Hello, I am new to this forum, and new to playing a guitar. I enjoy listening to Elvis, and would love to play some of his songs on a guitar. I have a few questions. Is it possible to teach my self how to play these songs instead of going for lessons ?

Also, what is the best kind of acoustic guitar to play Elvis songs on, such as: Are you lonesome tonight, love me tender, and blue christmas.

Thanks & best regards.
Well... I think any acoustic guitar will do, there is no point in buying a super expensive instrument when you only want to learn to cover one singer...
Quote by Tartaria
Well... I think any acoustic guitar will do, there is no point in buying a super expensive instrument when you only want to learn to cover one singer...

Thanks, like I said. I am new to this. Is it possible to learn these songs on my own ?
Do you have any musical experience?

But yeah you can learn them yourself. Justin Guitar is a pretty good free (he accepts donations, though, honour system) online site for learning guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sound doesn't much matter for a beginner, but if you want to look the part something big and fancy-looking would be the go. - Because you're more likely to pick it up and play it if you like the look. Something along these lines:

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/acoustic/sundance/sundance_his/TW40SDVS.html

But whatever you choose invest in a decent set up.
a lot of Elvis' music can be learned on youtube of course. i would highly recommend Dave MC's Justinguitar.com lessons to start off with. he has some excellent beginner lessons that will get you going on the basics that you will need to start learning. nothing beats a good teacher( and those can be difficult to find..lotsa teachers, few good ones).
Elvis was very fond of Gibson guitars. you don't need something that expensive just yet.
everyone here will agree that Yamaha's FG700S is a great low budget guitar to start out on.
the worst thing you can do starting out is to buy a cheap budget guitar that plays like shit. you'll end up giving up pretty quick that way. the first few months are going to be hard enoough as it is if you go without a teacher. you dont need to make it any harder.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Well Dominick, I have to say that's a pretty darned strange thread title you made there.
After all, what the heck else are you going to do with a guitar but play it?

In any case, I think you should try a find someone knowledgeable to go with you to check out instruments. The sales person may not always be giving you the straight truth about the good, bad, and the ugly. Plus, you don't know enough to survive the mission on your own.

Or, you could take our standard advice, and grab something from the Yamaha FG-7xx series of guitars. These always seem to please first timer owners, QA is excellent, and even the cheapest model has a solid spruce top. So, for a quic, no hassle, decent, fairly priced introduction to the world of acoustic guitar, a Yamaha FG-200 @ aboot $200.00 bucks would fill the bill nicely.

However, Elvis Presley was known as a singer , and not a guitarist. With that being said, the rhythm parts to his songs, were fairly representative of the time period, and so not terribly distinct on their own.

In any event, I'd say work on your baritone, both during, and in addition too, your guitar lessons.

As you probably know, Elvis wasn't a song writer of any consequence, but he was one of the best interpreters of his time. (Some would say of all time).

Many artists of that time period, (and to this day), played the Gibson J-200, the so called, "king of the flat tops". I know the Everly Brothers used them, and many other artists as well.

However, any Gibson jumbo is a major purchase, starting at about $1200.00 USD.

If you'd like to channel those artists and their "main axe", you might look at the Epiphone EJ-200CE @ about $300.00

In any case, I leave you with this video of Kathy Baillie channeling her inner Elvis, with a song Presley had a huge hit with, "A Fool Such as I".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ud5k94yS5g

Great cheekbones on that one , ay?
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies, I'm glad I have some info to start my journey. It will all be worth it. I'm 17 years old, my budget for a guitar is in the $200-$300 dollar range. I'm going to start of using my grandfather acoustic guitar and learn from that before I invest in a good one.
Hound Dog is a pretty easy song to play. It does have one barre chord. Barres seem impossible at first but, with practice, they come easily.

Check this guitar out maybe. It's the Epiphone version of the Gibson that was apparently Elvis' main stage guitar. It's $400 new but they've got a used one right around $300 I believe. I don't think his had that cutaway though, but cutaways are nice.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-200ce-acoustic-electric-guitar?pfm=sp

Good luck.
Quote by dyingturtle
Hound Dog is a pretty easy song to play. It does have one barre chord. Barres seem impossible at first but, with practice, they come easily.

Check this guitar out maybe. It's the Epiphone version of the Gibson that was apparently Elvis' main stage guitar. It's $400 new but they've got a used one right around $300 I believe. I don't think his had that cutaway though, but cutaways are nice.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-200ce-acoustic-electric-guitar?pfm=sp

Good luck.
Yeah, I quoted that model in my post above, but didn't link it. Got the new purchase price wrong though...

Epiphone is supposed to release it around the middle of June in a left hand model. I'm hoping that comes to pass. I think Gibson squelched dealers taking pre-orders on the lefty model. I was "on the list", as it were. But instead of "back ordered", the dealers now are listing it as, "unavailable".

Anyway, the black model is as cool as the natural finish model, arguably a little cooler.

(I'm apparently subject to mood swings, first I like the almost white natural maple finish, and the next minute, it's the shiny jet black one).
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 3, 2014,
Quote by Dominick122
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies, I'm glad I have some info to start my journey. It will all be worth it. I'm 17 years old, my budget for a guitar is in the $200-$300 dollar range. I'm going to start of using my grandfather acoustic guitar and learn from that before I invest in a good one.

Yeah if you already have a guitar (and it's halfway decent) then learn a bit on that first. it's an awful lot easier to pick a guitar to buy when you can already play a little. and youll also have more idea of what you like, as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dominick122

Using your grandfather's guitar is a great idea, nothing like a bit of mojo to keep you interested. But take it to a tech and have the set up checked, if your grandfather doesn't mind. I know I'm repeating myself, but IMO that is the most important thing for a beginner.
Quote by Tony Done
Using your grandfather's guitar is a great idea, nothing like a bit of mojo to keep you interested. But take it to a tech and have the set up checked, if your grandfather doesn't mind. I know I'm repeating myself, but IMO that is the most important thing for a beginner.

this ^^^^ you won't regret it.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by Tony Done
Dude, that's why we're mostly all here, to state and restate the, (what seems to us to be), the patently obvious....
Quote by Tony Done
Can you kindly direct me to a good platform for my next "just a fancy lump of wood" diatribe?
Go for it! I'm all I, IV, V, I ears....
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 3, 2014,
Elvis played all sorts of guitars so you could get just about anything. I would suggest a dread in mahogany, sapelle, or some sort of fruit wood like cherry. Also get a spruce top.
Not taking any online orders.
^ Dude, haven't seen you in ages. Glad you're still around
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks, I've been in and out of hospital and have been spending long periods of time in a catatonic state. I've also had internal organs shutting down for no reason and nobody has been able to figure out why. Hopefully I'll be able to get back hear more often as my condition improves.
Not taking any online orders.
Jeez, that's awful, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're on the mend now.

EDIT: If you feel up to it, we'd love to have you in the who to listen to (chat) thread in G G&A No worries if you don't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 4, 2014,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?