I've only had a little Fender G-Dec i think it's called and a line 6 thing I bought off a friend for a quarter. They both sound horrible. They cant be more than 15w. I play a fairly wide range of music. Some of the lightest would be like Eric Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, stuff like that. Some of the heavier stuff would consist of All that Remains, Slipknot, and those kind of things. So I honestly have no idea what I want for an amp. Not the slightest clue. Can you help start me off?
Quote by Curtis321
I've only had a little Fender G-Dec i think it's called and a line 6 thing I bought off a friend for a quarter. They both sound horrible. They cant be more than 15w. I play a fairly wide range of music. Some of the lightest would be like Eric Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, stuff like that. Some of the heavier stuff would consist of All that Remains, Slipknot, and those kind of things. So I honestly have no idea what I want for an amp. Not the slightest clue. Can you help start me off?

this isn't really enough info. the big 2nd question is: what is your budget?

also, do you plain on playing out, or is this mainly for personal/home use?

do you want access to a number of effects?

you could very well just want a multi-effects unit.

Quote by KillerPhail
you want a tube amp

while most of the better amps out there happen to be a 'tube amp' i don't quite see this as being either a conclusive or accurate answer, i also find it to be a very vague answer considering the astonishing variety of tube amps out there
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If all you're doing is playing in your bedroom for your personal enjoyment, a good portable digital modeler and some decent headphones is all you need- see things like the Line6 POD, the Korg PX Pandoras, and offerings from Tascam and Boss. They're only slightly bigger than a large smartphone.

If you want to actually own an amp, I'd go with a low wattage combo amp of some kind. I prefer tubes- they generally do better with pedals than solid state (SS) amps, but there are good SS ones out there.

My personal ring? Well I have several portable digital modelers from Tascam and Korg, and I have a Fender HRD. That's a 40w 1x12 combo amp- it has 40e of power and a single 12" speaker. It's a great amp: enough power to play a pro gig in a wide variety of genres- my music teacher uses his all over Texas.

It does NOT do metal well, though. And honestly, considering I use it at home almost exclusively, it has @20w more power than I really need. Its volume almost never gets turned up past 3 or 4.

So, while it is a great workhorse amp, it is arguably more than I need. I'd probably be just as happy with a less powerful amp.

What is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hm..well my friend has this big Marshall cabinet and a Peavey 5150 or something. It sounds great but that is way out of my budget. I'm in college, my car is a pile of shit, and I have a lot of football stuff to keep up with. Its mostly a hobby but he's pushing me into doing more with it. So..lets say for starters my budget is around 600. No more. Something that could do a max "gig" of like 250. Lol effect I have no clue yet.
These two small tube combo amps might work of you. Both should handle harder rock pretty well. You'd probably be wanting some pedals, though, since neither has any modeling.

https://reverb.com/item/88830-blackstar-venue-series-ht-studio-20-20w-tube-guitar-combo-amp

https://reverb.com/item/81664-floor-model-orange-tiny-terror-combo-tt15c12
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

i personally would advise against the blackstar. technically hybrid... etc. OP you can read about it.

Jet city could have some offerings, i think there is a higher gain combo around $500

peavey 6505+ combos are $600 new, if you liked that you should like it.

to be more versatile look into a used JSX XXX or ultra + combo. all preform great and could be cheaper.

krank rev1+ are nice, they have smaller sized models as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I bow to your expertise- I know you know amps better than I do- and second the suggestion of the Jet City.

Just looking at retailer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/tube-combo-guitar-amplifiers/jet-city-amplification--new?isSuggestion=true

...we can see there's options at your budget ceiling and at about half your budget. The smaller one is still 20w or so, and would give you enough left over to buy some decent pedals to put in front.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 3, 2014,