Hello there,
To start things off, I have been playing guitar for 5 1/2 years now, but I have been playing instruments for over ten. I was self-taught for all of them except a year for percussion. But back to guitar. I have been uneased about my overall progress this past year, and it has been compounded by the fact that my blues trio broke up, and I'm playing almost no guitar in my other projects now. I write all of my compositions on guitar, and I don't want to lose that ability because I won't be playing it much till whenever, excluding noodling and occasional jams. So I have decided to start taking lessons.

I would like some input on a few things. See, when I first took percussive lessons, I had been playing for two years. I was okay and could play along to most rock and alt. But when my instructor asked me to show him what I knew, I froze. I literally didn't know what to do. So I played a shitty solo. Guy thought I was talking outta my ass, and essentially started from scratch. It was aggrivating. So I don't want to make the same (COSTLY) mistake with guitar. So what should I show?

I know all majors minors and 7ths everywhere on the board, I can solo in all scales maj and min, I can pick up songs quickly, etc. I know it is hard to gauge where and what without listening. I have a souncloud with the songs Gots To Get, and Like Lovers do as the most recent, but they were first take mess arounds. I will have newer songs later this month. Soundcloud.com/BlueJaysRobins

So any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I dont know why you feel like you need lessons! lol You know everything you need to know to become as good as you want to become at guitar. I would take a step back and learn some advanced songs that you like. Maybe go into some neo classical metal or what ever genre you like. Listen to some advanced famous guitarist and check out their styles and learn from them. OR MAYBE YOU should give guitar lessons to newbies! Bunch of online guitar lessons as well. Good luck with it.
Quote by mabbamam
I dont know why you feel like you need lessons! lol You know everything you need to know to become as good as you want to become at guitar. I would take a step back and learn some advanced songs that you like. Maybe go into some neo classical metal or what ever genre you like. Listen to some advanced famous guitarist and check out their styles and learn from them. OR MAYBE YOU should give guitar lessons to newbies! Bunch of online guitar lessons as well. Good luck with it.

I agree with this. You're skills include some of the top things that normal players hate to learn. I wouldn't mind taking lessons from YOU.

I think you're just too pessimistic due to the past experience with your percussive lessons, and you can't let that linger into your guitar playing.

I really don't think lessons would benefit you that much, 5 1/2 years of experience on the guitar and the fact you learned the important stuff (What a teacher would most likely teach you anyways) already. I think you've just gotta trust your skill and keep at it!
Wow. Did not expect that. I am humbled greatly, and appreciative of your comments, but I would have no clue where to start for giving lessons. But thank you. Perhaps this is a moment where I'm just in my own head.
When a teacher asks to see what you know...

A) Why freeze? What is there to be afraid of? Start playing a scale, or a riff you know well and build upon that. Play a song you know.

B) They ask to assess your abilities. Can you sight read, can you play a complete song, solo, comping etc.

If you began with the percussion lessons so poorly, didn't it become apparent soon afterwards that you could indeed play and had just been suffering from nerves?
If not, either the teacher was poor or you were not as good as you thought.

My teacher did the same thing and yes, it put me on the spot but then he started playing some chords and asked me to play over it. He was good enough to find another way to asses my chops.
There was some friction to the mentor. He's a great guy but he was very specific about how he taught and how I should have learned. But this was back when I was a kid with no stage experience. I played along to the radio. Now I understand your points. I guess I don't want any confusion. I don't want to play Couldn't Stand The Weather or an original for the instructor to be like..."Okay. You got it all down. Heres a scale..." or "Nice. Now here's an appreggio" that I just won't ever use. Ya know? I want practicality and effeicentcy. Not a lot of flash just to know it.
I hate teachers like that. I always think teachers like that aren't actually that good themselves and aren't comfortable enough with the material to teach it in different ways.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What you can play when it matters IS your ability level. It's easy to learn and practice things casually, but playing music on demand is when you find out what you can actually do.

And the point of specific lessons is bigger than a scale or arpeggio. Those pieces of information fit into a much bigger picture that really will improve your musicianship all around. Patience is an asset to a musician, so don't get hung up on the particulars of individual lessons. Getting hung up and frustrated is kinda the point sometimes, because that's how you get better at things.
Last edited by cdgraves at May 5, 2014,
^ agreed to a certain extent, but I'm not sure that's what he's asking here. the instructor asked him to show what he knew, and that kind of being put on the spot question can throw anyone, regardless of the subject in question. It's almost a trick question, designed to throw you (they ask it a lot in interviews, I believe). In most situations when you're playing live, for example, you have a set repertoire, someone from the audience doesn't stand up and shout at you, "alright hotshot, show us what you've got!"

I mean I always hate when people put me on the spot and ask me what bands I like. I can never think of any. Or at least any I'm happy to admit to liking... That doesn't mean I don't know any bands...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ agreed to a certain extent, but I'm not sure that's what he's asking here. the instructor asked him to show what he knew, and that kind of being put on the spot question can throw anyone, regardless of the subject in question. It's almost a trick question, designed to throw you (they ask it a lot in interviews, I believe). In most situations when you're playing live, for example, you have a set repertoire, someone from the audience doesn't stand up and shout at you, "alright hotshot, show us what you've got!"

I mean I always hate when people put me on the spot and ask me what bands I like. I can never think of any. Or at least any I'm happy to admit to liking... That doesn't mean I don't know any bands...

Same here. On the topic of playing, I'd rather play in front of a crowd at a show over those times when people know you play guitar and tell you to play something.
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?