Hey there guys , I've been looking for some information on the technical side when it comes to guitar amps and bass amps. I am unsure S to what wattage ratings mean ad things like mono or stereo etc and I was just wondering if somebody could give me a run down on all this stuff so that I can choose the right amplification setup and not wreck anything or have compatibility issues as well as in the long run get a better understanding of how it all works so I can do different things to achieve different sounds etc.

Cheers guys, even links to articles on the internet would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of really good info here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232 It will give you a run down on all the technical aspects and terminology of equipment.

To help us decide what sort of amp to look for, answer these questions and we'll be able to help you out.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Wattage is the power an amp can/will produce. This is also used to tell how much power a speaker can handle. You never want the amp to be rated at a higher wattage than the speaker/speaker cab can handle. Watts are rated in RMS (which is a consistent amount) and Peak (which is the most power able to be delivered or received in a short span)

Mono means single channel/signal, stereo is 2 channels/signal running at the same time.

There is more to it, but this is a very basic and simplistic way to help you understand a bit better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power_amplifier
Bro do you even google? (**** you linkerman )

In short, mono means one channel, stereo means two channels.
A channel is a discrete signal path, so for each channel you get a different signal you can treat independently from the others.

The power ratings in amps are the power they can output at a certain distortion level, so if you don't know said distortion level, the power rating is pretty useless.
Power ratings in guitar amps are pretty useless in general other than made up.

Plus, in guitar amps the different speakers and the different ways of rating amps make the ratings even more useless.

Also the only thing you need to know if you're concerned about the "compatibility" of stuff with other stuff is impedance in this field.
Wikipedia still is your friend.
Again, the simple explanation is that if you have a tube power amp you have to plug an Xohm output into an Xohm input or you will **** shit up, if you have a solid state power amp you have to plug an Xohm input into a Yohm output with Y >= X or you will **** shit up, and if you don't have a power amp you have to plug an Xohm input into a Yohm output with Y >= X or you will get a pretty bad sounding signal.

Though nothing of this stuff will give you any help in choosing the right guitar amplifier for your needs.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Eppicurt
A lot of really good info here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232 It will give you a run down on all the technical aspects and terminology of equipment.

To help us decide what sort of amp to look for, answer these questions and we'll be able to help you out.

cheers for the link dude
heres those questions answered

Budget- up to 5 grand

Genres- hardcore,thrash,metal,sludge,doom

New and Used, I dont mind

Home and Gig

Current City- Perth WA Australia

Current gear- Epiphone Les Paul studio and a fender mustang 15 w
Is the budget including the funds for a new guitar?

'cause I'd get a standard gibson les paul + a rockerverb II or a dual dark + a mesa rectifier oversized 4x12.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Is the budget including the funds for a new guitar?

'cause I'd get a standard gibson les paul + a rockerverb II or a dual dark + a mesa rectifier oversized 4x12.

The budget is just purely for amplification, but I will take guitar suggestions on board
How loud do you need to go? 120db, 125db, 130db? Do you need a guitar amp at all or would a digi modeler better suit your needs?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
How loud do you need to go? 120db, 125db, 130db? Do you need a guitar amp at all or would a digi modeler better suit your needs?

Nah needs to be an amp, I'm looking to eventually use it for jamming, I wouldn't know db quantity
120 db= Typical rock concert volume. A 30w tube amp with decent 1x12 cab will get you there.

125 db= Threshold of pain. A 50w tube amp with 4x12 will get you there.

130 db= Boeing 747 takeoff loud. A 100w tube amp and full stack will get you there. No extra charge for tinnitus.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Phil Starr
I've written a column for UG on this, Hope you find it useful.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html

Well done Phil. Applying a little physics to the question is always a good idea. A recommended read.