Title. The progression goes like this:
(play them in barre)

B7m - D7 - F#7m - E7

well, basically, it's this song:

(This)

the notes seem to be from the B minor / D major scale, but it just doesn't sound right.
maybe because of the 7s?

so what scale(s) do you guys think would fit in here for improv?
Thanks!

EDIT: I meant D major, not C major. fixed it
Last edited by Bluebit at May 2, 2014,
try arpeggiating the chords along with progression, that way you will get the feel... then try improvising
F*ck Chuck Norris ... SpongeBob grills under water
Hey, the progression is actually in A (or F#m) so you should use that scale.

ii7|IV7|vi7|V7

Diatonically, the D7 should be a Dmaj7, so over D7 be wary of the C instead of the C# (you'd normally have in the A scale).

This also seems to be the progression for Get Lucky.
Last edited by billytalent77 at May 2, 2014,
Quote by billytalent77
Hey, the progression is actually in A (or F#m) so you should use that scale.

ii7|IV7|vi7|V7

There's no damn way it's in the key of Amajor, when A isn't even in the progression. It is in F#minor, however. (Just because Amajor happens to be the relative major doesn't mean you can call this progression as being in the key of Amajor. Amajor most certainly is NOT the same as F#minor.) Anyway, that means the progression is actually like so:

iv7 - VI7 - i7 - VII7

As you said, D7 isn't diatonic, but that works out ok. It's fairly common to use a 7th chord instead of a maj7 chord.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 3, 2014,
Thanks for the response guys!
it does sound well in F#m, so I'll go try that!

also, arpeggiating the chords does sound like a good idea, except I'm sorta lazy to do it (maybe I'll try it one time, thanks for the tip!)

Quote by billytalent77

This also seems to be the progression for Get Lucky.

^ Yup. I think someone made a remix with both this song and Get Lucky. but this song was made years before Daft Punk did.

Again, thanks guys!