Hello UGers,

It has been over two months already, and I still haven`t an answer from Crimson Guitars` Ben (read my previous post https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1634978), so I thought about making a slimline locking nut by myself, just out of curiosity. For those who know about guitar nuts, do you have any tips for a complete noob?

(http://crimsonguitars.com/gallery/45rpm-blackburst/) that`s the nut.

Thanks in advance guys
I don't mean to sound patronising, but have you tried calling them? There's a mobile number on the Crimson Guitars website.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I don't mean to sound patronising, but have you tried calling them? There's a mobile number on the Crimson Guitars website.

I live in Portugal, so it would be expensive calling, maybe later, I have e-mailed them twice, but nothing. But thanks for the input, I haven´t seen that mobile number
What kind of guitar is it going on? Why do you wan't that nut anyways? If you are putting it on a guitar with a bridge that does not have fine tuners (TOM, vintage trem, fixed) it will do you no good. If you are swapping a normal sized locking nut for one of these things then it's just not worth it IMO.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
What kind of guitar is it going on? Why do you wan't that nut anyways? If you are putting it on a guitar with a bridge that does not have fine tuners (TOM, vintage trem, fixed) it will do you no good. If you are swapping a normal sized locking nut for one of these things then it's just not worth it IMO.

This is some kind of "imaginary" project, as an alternative to all the routing to put a floyd rose in a guitar. I have heard of the Super Vee tremolo, with fine tuners and that weird nut, which only works on strats. Mine is a Yamaha RGX 121Z, with a different nut, so a different locking nut would like the one I described from Crimson, sitting more comfortably in the neck, and I wondered what did it take to build one like that, just that, along with the Super Vee tremolo.
Ok, after some research, I came to the conclusion that if I do a regular nut as a template, but with no curves, and drill 3 holes for screws and something to effectively "lock" the strings would work, what do you think? Also, I thought of aluminum as the material, any suggestions on shaping aluminum? http://crimsonguitars.com/workshop-diary/images/stories/food/051009/14.JPG
Last edited by Mr RafaelD at May 16, 2014,
If you're going to do it, I'd suggest steel or brass.
While you're being fanciful, consider some design parameters. You need to hold the bass plate of the nut to the guitar, and you'll notice that Floyd uses some fairly heavy duty screws (or bolts) to do that. Then you need to have drilled and tapped that bass plate for the three screws that are actually going to hold down the plates that keep the strings from moving.

Be mindful that if you drill into the neck at that point, you're weakening it, and then you're subjecting that very spot to the stresses of vibrato wankery. Be careful that you don't weaken it enough to produce a headstock collapse.

I'd suggest trying that trem enough to know if it does what you need, rather than purchasing blind.
Quote by dspellman
If you're going to do it, I'd suggest steel or brass.
While you're being fanciful, consider some design parameters. You need to hold the bass plate of the nut to the guitar, and you'll notice that Floyd uses some fairly heavy duty screws (or bolts) to do that. Then you need to have drilled and tapped that bass plate for the three screws that are actually going to hold down the plates that keep the strings from moving.

Be mindful that if you drill into the neck at that point, you're weakening it, and then you're subjecting that very spot to the stresses of vibrato wankery. Be careful that you don't weaken it enough to produce a headstock collapse.

I'd suggest trying that trem enough to know if it does what you need, rather than purchasing blind.

Thanks man, that really helped Do you think it could work with just gluing the nut to the neck, or are those screws really needed? I wanted to avoid routing as much as possible, as this is point of the whole "project".
Quote by Mr RafaelD
Yes, I have already seen it, and is the nut glued or screwed to the neck?

I'm not sure. My guess would be glued, and the top half of the nut is obvious screwed to the bottom half. The tension of the strings will be enough to hold the nut down so I can't imagine the screws go through the bottom half, it would be a bit unnecessary.

Also, a suggestion on the brass/steel front - Remember that brass is soft, so if you go down this route then don't over-tighten the screws!

Edit: Also, I have made an aluminium nut before, and with the tools that I had it was basically just a lot of sanding. I set up a little jig so I was sanding faces at right angles to each other to get it nice and square and then I worked on the top curve. The nut slots filed out easily with ordinary nut slot files.
Last edited by whoomit at May 23, 2014,
Quote by Mr RafaelD
Thanks man, that really helped Do you think it could work with just gluing the nut to the neck, or are those screws really needed? I wanted to avoid routing as much as possible, as this is point of the whole "project".

Floyd Rose is trying to work up a locking behind-the-nut for his "won't modify the guitar in any way" product, and his solution replaces the truss rod cover. I think if you start really using the trem, a glued nut is just going to start moving and eventually pop out, and I think Floyd has been having problems getting the truss rod version to be reliable as well. So I'm not sure that avoiding routing (or at least screwing the sucker down) is the wise decision here.