I think I've gotten used to just playing fast over 12 bar blues that whenever I try to play slow and soulful it feels kind of boring for me. Maybe it's because I mostly just listen to SRV, Roy Buchanan, and Hendrix?

I seem to only get into the music my blues playing when is sort of fast. Wh
Are you playing on your own? This may be why. It may also be your age, or just the length of time you've been playing your instrument.

From my experience I used to be in the same boat as you, but I hadn't matured as a guitarist then. Even these days I couldn't do it on my own, but with an ensemble where I'm playing off of other musicians all in sync with each other, it very much is fun and you'd feel stupid to play fast, because chances are it doesn't fit.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Well I'm 16, been playing for a little over a year, and have never been in a band. Although I'd like to join one soon, its kind of difficult to find people for this specific genre.

Playing really fast all the time can get pretty boring, which is why I'd like to be able to play as slower like Freddie or BB king and get as much emotion out of it. Don't know if there is some trick to it.
Quote by Chris88492
Well I'm 16, been playing for a little over a year, and have never been in a band. Although I'd like to join one soon, its kind of difficult to find people for this specific genre.

Playing really fast all the time can get pretty boring, which is why I'd like to be able to play as slower like Freddie or BB king and get as much emotion out of it. Don't know if there is some trick to it.

Have you tried playing to any blues backing tracks? Youtube should have a bunch.
i would say, learn slow blues solos by the peeps you like, BB. etc.
I actually don't know what I would do without backing tracks haha.

Just any question to all of you, what do you guys normally think about when you're playing the blues? Anything in particular, Like a sadness or problem in your life? Sounds like it would help but I don't know.

I'm really digging Freddie King at the moment. Favorite song as of now is "Have you ever loved a woman". Sounds nice.
Quote by Chris88492
I actually don't know what I would do without backing tracks haha.

Just any question to all of you, what do you guys normally think about when you're playing the blues? Anything in particular, Like a sadness or problem in your life? Sounds like it would help but I don't know.

I'm really digging Freddie King at the moment. Favorite song as of now is "Have you ever loved a woman". Sounds nice.

Well, it does help if I'm in a melancholy mood. But I've been playing for 11 years, so it's much easier for me to fall into "slow blues" than it used to be.
Quote by Chris88492
Dude, I actually am haha.

Whoa a young Black person that likes the blues more than little wang? You just blew my mind!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, it does help if I'm in a melancholy mood.

Isn't that an unfair advantage you have over other people?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sing, hum or whistle your solos for a while. If they sound good coming from your mouth the next trick is making them come from your fingers.

I suspect you are playing by rote and have not constructed a solo before.
Yes, I mainly improvise AngryHatter. I don't like constructing solos because I find that kind of boring and lifeless. But I do jam and practice a lot. Coming up with new licks that sound good and then incorporating them into my improvision.

Isn't that what makes a guitarist a bluesman? Being able to shred of the top of one's head over a 12 bar?
Ok man, Next time you got some time and got a nice backing track or better yet record to play to, just dont play shit until you hear something that you would want to play, if you literally hear nothing for 5 minutes, go do something else and dont play. Eventually you WILL hear something, you can hum or sing it first or whatever, and then but only then play it on the guitar. When you hear something, more will follow, and then you will make a connection. As for situations outside of practice. If you got a gig or something, Sing what you play while youre playing it. This will help you immensely from making boring or finger automated Choices.
Just listen. Listen to slow blues. There are very few "How do I write in the style of?" questions that can't be solved with overwhelming input. Music is a language, and the only way to learn a language to native-level fluency is through a massive amount of native-level input. Just listen to slow blues, seek out a new piece in the style to hear every day. Hum along, imitate the solos. Learn them on guitar if you want to. Just keep getting input and eventually you will output with ease. Don't give up on it.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
lol. Maybe...

Was only joking. You don't seem melancholy to me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
learn blues licks by ear, write them all down in a book of musical ideas. look what other guitarists are doing and steal their vocabulary (ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8lNeEaLHo)
blues isn't about shredding your pentatonic boxes, but telling a story (often achieved through call and response ideas)
Last edited by SuperKid at May 4, 2014,
Does anyone else play guitar in their head sometimes when in the car or at school/work? Its kind of fun haha.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Was only joking. You don't seem melancholy to me

Good to know. I'd rather not be pictured as some emo, wannabe anti-hero.
Quote by Chris88492
Dude, I actually am haha.

....I am smiling sooo much right now!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
At the heart of the blues is the same premise upon which Buddhism is built:

Life is suffering.

While Buddhism is about ending the suffering, blues is an acceptance of it. Somehow that seems ironic.
Si
Quote by Chris88492
I think I've gotten used to just playing fast over 12 bar blues that whenever I try to play slow and soulful it feels kind of boring for me. Maybe it's because I mostly just listen to SRV, Roy Buchanan, and Hendrix?

Playing slow has nothing to do with emotion. you either feel it or you don't. play what makes you feel something.
Quote by Chris88492

You need to study some players that play slower and have great phrasing, otherwise you'll be perpetually shredding. Learn some 60"s Albert King and BB King. Albert was one of SRV's main influences - his entire bending approach really comes from there.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Good to know. I'd rather not be pictured as some emo, wannabe anti-hero.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
anybody can have the blues, its just a matter of recognizing it and accepting it.and once youve really felt it, its always gonna be there.
Quote by Chris88492
Yes, I mainly improvise AngryHatter. I don't like constructing solos because I find that kind of boring and lifeless. But I do jam and practice a lot. Coming up with new licks that sound good and then incorporating them into my improvision.

Isn't that what makes a guitarist a bluesman? Being able to shred of the top of one's head over a 12 bar?

Thinking one up on the fly is preferred to having a repertoire of licks that you assemble.
My solos will sound similar since it is me playing but never the same twice.

Improvising by definition is making it up as you go.
Assembling is not the same as building from scratch.

We can follow directions - that is assembling
We can write directions - that is improvising
I think there's a difference between assembling an assortment of licks and incorporating some licks into your improvisation; between relying on a library of existing ideas and using an existing idea as a springboard to new ideas.

==
Quote by Ignore
anybody can have the blues, its just a matter of recognizing it and accepting it.and once youve really felt it, its always gonna be there.
I don't know that anybody can have the blues. It's like the difference between sympathy and empathy. I said before that the underlying premise of the blues is that "life is suffering". It's not a matter of "I'm going through a rough patch" or "I'm so sad right now".

Maybe I'm being some kind of reverse elitist but I don't think anyone can have the blues. I do think anyone can sympathize and many can empathize to varying degrees. You can use that sympathy or that empathy to temporarily tap into the spirit of the blues and play the blues convincingly. But it's not the same as really having the blues.

I do agree though, that once you've really felt it, it's always gonna be there.
Si
I would love to join in on the aesthetic underpinning here, but that would risk walls of text which I already have a tendency to build too readily; I'll give a practical idea and then be out of your way:

Slow down the chord changes and backing track. Slow them right on down, then play.

Best of luck.
You might could use some double modals.
Quote by 20Tigers
At the heart of the blues is the same premise upon which Buddhism is built:

Life is suffering.

While Buddhism is about ending the suffering, blues is an acceptance of it. Somehow that seems ironic.

I really like this quote.
When I'm improvising I basically kind of disassemble licks and pair them with other parts of different licks. I do this without any thought and like someone said above I don't really play the same lick twice. Think of licks as sentences. I use the words in some and mix them with others and essential make endless combinations of licks. If that makes sense.

To get the maximum emotion for me, I just listen to myself play and play whatever sounds come up in my head.
Let me clearify my opinion. When i say anybody can have it, i'm not saying anybody WILL have it.
Its a matter of being honest to yourself and your own feelings, looking life in the eye dead on, so to speak. Recognizing things for what they actually are, as you said; accepting them. You'd be surprised how many people are afraid to do that and go out of their way not to.
It doesnt matter if youre blind and poor, your wife cheated on you with a dozen guys and you go crazy or you feel that nobody cares about you. People get the blues in all sorts of different ways, but they all come to conclusions that shares a bond, which longs for expression. Its a bigger thing than what a person believes in or what their mindset is on things or life to start off with. For a lot of people its buried deep inside of you and grows at the same time as it's being compressed, it causes rage, depression misery. You can do things that make you dont even recognize yourself. When you cant take it anymore and you dont know what to do, let it out, weep with pride, be alone if you want to be alone, feel what you have to feel.

Heres bloomfield Emptying his soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHXVfqpm0I
Last edited by Ignore at May 6, 2014,
With backing tracks the midi stuff can totally remove your inspiration. I have put a lot of time and effort into making these real band style backing tracks, hope you all like em.

Jam Discs

The best backing tracks available!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/b...cks/id564777496
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/m...cks/id682153150
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/8...cks/id849744310