I've read that a bass guitar through a guitar amp can damage the amps speaker, would the same apply to a guitar tuned an octave down? i.e. Through a Whammy DT or POG2 etc. I have a VOX AC15C1 if that makes any difference to the answer of this question. Many thanks.
I dont think you have anything to worry about. I use a bass through a guitar amp and have never had problems. I wouldnt recommend cranking it (a bass that is, I think an octave pedal is harmless to crank) but it'll be fine.

Source: I asked the same sorta question here...and my own experience.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
No problem whatsoever, with a bass or a guitar or any other instrument with p/ups.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
No problem whatsoever, with a bass or a guitar or any other instrument with p/ups.

I know it would work but would it not damage the amp? I'm seeing numerous people online say it would damage the amp and I don't know what to believe.
The consensus seems to be that a bass through a guitar speaker (note that the amp doesn't matter, it's the speaker you worry about) can cause damage. Given that it seems that an octave could potentially damage a speaker as well... But I think for all practical purposes there's no reason to worry. Don't smack the crap out of a low open E on the lowest octave with the amp cranked, but aside from that I'm sure you're fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It isn't the frequency of the note that will damage the speaker, it's transient/attack of it.

So octave down guitar will be fine. Slap-style on a P-Bass probably not so much.
Quote by TestElet
I know it would work but would it not damage the amp? I'm seeing numerous people online say it would damage the amp and I don't know what to believe.
Quote by Spambot_2
No damage whatsoever, with a bass or a guitar or any other instrument with p/ups.
Alright, fixed my message.
Quote by pinheadslts75
It isn't the frequency of the note that will damage the speaker, it's transient/attack of it.

So octave down guitar will be fine. Slap-style on a P-Bass probably not so much.
If you have a decent speaker rated at Xw rms through which you play an amp rated at Xw rms @ relatively low distortion, you'll not break anything.

So since guitar amps power ratings are made up, if you have an Xw amp and you wanna slap a bass through it, get a speaker rated at double the power just to be sure.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Alright, fixed my message.
If you have a decent speaker rated at Xw rms through which you play an amp rated at Xw rms @ relatively low distortion, you'll not break anything.

So since guitar amps power ratings are made up, if you have an Xw amp and you wanna slap a bass through it, get a speaker rated at double the power just to be sure.

I'm sorry but I'm not entirely sure that I understand, if I play my guitar through a Whammy DT set an octave down into my VOX AC15C1 will it be harmful?
Quote by TestElet
I'm sorry but I'm not entirely sure that I understand, if I play my guitar through a Whammy DT set an octave down into my VOX AC15C1 will it be harmful?

No.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Nope.
With your setup you couldn't **** stuff up even slapping a bass, so no worries about the guitar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by TestElet

You can blow the speaker, yes.

Here are the physics: in order to produce the same volume at an octave down, a speaker needs to move four times the air. That requires power.

The issue isn't the amount of power going into the speaker (power ratings on speakers are indicators of the amount of heat the speaker coil can safely dissipate without deforming) when you're talking bass frequencies, however, but more one of cone displacement.

Guitar speakers are generally designed for very modest cone displacement -- they don't need much for good volume at the frequencies they normally see. Bass speakers are designed for greater displacement. If you push a guitar speaker beyond its displacement limits, it can be damaged. It doesn't take sustained power to do that, but a transient can be sufficient to take it out.

This is especially true of open-back combos, where there's no damping factor on the speakers other than the magnet structure.
Quote by dspellman
You can blow the speaker, yes.

Here are the physics: in order to produce the same volume at an octave down, a speaker needs to move four times the air. That requires power.
I don't think you have enough power there - 15w amp and 25w speaker.
Even having half made up ratings, I don't think there's a power amp powerful enough to put up enough power to **** the cone suspensions.
Quote by dspellman
The issue isn't the amount of power going into the speaker (power ratings on speakers are indicators of the amount of heat the speaker coil can safely dissipate without deforming) when you're talking bass frequencies, however, but more one of cone displacement.
I respectfully disagree.
The guitar speakers I've seen have hella though suspensions and are made to handle very consistent transients.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola

(Not for an argument but a respectable debate)

Recently I started using a mfx and powered speaker for bass, but I used a guitar amp for months and didn't have any problems. I only switched cause it sounded better. Granted I'm just screwing around at home and my biggest amp is only 20w. But so is op (I think)
Thats where I (flexibly) stand on the topic.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
At room volumes - probably not. At full volume after certain pertain of prolonged use, most likely yes. I for one used a Fender Princeton 112 solid state to run my bass while poor and it did respectably for about 6 months, no discernible damage.
That's good anecdotal evidence, but not something I'd want to have anyone depend on.

The good news is that running your bass through a guitar speaker usually doesn't produce much in the way of fundamental bass. That's going to apply to electronically generated bass (octaver, etc.) as well as that from a bass guitar. Most guitar speakers can't really reproduce a low E fundamental (82 Hz) on a standard guitar anyway.
Quote by dspellman
Most guitar speakers can't really reproduce a low E fundamental (82 Hz) on a standard guitar anyway.

Really?

Spec sheets seem to disagree.

I'm sure you have anecdotal evidence, but it's not something I'd want to have anyone depend on...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I greatly appreciate the replies but I'm not going to lie, I don't know much about the technical aspect of things so I don't entirely understand everything being said.

But judging from the responses here and the divided opinion, I assume the answer to my question is... it's not entirely known and as a result of which it's possible?
Quote by TestElet
I greatly appreciate the replies but I'm not going to lie, I don't know much about the technical aspect of things so I don't entirely understand everything being said.

But judging from the responses here and the divided opinion, I assume the answer to my question is... it's not entirely known and as a result of which it's possible?

No.

Just play the damn thing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
No.

Just play the damn thing.
Yeah, I mean, play the damn thing, nothing bad will happen.

We're having mixed opinion on what would happen in more extreme cases, but we've all already agreed that you'll not **** anything up in your situation.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola