Here's my question. I currently own a VOX AC30 CC2 and a Randall 200RG G3 Plus. I use the Vox for cleans and classic rock tone and the Randall for my metal tone and that works just fine, but I often find myself wanting to play late at night and need something that's capable of good tube tone at lower volumes. I have done tons of research and I had decided on the VHT Special 6 Ultra, even though I was thinking it might not cut it for metal tones. Then I noticed the very versatile Carvin V3MC amp that is not that much more expensive. Also I've seen tons of videos that demonstrate the different tones of the amp, but I believe most are running at 50 watts which is not going to be suitable for me. Here's my questions. If I only use the 7 watt setting for the amp, am I still going to be able to get a nice mix of warm clean jazz tones, classic 70's rock tones and more of a metal high gain type tone? Also, does anyone that has heard/played/owned both amps have a preference between the VHT and the Carvin?

Thanks!
It's really tough to get a warm and full sound at low volumes no matter how low the wattage. The V3M does a decent job (I attribute this to EL84 tubes breaking up earlier than big bottles) but you are also battling the fact that you simply aren't moving a lot of air at low volumes, your speaker isn't getting the workout it would be getting at louder volumes, etc. out of the two the V3M is the more versatile, but I have heard awesome things about the VHT. If metal is really a priority I'd get the V3 simply for more gain and saturation. You also have more volume if you ever need it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
be cautious of the v3m definitely try before you buy. i had one and it was a fizzy muddy mess. id go with the vht
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
People have different ideas as to what constitutes "bedroom volume" for guitar amplifiers. Carvin's amps are very good, but they also tend to be freakishly loud. You might find that even on the 7-watt setting, the thing is louder than you had expected it to be.

Some people find the Carvin amps are a bit harsh, or as one commenter has said, "fizzy." A number of amplifier techs have told me that Carvin tube amps come from the factory with a bias that is definitely on the cold side. Changing it to a warmer bias can make a world of difference in the tone.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
i have owned 2 carvin products one i swear by and one i wont. the carvin legacy is one of the best and LOUDEST amps ive ever used but that v3m......uggghhhh.

now the positives about it. its one hell of a versitile amp. the clean channel is quite nice the midgain tones are pretty good but high gain...no. not the amp for any kind of metal. even 80's hair metal wont pass with it. which is a true bummer because i bought it due to how awesome the legacy was.
maybe mine was messed up internally from the factory. idk i find it hard to believe because carvin makes great products. ive rolled numerous tubes from 5751's to 12at7,12au7, and various brands of 12ax7's with no luck. tried numerous cabinet setups, mullard power tubes and set the bias hot. maybe its my ears but that amp just wouldnt please.

im not saying dont buy it im saying this is an amp that if you can try before you buy do so and spend some serious time doing it
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I remember when I had the big V3 I had to set the presence almost completely cut because of the fizz, but when I did that it tamed it. Maybe the V3M would benefit from that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.