I hope this is the right forum but I think it is.

I've been playing guitar for a good ten years now and I'm at that point that every player hits at one moment or another: the plateau. I don't feel like I'm advancing.
Here's the thing: I really am a rhythm player as opposed to a lead player. At least, up 'til now, that's what I've always been.
Now, my fellow guitarists, I want your opinion. What would you do in my position? Would you learn more chords (eg jazz chords, more inversions and such) or would you take the step to soloing?
It might be worth it to note that I don't have time for a teacher currently, so I'd have to learn it on my own.
Call me Kerouac
You should stop viewing guitarists as two groups (Lead and Rhythm players) and just see yourself as a guitarist.

As for overcoming the plateau, i would highly recommend something that has helped me EVERYTIME i hit a plateau. And that is doing something along the lines of the 21 day challenge that is a sticky in this forum, or if you search for "give it 100 guitar" on youtube you get a similar thing.

Basically, whenever i hit a plateau, i figure out what problem i have (and not something vague like "i have problems playing solos", but rather what in the solos i am learning is giving me a hard time, like string crossing or something) and then i begin studying pieces that uses that. And practice it for 21 or 100 days (depending on which of those challenges i'm doing) perfectly, i am not allowed to make mistakes. This has always helped me push over a plateau, perfect practice + isolating the problem + patience = profit.

Hope that was helpful.

Best Regards,
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Learn more theory. Learn how to build major scales, and how to build chords from those scales. Not only will your rhythm palette broaden, but you'll also have knowledge on scales.
Learn what you don't know, not what you already know.

E.g. If you have a guilty-pleasure genre that you have loved but never dove into it, I would dive right into it. Start playing songs in that style that you like. Might open up your playing to a whole new world.