Dear UG,

I don't know what I should practice, scales, picking and other stuff. I play metal If that helps. please help me and tell me what I should practice.
Thanks
Sorry I haven't seen this before but here you go:

Songs. Practice should all start and end with real music. You don't necessarily need to stick with that all the time, you might want to run an exercise aimed at solving a problem you're having with a certain part of a song... but you should let the music you want to play direct your practice.

Never forget what this is all about.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^

In the last 5 years around 90% of my practice is songs. I do it because I enjoy it. You should always practice in a way that will keep you inspired and continue enjoying to play music.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sorry I haven't seen this before but here you go:

Songs. Practice should all start and end with real music. You don't necessarily need to stick with that all the time, you might want to run an exercise aimed at solving a problem you're having with a certain part of a song... but you should let the music you want to play direct your practice.

Never forget what this is all about.

This. I have centered my practice for years around songs. Solos and chord progressions have all the exercises and technique practice you'll ever need. Also, you're learning intuitively, meaning your brain is picking up what works and what doesn't. Centering your practice around scales and random exercises isn't teaching you musically. The only true exercises I do anymore are 1-2-3-4 chromatics just for warm-up.

The best reason of all to practice songs...IT'S WAY MORE FUN. Isn't that why we're doing this dance with the guitar?