Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2014 Gibson SG Standard, but I hate the 120th 12th fret inlay. Is there anyway of having the inlay removed and replaced with a 'proper' inlay by by somebody that can? It would have to be a perfect job that must look like a factory original !!

Could it be done?
How much would it cost?
Who could do it in the UK?

Many thanks,
Rob.
Last edited by sunbeam.ti at May 3, 2014,
You know you could just buy a 2013...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Hi,

Sorry, can't do that as I REALLY like the metal fret overlaying the neck binding as found on the 2014 models. The 2013 models have the last bit of the fret made in the same material as the binding and I think the fret looks narrow. As a beginner player, I like the 'wider' metal frets as found on 2014.

Do you think Gibson would make one for me with out the 120, I'd pay extra !!
It's probably cheaper to buy a different SG and have the neck regretted as you like it as opposed to trying to remove and replace the inlay you don't like on the 2014.

MUCH cheaper.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Hi,

Sorry, can't do that as I REALLY like the metal fret overlaying the neck binding as found on the 2014 models. The 2013 models have the last bit of the fret made in the same material as the binding and I think the fret looks narrow. As a beginner player, I like the 'wider' metal frets as found on 2014.

Yeah. Eight thousand dollars.

Get an old one and have it refretted. Or get a '61 RI if they changed the frets on those too? This is the first I'm hearing about the fret change at Gibson.
Would it really cost so much money to fit an inlay they have been fitting for decades? I know 8 grand was a joke, but surly it wouldn't cost them any more to make it as they always have ??
It wasn't a joke. Ordering a custom guitar from Gibson really is extremely expensive.

It's not about using the old inlay. It's that it would have to be a custom order, and Gibson is a massive company. This would be like calling up Nike and asking if they could make you some '04 Jordans. If you knew someone at the company, or you worked at a decently sized guitar shop, they could do a special run and it wouldn't cost any more (or just a bit more, depends on spec). But one random person ordering one? They're not interested, they don't want to do that for everyone, so they make it crazy expensive.

Seriously, give them a call. They'll tell you the same thing, just buy an old one or a different model. Gibson is way too large to do custom orders for anyone who asks.
In that case, I will have to buy it and get a good UK based 'Luthier' to cut the 120 inlay out and fit a fresh one in. I'm sure it will cost less than other options. If I were brave enough, I could even do it myself !!! I'm a cabinet maker and full time pro model maker !

Do you know where I can buy a 12th fret Gibson inlay to match the rest?
I've seen some people get inlay stickers online too and just use them to cover up the originals. Anything is cheaper than getting Gibson to do it, though!
Check out the 2012 or 2013 SG '61 Re-issue. They have dropped in price (at least in Canada) and cost almost the same as a 2014 standard. It may have all the features you want without the 120 inlay. There should still be some available in the UK.
Do you think Gibson would sell me a 15th fret inlay from the 2014 range?
Surly that's just a case of picking one up and putting it in a bubble mailer?
They must sell spares?
I'd carve the fret board and fit it in myself. Seems mad to have to do that to a brand new £1200 guitar, but if needs must. I really want the 2014 SG Standard as I like the neck feel and frets. Other SG's may not be the same. I know I like that one and I don't want to keep wracking up the miles going to shops up and down the UK trying before I buy. I'll just buy this one and modify.
I suppose you could wait until 2015 models are out.

I love the 120th Anniversary emblem.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Other SG's may not be the same. I know I like that one and I don't want to keep wracking up the miles going to shops up and down the UK trying before I buy. I'll just buy this one and modify.

Did you know there are hundreds of different models of Gibson SGs? If this whole plan of buying the latest one and replacing the inlay is a joke then congratulations because I haven't heard anything that ridiculous today.
You don't have to buy the first guitar you lay your hands on, trust me you will find something that is easier to modify.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Please can you show me the other SG standards in this years range, I'd be very happy to look at them. As far as I can tell, there are 3 models for 2014, the Standard being the one I like the feel of the most (thinner neck and longer frets) I don't want to buy second hand for many reasons.

That 12th marker is like buying a brand new car with a huge scratch on the roof !
As a beginner player you should leave well enough alone with the guitar, and instead spend your time and money on practice and lessons.
In your case, it's more like buying a new Mercedes, then carving into the dashboard, just because you don't like the logo.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
OK,

It's my hobby, my life and my money.
I'll go and crawl back under my stone and do whatever makes me feel happy.
Maybe that should have been my approach from the start.

thanks for your help.
Rob.
The answer's simple.
Wait until 2015.
In a few months you'll have no-nib frets, no-2014 inlays and exactly what you want.

Better yet, buy almost any other brand of guitar and you'll have all of this immediately at less expense, with a better finish and probably with better fret size, fret material, fretboard material, fretboard radius, weight, woods, better quality finish and a non-neck-heavy guitar to boot.

You CAN order a semi-custom guitar from Gibson. These generally take 5-7 months (wait...that puts us into the 2015 model introductions!), but they'll do you up one without the 120th inlay. My adventure? I didn't like the Gibson Axcess (about three grand) as is. Tittypink plastics and binding, mediocre top, two finish choices. Custom shop to the rescue -- I could have an Axcess Custom (black, white multilayer binding, ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays rather than that plastic crap Gibson normally uses, etc.) for $4K. Or I could have a 4A top on an Axcess Custom for $5760. In the end, some sanity crept into the process and I decided that $1760 was stupid money for a 4A top. I bought the black custom and used some of that $1760 to buy a whole custom guitar of another brand. Still have both, but as it turned out, the other brand guitar has actually become the number one with the Gibson as a backup. Who knew?

You can have a 2013 refretted without the nibs. It's done all the time with Gibsons. I have to admit, nibs aren't my favorite thing in the world and they've never made much sense to me, but for the most part they haven't gotten in my way, either, and I've never launched a refret based solely on their existence.

Lots of options and, as you say, it's your money and your preference. But you DID walk in here asking one of those "can I put a Chevy Nova front end on my new Mercedes?" questions, so you will get opinions. And then you followed it up with, "I suppose I can do the mechanical work myself; I DO weld up patio furniture, after all...". You should expect some of those "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?" retorts.
Last edited by dspellman at May 4, 2014,
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Hi,

Could you specify the change? I can't see it or find any info on it.

The overlaying binding is the best feature Gibson has on their more expensive models as it means that there will be no sharp fret ends. If they have stopped doing that you are looking at a serious downgrade.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Could you specify the change? I can't see it or find any info on it.

The overlaying binding is the best feature Gibson has on their more expensive models as it means that there will be no sharp fret ends. If they have stopped doing that you are looking at a serious downgrade.

Yeah, Gibson has eliminated overlay binding on most guitars that had it. It's about time.
It's one of those "features" that caused customer complaints.

I've never considered the "nibs" a feature, honestly. If you've had enough Gibsons, you'll notice that it narrows the string spacing slightly; a guitar with a 1 11/16ths" nut width WITH nibs has about the same string spacing as a 1 5/8ths" nut width without the nibs. Folks have always complained about the E string disappearing into the space between the fret end and the nib (yeah, those spaces appear...). Gibson never cut back its fret tang ends, so while you're not feeling sharp fret ends when the fretboards shrink, you ARE finding binding cracks precisely at the point where the fret end meets the binding. So you feel those cracks instead.

A well-done fret installation with the tangs undercut and a well-done fret end gives you a wider string spacing, reduced chance of a "sharp" fret end, reduced chance of binding cracks and it eliminates the possibility of having your high E disappear into the crack between the fret and the binding overlap.

Now they've gotta eliminate that crap nitrocellulose finish.
I have 2 Gibsons, a Les Paul Standard Faded from 2008 and a Les Paul Deluxe from 2012.

Really like how the nibs feels. Have too many guitars with sharp fret ends and in a climate like Sweden's... Let's just say that -25 C in the winters and +25 C in the summers with the varying humidity that comes with heating is tough on you. Don't get me started as to what it does to guitars. Humidifying is simply not an option due to risking mold, and having case humidifiers for 30 guitars is more than I have time for bothering with.

Agree on the finish though. Checking spontaneously, too soft so you get dents in it by just touching... "Let's the wood breathe" Yeah right.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
The inlay is ridiculous.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Find a tech in your area and ask. I bet its not very expensive to change out one inlay. My guy does custom inlay work but I've never priced it.
I have two options here.

Buy the 2014 model and make a custom inlay myself. I've given it some thought and it may work out quite nice. I believe I have the skill needed, given my background.

Wait until 2015 and hope they keep all the features of the 2014 and don't put a 121'st inlay in !!!!!!

Keeping the inlay is simply not an option for me.
Third option, already mentioned, is get an older SG and have it refretted to your taste.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I tried another SG and it was not as nice as the Standard because it had a slightly thicker neck. I can't remember what it was called, but it cost the same as the Standard in this shop, but didn't have the mini tune. Do all standards have the same thin 'fast play' neck (I think it's called)?
Quote by sunbeam.ti
Hi,

It seems a bit odd to me that a beginning player should be worrying about something like this. Amps, pickups, set up, lessons and the like are the usual items of interest.
Quote by sunbeam.ti
I tried another SG and it was not as nice as the Standard because it had a slightly thicker neck. I can't remember what it was called, but it cost the same as the Standard in this shop, but didn't have the mini tune. Do all standards have the same thin 'fast play' neck (I think it's called)?

As someone else noted, there's LOTS of different SG configurations, including different necks. Look/ask around.

However, I just thought of this: talk to the guys at US Masters about a Hornet. They'll be able to tell you how the necks & frets compare to Gibson SGs

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 4, 2014,