There's and EHX LPB-1 for sale on the local Craigslist for a good price, and it got me to wondering...

I use(d) OD(s) like most people on here do, with the volume up and gain down with tone set to taste. I know the LPB-1 is a clean boost but wouldn't that pretty much be doing the same thing an OD would do, seeing as how the volume is only being boosted on it (minus tone, of course)?

If so, cool. If not, then oh well. I read some reviews/forum posts about it and while it branded as a clean boost, a few people have said that it gives just enough of a boost to OD the amp.

I'm asking because if it does do that, then I'll use it with my amps OD channel as a boost so I can get more power/response from my guitar.

Thanks
I've owned a handful of clean boosts and none of them have ever satisfied me. They do exactly what it sounds like, they boost your tone, cleanly. I'd see it as a cool pedal if I ever needed a solo boost switch, then I'd put it in the loop and get a nice volume boost out of it, but they generally don't affect your tone much in the front, like an overdrive would. They can add a little bit of a sparkle, but just ended up giving up on them and going back to my overdrives - they thicken the tone far more and affect the sound in a way that I find much more preferable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if you want a good clean boost look into a timmy. mine is a little bit different (i wanted it that way and a member built it), but i use it with R2 channel of my MKIV and it loves it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
One of the features I love about the Randall RM20 I bought recently, is it has a footswitchable boost with gain and level control. Very, very useful feature on a single channel amp. So I say, if you have a single channel amp without a built in, footswitchable boost with gain and level control, a clean boost pedal like the lpb1 can be very useful. Otherwise, an od is the way to go, imo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've owned a handful of clean boosts and none of them have ever satisfied me. They do exactly what it sounds like, they boost your tone, cleanly. I'd see it as a cool pedal if I ever needed a solo boost switch, then I'd put it in the loop and get a nice volume boost out of it, but they generally don't affect your tone much in the front, like an overdrive would. They can add a little bit of a sparkle, but just ended up giving up on them and going back to my overdrives - they thicken the tone far more and affect the sound in a way that I find much more preferable.

+1

If it's cheap enough and you're curious, just get it anyway and see. You might as well give it a shot, you might prefer it.

But for higher gain tones I generally prefer an OD (used as a pseudo-clean boost) than a clean boost- it just does a bunch of things I prefer to the tone and saturation (and also gives me more options). I can see the appeal of a clean boost either as a volume boost like MC described, or for more vintage tones with more vintage-style amps, to sound just like you've turned the amp up a bit (so it's easier to roll back to clean with the guitar's volume control, for example).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want to boost the amplifier, it is important to place the boost after the pre-amp. If you put it in front of the preamp it will add gain and act like an OD. So place such pedals in the effects loop. This way it will add volume to the signal that will go into the power amp. Also, having the right setup on the pedal is important. Some have gain/boost setting only while others have a more complex control. I have tried a number of signal boosters but not the one you mentioned.