I'm looking for a practice amp, I have two models in mind: the Marshall MG15CF and the Fender Frontman 10G. The first is $99 and the latter $59 on Amazon. I assume the Marshall is better, but better enough to spend the extra $30?

I'm obviously not looking for something high-end, just for a quality amp for room practicing. If you guys have other practice amp recommendations (under $100), please let me know.

Thanks!

-Luis
The Marshall has a bigger speaker, which will sound better in the end. But honestly, if you can find one with a 12" speaker, that would be best if you're going that cheap. No shame in looking used for something like that. Where are you located?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I live in Barcelona, Spain. The loudness isn't an issue for me really, I'm just starting out and I live in a place where I can't be too loud anyway. I plan to buy a bigger and better one eventually, not that I wouldn't buy a better one right now if it's within my budget, even if it's used.

So of those two, the Marshall is only better because of its bigger speaker?

Thanks for your reply.
Last edited by luis.antonio.58 at May 1, 2014,
Whatever local (or big chain) music stores are near you check their used sections. You're likely to get more bang for your buck there. Plus you can actually try them too. Also check whatever websites are used over there for selling used stuff (like Craigslist).
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I vote - neither?

Not to say that i have a whole ton of experience with this kind of thing but i am using a borrowed 35 watt solid state amp that is - on paper at least - better than either of those. Orange crush 35 for anyone who's interested. It's not all that awesome in my opinion. It can do cool stuff, but it seems difficult to find the cool tones.

I'm going to pass along the advice that i've been given: don't buy a cheap amp.

I am basically in the same situation as you and i think that i would most likely purchase a line6 pod or a zoom g3 effects pedal and listen through a pair of headphones. Either one can model a bunch of different amp sounds.
If i had to buy an amp i'd look for a fender mustang. You can get them used for about 100 bucks. There's also similar offerings from vox, peavey and roland. Google "best modeling amp" for more info.
Whatever local (or big chain) music stores are near you check their used sections. You're likely to get more bang for your buck there. Plus you can actually try them too. Also check whatever websites are used over there for selling used stuff (like Craigslist).

I actually broke my foot recently and I can't walk right now (reason why I finally have time to practice on my guitar), so I have to buy online. We do have sites like that though and I've been checking them out, but even the used ones are very expensive here, reason why I'm considering importing one from the U.S., even adding customs duties and shipping fees I'd pay less.

Marshall. Get the Marshall.

Maybe I will!

I vote - neither?

Not to say that i have a whole ton of experience with this kind of thing but i am using a borrowed 35 watt solid state amp that is - on paper at least - better than either of those. Orange crush 35 for anyone who's interested. It's not all that awesome in my opinion. It can do cool stuff, but it seems difficult to find the cool tones.

I'm going to pass along the advice that i've been given: don't buy a cheap amp.

I am basically in the same situation as you and i think that i would most likely purchase a line6 pod or a zoom g3 effects pedal and listen through a pair of headphones. Either one can model a bunch of different amp sounds.
If i had to buy an amp i'd look for a fender mustang. You can get them used for about 100 bucks. There's also similar offerings from vox, peavey and roland. Google "best modeling amp" for more info.

I'll do that. Thanks for your opinion.
Quote by paul.housley.7
I vote - neither?

+1

the vox mini3 shouldn't be that much more- i got mine new for ~£65, which is about $100 (though that was a pretty decent deal, but I'm just saying it's worth keeping your eyes out). It doesn't have tons of volume (though you said home practice only) but it has a wide range of classic amp-based tones and most of them sound pretty good. also has some effects in it and a (very basic) tuner etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheStig1214
The Marshall has a bigger speaker, which will sound better in the end. But honestly, if you can find one with a 12" speaker, that would be best if you're going that cheap. No shame in looking used for something like that. Where are you located?

*headscratch*

I'm curious why the push for a 12" speaker cone size?

I've been working with 8" woofers on KRK Rokit 8 powered monitors (about 90W each), and they're cranking out lower bass and more of it than any of the guitar amps with 5-15W and a 12" speaker. IMHO, those and a Pod have really worked out well as an apartment-size amp. Fact is, there's a 10" subwoofer (and a couple of 12's as well) that puts the whole setup into expensive car stereo territory in terms of bottom end boom.
Quote by dspellman
*headscratch*

I'm curious why the push for a 12" speaker cone size?

I've been working with 8" woofers on KRK Rokit 8 powered monitors (about 90W each), and they're cranking out lower bass and more of it than any of the guitar amps with 5-15W and a 12" speaker. IMHO, those and a Pod have really worked out well as an apartment-size amp. Fact is, there's a 10" subwoofer (and a couple of 12's as well) that puts the whole setup into expensive car stereo territory in terms of bottom end boom.

I just always though there was a reason 99% of guitar amps are 12"

8" and 10" speakers always sounded tinny and like a can of bees with distortion to me.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I just always though there was a reason 99% of guitar amps are 12"

8" and 10" speakers always sounded tinny and like a can of bees with distortion to me.

There IS a reason 99% of guitar amps are 12". It's because manufacturers get them cheap and because most guitarists don't know any better.

Bass players use 10" speakers all day long. It's not the size of the speaker cone that makes the difference, it's the design and how it's used. Take a closer look at recording monitors...
Quote by dspellman
There IS a reason 99% of guitar amps are 12". It's because manufacturers get them cheap and because most guitarists don't know any better.

Bass players use 10" speakers all day long. It's not the size of the speaker cone that makes the difference, it's the design and how it's used. Take a closer look at recording monitors...

I'm not saying they don't have bass (although when I play bass I prefer 15" to 10" haha) I just find 12" to be better suited for raw guitar sound. Just a preference.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by luis.antonio.58
I'm looking for a practice amp, I have two models in mind: the Marshall MG15CF and the Fender Frontman 10G. The first is $99 and the latter $59 on Amazon. I assume the Marshall is better, but better enough to spend the extra $30?

I'm obviously not looking for something high-end, just for a quality amp for room practicing. If you guys have other practice amp recommendations (under $100), please let me know.

Thanks!

-Luis

If you're looking for a quality amp, look elsewhere. They're both bad amps, they sound really awful.

Look for a Fender Mustang (as already suggested), a VOX Valvetronix or a Peavey Vypyr.
If you need to buy used to fit your budget, do it. Any of those 3 amps is infinitely better than the Marshall MG and Fender Frontman.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Thanks guys. I've decided to go with the Fender Mustang, I'll order it next Monday. Unfortunately I can't sample it live, but all the reviews and comments on the web about it are generally positive, I've also seen a few videos on YouTube and I'm very happy with its sound and features.
Quote by luis.antonio.58
Thanks guys. I've decided to go with the Fender Mustang, I'll order it next Monday. Unfortunately I can't sample it live, but all the reviews and comments on the web about it are generally positive, I've also seen a few videos on YouTube and I'm very happy with its sound and features.

That is a much better amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate