. In fact I've read articles by recruiters and HR workers who say that they can't stand resumes that have that kind of stuff because it makes it seem like you're stretching to fill up the resume.

I'd only do it if the job in question is music-related.
Yup. It's a skill and highly relevant to the career I'm pursuing.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by badfish_lewis
I rarely pay any attention to people's "interests" section of their resume. If they have the fundamentals for a job I will bring them in for an interview and then once the basics have been covered I may ask about their hobbies etc but I could really care less about what their hobbies

People still put an "interests" section on their resume? What is this, 2001?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
People still put an "interests" section on their resume? What is this, 2001?

Yes.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Not unless I'm applying for full time hippy.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Not unless I'm applying for full time hippy.

Now THAT is a job I would like to wake up for.
maybe you should also put your high score in call of duty...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I dont think you should. Odds are you are applying to a job that only needs you for your physical self, which could easily be replaced by a robot, your best bet is to write all of your limbs fully function and you know basic math and english, because thats all they need, sadly.