Hi, I recently made my own pedalboard but I'm having some issues with power. I currently have 5 pedals in the chain which are the EVH Crybaby, Big Muff Pi, DS-2, Fab Chorus and an Analog Delay. The Crybaby, DS-2 and FAB are all running on individual wall adaptors and the other 2 are on batteries. Problem is, I want a Snark Stage Tuner, Pulsar and a Small Stone when I have the money but I haven't got enough adaptors so I need to get some new Power. Because I'm a cheapskate, there's no way I'm saving to get a Voodoo Labs or anything like that. I'm currently shelling out for a new tube amp and I have £80 left over but I'd rather not spend all of it on power as I want the tuner and some patch cables since I've run out of them as well.

Please don't tell me to get a PP+ because I'm not going to.

I want some advice as to what to get for what I have.
I've been looking at these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOYO-JP02-10-Isolated-Output-Guitar-Effect-Pedals-Power-Supply-For-BOSS-DIGITECH-/280963191931?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item416ab6147b

I know that they aren't isolated but I think it'll do the job for me as I'm not currently gigging and don't play at high volumes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mooer-MMP-Micro-Power-8-Output-9-Volt-DC-Pedal-Power-Supply-8-power-leads-/380823646374?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item58aadbb0a6

I'd rather not go for this though as you only get 8 slots and it's more than I want to spend.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/dr-tone-psu10-power-supply

Very cheap and looks great... but I've heard that they have a maximum of 80mA for each slot and the Muff takes 100mA.

As a last resort... I could get

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Dunlop-MXR-DC-Brick-Effects-Pedal-Power-Supply-M237-DCB10-2-FREE-PATCH-CABLE-/360875883886?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5405e0fd6e

But again, non-isolated and more than I want to spend.

So yeah, I know about what to look out for with polarity, current and isolation.

And lastly, I'm from the UK and I would rather buy used but there doesn't seem to even be any.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Get a one spot power supply
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a one spot power supply

I forgot to mention that I really don't want one. The adaptor won't fit under my pedalboard anyway.

From what I can tell, a Voodoo Labs PP or T-Rex Fuel Tank is definitely the best option for your needs. You should just keep running your pedals from wall warts and batteries while you save up for a good quality power supply. I wouldn't get any of those you listed.

It seems inevitable that you need one, either now or later. Why waste money on something that is not the best tool for the job, and that you'll eventually replace anyway?

Just save that money, wait a bit longer, and then get a power supply that will last you a long while.

Also, priorities. If you need a power supply right now, delay buying other pedals until you have a good power supply. (Which you will need to power the new pedals anyway.)
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 3, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
From what I can tell, a Voodoo Labs PP or T-Rex Fuel Tank is definitely the best option for your needs. You should just keep running your pedals from wall warts and batteries while you save up for a good quality power supply. I wouldn't get any of those you listed.

It seems inevitable that you need one, either now or later. Why waste money on something that is not the best tool for the job, and that you'll eventually replace anyway?

Just save that money, wait a bit longer, and then get a power supply that will last you a long while.

Also, priorities. If you need a power supply right now, delay buying other pedals until you have a good power supply. (Which you will need to power the new pedals anyway.)

maybe you don't understand.

he needs one right now but doesn't want to pay the money for it. being reasonable and saving for a quality unit is not the advice he's looking for.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious

he needs one right now but doesn't want to pay the money for it. being reasonable and saving for a quality unit is not the advice he's looking for.

Thank You.

I'm very happy to shell out for a PP+ or whatever when I'm gigging or needing a better solution but right now, I need something that means I can actually use my pedalboard.

i strongly advise a 1 spot. i have a BBE Supa Charger that has been great, and that gets gigged wit on my giging board.

i have a 1 spot at my other house, everything works fine. the only downfall is that it doesn't work with reverse polarity pedals (IIRC big muff, my proctavia for sure). so one pedal gets power from a battery or wall wart.

it may not be the prettiest thing, but it will do the job. you can move cables around all over and you have a messy pedal board, who cares. then get a iso box when you want to spend the money on it and use it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I currently use two of the Joyos to power my board, and haven't experienced any complications. Compared to other power supplies, there's no major discrepancy in noise generation, and the tonal quality is solid. I do plan to upgrade to PP+ myself at some point as the high frequencies are retained a little better, but these have done me well for a couple of loud gigs and recording sessions.
Last edited by juckfush at May 4, 2014,
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Quote by gumbilicious

Thank You.

I think you missed the sarcasm there, TS.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I think you missed the sarcasm there, TS.

Oh, I didn't see that

Guess what.... Not everyone can splash out hundreds of pounds on f***ing power supplies for no reason other than practicing at home. I don't even want a Voodoo Labs. I want more pedals so I need to get a different power option- god people on here can be so ignorant...

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Oh, I didn't see that

Guess what.... Not everyone can splash out hundreds of pounds on f***ing power supplies for no reason other than practicing at home. I don't even want a Voodoo Labs. I want more pedals so I need to get a different power option- god people on here can be so ignorant...

So get a One Spot adapter or use batteries

It is that easy and cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Oh, I didn't see that

I remember being 15.

Either get a 1-spot or save up for a proper power supply. There's no in-between, well, that's worth your money anyway.

If you came here for sympathy, you came to the wrong place. Stop being a little crybaby.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
I remember being 15.

Either get a 1-spot or save up for a proper power supply. There's no in-between, well, that's worth your money anyway.

If you came here for sympathy, you came to the wrong place. Stop being a little crybaby.

Didn't come here for sympathy mate, for advice.

'Either get a 1-spot or save up for a proper power supply. There's no in-between, well, that's worth your money anyway.'

This is good advice that could have been phrased much better without you being a dick. There wasn't any need for the rudeness that the guy posted in the first place- I asked for specific advice and yet again, just got people being either unhelpful or rude with the exception of 1 or 2 posters. I refer to when I asked for amp advice for Indie playing and got recommended a Jet City. I think I'll make my own decisions from now on.

Good, you seem to know it all anyway.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Good, you seem to know it all anyway.

Clearly. Is it now illegal for people to ask questions? Or to get proper, reasonable answers? Funny thing is, I haven't actually done anything wrong.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Oh, I didn't see that

Yeah, the people you're calling ignorants right now are infinitely more knowledgeable than you, and are genuinely trying to help you.

Other than the DIY route, there aren't many good alternatives to the Voodoo Labs, T-Rex, etc. offerings, which have proven their worth and seem to stand the test of time.

If you're building a big pedalboard, the power supply needs you'll be looking at are probably more expensive than a PP or a Fuel Tank.

A cheap way out is the One-Spot, but you've already said you don't want that.
You also don't want to plan ahead, wait and save money to invest on quality gear.

I don't know what's the point in coming here for advice, really, since you clearly aren't willing to listen to people who've been in your place, are more experienced than you, and are offering good advice.

Simply get one of those power supplies you were looking at and be done with it. Just remember what people told you here when you discover that that power supply doesn't suit your needs anymore and you have to shell out more money for a better power supply.

EDIT:
Quote by Pacifica Ocean
Didn't come here for sympathy mate, for advice.

Doesn't look like it.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean

This is good advice that could have been phrased much better without you being a dick. There wasn't any need for the rudeness that the guy posted in the first place- I asked for specific advice and yet again, just got people being either unhelpful or rude with the exception of 1 or 2 posters.

You were the first person here to act in dickish and/or in a rude way -- I refer you to post #11, one of your own posts.

And people are being helpful. Just because you don't realise it, it doesn't make it any less true. Maybe you'll understand that someday.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I refer to when I asked for amp advice for Indie playing and got recommended a Jet City.

A Jet City can perfectly be used for indie. Especially the one that has a clean channel similar to a Soldano (I can't remember the model number right now).

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
I think I'll make my own decisions from now on.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 4, 2014,
thomann has a cheap isolated one, the harley benton power plant junior. it only powers 5 pedals, though, and comes with an EU plug so you'd need to buy either an earthed adaptor (£5) or rewire it to a UK plug. also if you're only buying it they'll charge 10 euros postage.

musicstore/dv247 has a cheap copy of the voodoo labs for ~£35. I haven't tried it (and musicstore isn't my favourite shop), plus it's out of stock at dv247 currently (i'd suggest buying from them instead of musicstore; they're owned by musicstore but at least they might actually answer emails and if anything goes wrong it's easier and cheaper to deal with inside the UK).

but yeah. couple of options there.

FWIW I don't think batteries are the answer. If any of those pedals have high current draws batteries could actually end up costing you more than a cheap adaptor, lol, even in the short term.

also, if you're cheap (like me ) and want a phaser and trem ehx does the worm (which has both, plus autowah and vibrato)... i've been looking at that one myself. Never tried it, though, so I dunno how close it sounds to the small stone and pulsar. if you need both phaser and trem at once, though, it won't work.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
How about the GigRig Generator?

it's just a glorified daisy chain, isn't it?

Quote by Eppicurt
I remember being 15.

There kinda is... two of them, actually. As good as the voodoo labs? I doubt it. Good enough for home use to tide him over until he is gigging and willing to fork out for the voodoo labs? Sure (in the case of the thomann one, anyway).

I remember being 20...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 4, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
There kinda is... two of them, actually. As good as the voodoo labs? I doubt it. Good enough for home use to tide him over until he is gigging and willing to fork out for the voodoo labs? Sure (in the case of the thomann one, anyway).

I remember being 20...

Wasn't the thomann one just another cheap daisy chain in a box? Or was there another I'm not thinking of? I just think it's silly to fork out a fair amount for a T-Rex or something around the same price point rather than buying a cheaper one-spot to tide them over because "No, I don't want one".

Hey, age is just an irrelevant number once you stop being a teen...

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Wasn't the thomann one just another cheap daisy chain in a box? Or was there another I'm not thinking of? I just think it's silly to fork out a fair amount for a T-Rex or something around the same price point rather than buying a cheaper one-spot to tide them over because "No, I don't want one".

...Uh , I said that I didn't want one because it won't fit under my pedalboard didn't I? I have a power strip under there but it will only fit the square type plugs.

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
...Uh , I said that I didn't want one because it won't fit under my pedalboard didn't I? I have a power strip under there but it will only fit the square type plugs.

Don't connect the 1 SPOT to the power strip under the pedalboard, connect it directly to the wall socket. That way you can even make the pedalboard lighter by removing the power strip altogether.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Eppicurt
(a) Wasn't the thomann one just another cheap daisy chain in a box? Or was there another I'm not thinking of? I just think it's silly to fork out a fair amount for a T-Rex or something around the same price point rather than buying a cheaper one-spot to tide them over because "No, I don't want one".

(b) Hey, age is just an irrelevant number once you stop being a teen...

(a) yeah the bigger thomann/harley benton one isn't isolated, but the jr one is, far as i'm aware (at least, it's advertised as being isolated and also I think someone reversed it and it was isolated ok). I think it's a copy of the t-rex fuel tank jr (which is also isolated).

(b) sweet, that means i'm 20 again

Quote by Pacifica Ocean

i think i've read that the fame one i mentioned is too big to fit, then.

not sure about the harley benton one (i just keep mine on the floor ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) yeah the bigger thomann/harley benton one isn't isolated, but the jr one is, far as i'm aware (at least, it's advertised as being isolated and also I think someone reversed it and it was isolated ok). I think it's a copy of the t-rex fuel tank jr (which is also isolated).

i think i've read that the fame one i mentioned is too big to fit, then.

not sure about the harley benton one (i just keep mine on the floor ).

Hey,

Thanks all the helpful people. I've ordered the HB Jr. and a daisy chain so it should power all those pedals that I want and have. I also bought a UK adaptor which looks like it fits underneath as I do plan to use that boadr for gigging at some point.

If you want to minimise noise I think you need an earthed adaptor. It'll still work without one (and might be fine noisewise), but yeah. I haven't noticed tons of noise with my unearthed ones, but I think I'm going to get earthed ones at some point, some of my amps were pretty noisy with unearthed adaptors.

It also comes with a daisy chain IIRC.

EDIT: what's your analog delay? some of those are actually analogue-voiced digital, and might take a fair bit of current. the HB has 120mA per socket, which is fine for most pedals, but some of the more current hungry digital ones might be pushing it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 5, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc

Fair enough, I wasn't aware I there was a Jr. version. I wonder if it's not a bad idea to make an FAQ/Resource part about power supplies, the different ones and which ones are actually isolated/good/etc. Unless there is one now and I haven't checked.

You're only as young as you feel, Dave.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Dave_Mc
If you want to minimise noise I think you need an earthed adaptor. It'll still work without one (and might be fine noisewise), but yeah. I haven't noticed tons of noise with my unearthed ones, but I think I'm going to get earthed ones at some point, some of my amps were pretty noisy with unearthed adaptors.

It also comes with a daisy chain IIRC.

EDIT: what's your analog delay? some of those are actually analogue-voiced digital, and might take a fair bit of current. the HB has 120mA per socket, which is fine for most pedals, but some of the more current hungry digital ones might be pushing it.

It's a weird Dr Tone cheap thing but I like it so I kept it. I think it is analog as it does all the stupids but I'll find it's mA now...

EDIT: 18mA

Quote by Eppicurt

No, age is an irrelevant number once you hit whatever age you're currently at. Everyone younger than you is immature. You haven't figured that out yet?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
No, age is an irrelevant number once you hit whatever age you're currently at. Everyone younger than you is immature. You haven't figured that out yet?

Unfortunately not.

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
(a) Fair enough, I wasn't aware I there was a Jr. version. I wonder if it's not a bad idea to make an FAQ/Resource part about power supplies, the different ones and which ones are actually isolated/good/etc. Unless there is one now and I haven't checked.

(b) You're only as young as you feel, Dave.

(a) yeah, but those take a lot of work, and I've only tried one or two I think the stinkfoot site has a big list, but it's really just a big list, no reviews or anything like that

(b) great, i'm about 97 then

Quote by Pacifica Ocean
It's a weird Dr Tone cheap thing but I like it so I kept it. I think it is analog as it does all the stupids but I'll find it's mA now...

EDIT: 18mA

yeah that'll be fine

Quote by tubetime86

hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?