I'm planning on getting a LTD Viper-50 and installing a kahler (Saint Vitus style) and some pickups in it for a doom/stoner metal type sound. Anyone know any good pickups for a doomy sludgy type of sound.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
What amp are you running?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Matt Pike's Dirty Heshers from Lace spring to mind: http://www.lacemusic.com/heshers.php
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TheStig1214
What amp are you running?

This is important. However, running under the assumption that you have a suitable amp, I would probably suggest the Lace Lifers (Wino signature) or Dirty Heshers (Matt Pike signature). That seems like they'd be right up your alley.
My user title would explain my agreeance with the above. I also just picked up the Dissonant Aggressor set from Lace and those are nice. If you don't want a signature set the Nitro Hemis are also an option.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You could also check out the dimarzio d activator x's. from what ive heatd they are made to be for that djenty style
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Quote by TYSHADOWS
You could also check out the dimarzio d activator x's. from what ive heatd they are made to be for that djenty style

Sooooooo the exact opposite of doom/sludge/stoner......
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Sooooooo the exact opposite of doom/sludge/stoner......

Really? Thats what i normally think of when i hear the word djent Well wither way sorry id im completely off base but heres a guy demoing the xs, mesa red sounds pretty much like what the TS seems like hes after (i think once again sorry if im completely wrong, if so tell me and ill get lost)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahs7rFvmq3o
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Really? Thats what i normally think of when i hear the word djent Well wither way sorry id im completely off base but heres a guy demoing the xs, mesa red sounds pretty much like what the TS seems like hes after (i think once again sorry if im completely wrong, if so tell me and ill get lost)

Listen to this whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc

I really didn't mean to sound like a dick but the djent sound emphasizes the 1.4k frequency a lot, while stoner/sludge is much lower. And overall the sound is less metallic and more muddy. I'm a fan of djent and sludge, but they are completely different sounds.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
@TYSHADOWS Judging by that video, you are right. That pickup seems to do djent well. The issue is that djent is very different from what was asked for. Listen to what TheStig posted. Sleep is awesome.
Quote by TJHague
...Sleep is awesome.

All hail the mighty Sleep. I shall worship them with the sacred bud. (Not really. Stoner metal fan that's not a stoner here
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Stoner metal fan that's not a stoner here

Haha I know that feel.
Quote by TheStig1214

I really didn't mean to sound like a dick but the djent sound emphasizes the 1.4k frequency a lot, while stoner/sludge is much lower. And overall the sound is less metallic and more muddy. I'm a fan of djent and sludge, but they are completely different sounds.

sleep ****in yes mate got the vynl of that happy tokin
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Sorry for the mishap guys, im more of a thrash/metalcore/power/melodic death metal kinda guy myself so anything past drop c or b runs the same for me bass wise i see the difference though. Maybe the pups will work maybe not, either way i learned something
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Sorry for the mishap guys, im more of a thrash/metalcore/power/melodic death metal kinda guy myself so anything past drop c or b runs the same for me bass wise i see the difference though. Maybe the pups will work maybe not, either way i learned something

All good brah
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TJHague
Quote by TheStig1214
All hail the mighty Sleep. I shall worship them with the sacred bud. (Not really. Stoner metal fan that's not a stoner here

Haha I know that feel.

And a third non-stoner stoner metal fan here!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by EyeballPaul
I must be knocking on abit,lol,I've never heard of Sludge or Stoner metal.haha.

It's a subgenre of metal that has a very heavy, muddy sound and usually deals with drug oriented themes. But doesn't have to. Basically the way I see it is every stoner band heard the first Black Sabbath album and said "Yeah, let's do that. But heavier." Usual tunings are Drop C and C standard.

I prescribe the following:

Sky Valley by Kyuss
Sleep's Holy Mountain by Sleep
Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age
Leviathan by Mastodon
Black Masses by Electric Wizard
Murder the Mountains by Red Fang
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
It's a subgenre of metal that has a very heavy, muddy sound and usually deals with drug oriented themes. But doesn't have to. Basically the way I see it is every stoner band heard the first Black Sabbath album and said "Yeah, let's do that. But heavier." Usual tunings are Drop C and C standard.

I prescribe the following:

Sky Valley by Kyuss
Sleep's Holy Mountain by Sleep
Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age
Leviathan by Mastodon
Black Masses by Electric Wizard
Murder the Mountains by Red Fang

Thanks,I've heard QOTSA and Mastadon.I will check them out.
is it sensible putting an expensive kahler and expensive pickups into a beginner guitar? personally I'd say it makes more sense just getting a better guitar. normally buying a cheap guitar to mod is a hiding to nothing, you won't increase the value and you still have a cheap guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not really a fan of Djent or Periphery but Misha's home recording studio setup always gives me massive gear envy. (that was random) I think I'm gonna go with either the lifers or the Hammerclaws (Brent Hinds). But Lace's website says the Lifers are discontinued.

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
not really a fan of Djent or Periphery but Misha's home recording studio setup always gives me massive gear envy. (that was random) I think I'm gonna go with either the lifers or the Hammerclaws (Brent Hinds). But Lace's website says the Lifers are discontinued.

I just looked at the lifer specs holy shit they were high output. Yeah the Hammerclaws will do you good, they are designed to have a tiny bit of a compressed sound like EMGs though. idk if you want that but they should do you well either way. If you get them post pics!
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Dave_Mc
is it sensible putting an expensive kahler and expensive pickups into a beginner guitar? personally I'd say it makes more sense just getting a better guitar. normally buying a cheap guitar to mod is a hiding to nothing, you won't increase the value and you still have a cheap guitar.

Seconded. One other thing -- selecting pickups before you've got a decent guitar and an amp that will even reproduce what the pickups are putting out just doesn't make much sense to me, either.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH

Did you click the "Buy Now" button on the Lifer page? If so, it appears that that link is broken. They still have the Lifers in their store.

Lifer Set
Lifer Individual

The Hammerclaws seem like they would also be a good choice.
Quote by dspellman
Seconded. One other thing -- selecting pickups before you've got a decent guitar and an amp that will even reproduce what the pickups are putting out just doesn't make much sense to me, either.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheStig1214

same, I would be a straight edge stoner metal fan if I didn't drink.

Quote by dspellman

The main reason for the Viper choice was the finish. I might get a Gibson SGJ instead. As for Amps my 6505 has that covered.

Quote by TheStig1214

love this
banned