Hey guys,

Today I experienced a problem with my 6505+ 112 (turned into a head, FYI). I was playing on the lead channel and the volume began to intermittently fade/and/or turn off completely for sometimes up to 10 seconds. When it fades, it goes from pretty loud down to fairly quiet, and sometimes just OFF. Then it will come back on and work for awhile. (I stopped playing pretty soon after this problem started, however.)

Just to rule out as much as possible, I tried disconnecting the effects loop so it's just the guitar into a TS-9 directly into the amp's input. The problem persists. I guess I could still try it with just the raw guitar into the amp, but I doubt the TS-9 is causing anything.

I just replaced my power tubes about 2 months ago (JJ 6L6s) -- so I don't think it's likely that they've gone bad, but I suppose it's a possibility. They've sounded great until now (in fact they still sound great), and they are both still lit up when the amp is on. I have two older ones that still work, so I suppose that's my next step -- but they're past their prime.

Could it be the phase inverter tube? I've had a JJ 12AT7 there for at least 2 years. Please help, (**cough*Cathbard**cough) -- I don't want to damage anything troubleshooting it.

If this makes any difference, last night (when my wife wasn't home ), I had the post gain up to 5 for a few minutes. I know it goes to 10, but 5 is beyond ridiculous; I just wanted to see how it would sound. Could I have blown anything up doing that?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
start swapping your spares in your amp and see what happens
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
First thing, plug your guitar directly into the effects in of your loop. If you get good sound, the problem is the preamp. Report back.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
First thing, plug your guitar directly into the effects in of your loop. If you get good sound, the problem is the preamp. Report back.

Tried that; problem persists. Does that mean my preamp is fine? I'll try my other power tubes later and see if that does anything. I hope so. Either way, it looks like I'm going to be spending some money.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Sounds like a dodgy power tube could be the culprit.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Try the PI or power tubes. Could be either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Try the PI or power tubes. Could be either.

+3.1415 many people don't think about the PI, it has a job and really think it should be replaced with power tubes (throw it in another socket in the preamp or have it as an extra. if its an 12AT7 throw it in V1, you may like it on a 6505

edit: i forgot to also say its the power tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, that's just dandy.

I chased my tail on this all morning. I put my old JJ 6L6s in and played around for awhile. It sounded dull (because I used them for 2 years), but worked. Then, I experienced the same issue; volume drop/silence. Then I moved my JJ 5751 from V2 into the PI spot and replaced V2 with a 12ax7. All was good.

So I thought, maybe it was the PI tube all along and tried putting one of the newer 6L6s in. It sounded better, then immediately began with the fading/silence thing again. So out came that one (and at least I know that one is bad now). Then I put the other one in its place. It sounded fine (great, in fact). No fading/silence. Then I went to turn it up to have a listen at higher volume. After playing for a few minutes I noticed that the tone was not as thick and powerful as it normally is at that volume. I looked at the tube I'd just put in and it wasn't lit up at all. I was just running one tube, and an old one at that. So that tube is fried too.

I suppose I've used them long enough that the store I bought them from (TubeDepot) won't replace them now. I've probably had them for 2-3 months, though I play pretty loud fairly often. Shit, when I first bought them, one was bad out of the box and I had to send it in for a replacement. Are JJs going downhill or should I buy them from somewhere else? I don't want to spend $45 every 3 months....
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You get a 90 day warranty from tubedepot, use it if you can. I had a new JJecc83 that the glass on the tube actually separated at the base.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate