So,I have a very lousy rig (Squier By Fender Bullet Strat,Marshall MG10CD,and a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal) and I just wanted to know is it possible to get a black metal sound from it. I've tried a lot of different settings but it just doesn't sound the way I want to.
far from ideal. you'd probably need a far better distortion pedal to get kinda what you want. if the strat is single coils only then you really aren't gonna get what you want.
A better amp would be your first good investment toward a better sound. Not a huge fan of black metal so I don't know what the standard equipment is.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Typically you need a harsh sounding guitar with higher output pickups and a high gain amp for that "black metal" sound. You can get an ok tone with your existing gear, because let's be honest - typical black metal guitar tones are pretty terrible.

I would set your bass to 3-4, your mids to 7-8, and your treble to 8-9. Gain should be around 5-7 on the distortion pedal. Use the bridge pickup. This won't make you sound like Immortal, it's more like a Burzum-esque tone. Immortal is one of the few black metal bands with good guitar tone, but his gear is pretty expensive (Abbath uses ESP custom guitars and Engl amps).
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Last edited by gorgthemeatpile at May 2, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo
far from ideal. you'd probably need a far better distortion pedal to get kinda what you want. if the strat is single coils only then you really aren't gonna get what you want.

I'd say he needs a far better amp, but yes.

@TS:
Your rig isn't going to get you that kind of sound, no. Your guitar and amp aren't ideal for it. (I wouldn't bother with trying to buy a better quality distortion pedal, since pedals will only do so much.)
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
Typically you need a harsh sounding guitar with higher output pickups and a high gain amp for that "black metal" sound. You can get an ok tone with your existing gear, because let's be honest - typical black metal guitar tones are pretty terrible.

I would set your bass to 3-4, your mids to 7-8, and your treble to 8-9. Gain should be around 5-7 on the distortion pedal. Use the bridge pickup. This won't make you sound like Immortal, it's more like a Burzum-esque tone. Immortal is one of the few black metal bands with good guitar tone, but his gear is pretty expensive (Abbath uses ESP custom guitars and Engl amps).

This. But along these lines, there's kind of two schools of thought on black metal tone:

You either have a super-harsh tone with lots of highs, very little bass, and STUPID amounts of gain,

or,

You can go for a thicker, meatier, yet still pretty high-gain tone (Immortal, Emperor's later albums, Dimmu Borgir, and some later black metal bands like Wodensthrone and Winterfylleth (love those guys' tones).

Either way, I think single-coils are not ideal for either option. You need a bridge humbucker.

I personally subcribe to the latter tonal style. I use a tone similar to The Black Dhalia Murder's tone, yet my playing/songwriting is definitely more of a black metal style. It still works/sounds great! But there's also nothing wrong with the old-school approach with it's extremely shitty tone/production. That style has been widely used to help generate the atmosphere common in BM.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by LocusMortis
So,I have a very lousy rig (Squier By Fender Bullet Strat,Marshall MG10CD,and a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal) and I just wanted to know is it possible to get a black metal sound from it. I've tried a lot of different settings but it just doesn't sound the way I want to.

Marshall MG series amps are junk for any style of music, you're going to want to ditch that. Also you are going to want a guitar with humbuckers in it, so you should get a different guitar. So you may want to make a new thread on your budget, style of music, ect.. on what gear you should get.

Read this post and make a new thread based on the answers of the questions:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Guys,thanks for all your help. I think I found the right tone. I first tried gorgthemeatpile's technique and it was kinda close to what I wanted but that wasn't completely how I wanted it to sound. Later I tried changing some stuff on the pedal and here are the settings I'm using now: Treble - 8,Gain - 10,Mid -5,Bass - 1. Thanks a lot everyone!