Page 1 of 2
So a huge festival is coming up and my favorite band is headlining and I've come to the conclusion that I want to sneak my way back stage or wait by the band's tour bus to heckle my favorite guitarist to hang out and have a beer or something.

I've heard some great stories about people hanging out with their idols at a show or on the tour bus.

The coolest story I've heard so far was from a good friend (who's just a big old metalhead, and one of the nicest people I have ever met) I worked with a few years ago who said one time back in the day he and a group of his friends went to a big show (Ozzy was headlining and there was some other big bands but I can't remember who he said), but 1 of his friends didn't have a ticket. When they got to the venue, the 1 guy without a ticket had to wait outside the entire show. However, when the show was over they all met back up and it turned out the guy ended up meeting Ozzy and he told Ozzy about the ticketless-situation. Ozzy invited him on his tour bus and he drank with Ozzy and a few other famous rockers, and ended up getting some cool merch. Bet he didn't regret not getting a ticket.

But anyways, for any of you guys who have had a sweet encounter with your favorite musician(s), what was the story?
Last edited by Hardlycore at May 5, 2014,
Quote by KingChris90
I want to have a beer with Joe Bonamassa.

he recently performed around here
ayy lmao
Quote by KingChris90

Haha it'd be really cool right? I just wanna hang out with a chill, down to earth musician who I've idolized for years. Because they are normal people, just incredibly talented and have been around the world.
Quote by angusfan16
Show em your tits

I dont have tits, but i could show them my helicopter dick?
if they're actually really famous, you're not gonna meet them unless you pay for a meet and greet, which is total bullshit.

the less famous musicians often interact with their fans through social media. i'm facebook friends with a few of my favorite musicians who are lesser known. some of them have met fans for beers when they're in the area
I'd get drunk with Steve Vai. Joe Bonamassa is awesome 'n all but he seems to be kind of a square(I couldn't think of a better word).
why would anyone want to drink with steve vai? the entire time you'd just have to listen as he talked about himself, which is usually only worth it if the other person touches your wiener afterwards
Quote by progdude93
why would anyone want to drink with steve vai? the entire time you'd just have to listen as he talked about himself, which is usually only worth it if the other person touches your wiener afterwards

I dont want Steve Vai to touch my wiener. My dick would dissapear in his enourmous hands.
Quote by KingChris90

I wonder if his beer is as bland and stale as his music?

But TS, this is simple:

1. Dress up as hot girl.
2. Ask musician to buy you a beer.
3. Blow him in the port-o-potty.
4. Wake up the next day realizing it was just some dude who slipped some GHB into your water before all of this began.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at May 4, 2014,
Quote by KingChris90
I dont want Steve Vai to touch my wiener. My dick would dissapear in his enourmous hands.

yeah, i don't want a weird half man, half falcon creature touching my pee pee. which is why i'm saying it wouldn't be worth listening to steve vai talk about himself for 3 hours nonstop
Quote by snipelfritz
I wonder if his beer is as bland and stale as his music?

But TS, this is simple:

1. Dress up as hot girl.
4. Wake up the next day realizing it was just some dude who slipped some GHB into your water before all of this began.

Im sorry he isnt as flash as your idol Boy George.
Quote by progdude93
if they're actually really famous, you're not gonna meet them unless you pay for a meet and greet, which is total bullshit.

the less famous musicians often interact with their fans through social media. i'm facebook friends with a few of my favorite musicians who are lesser known. some of them have met fans for beers when they're in the area

I absolutely hear you on that one, but that's sort of why I mentioned sneaking back stage. Sometimes you have to break the rules to have a little fun.

The unmentioned band/band members I wanna meet were asked in an interview about the craziest things fans have done to meet them, and then ended with saying "If you just wait out outside the tour bus for a while we can hang out" or something very similar. They are really down to earth people, but the fame part is a obviously a factor on the fan relations aspect.
Quote by snipelfritz
But TS, this is simple:

1. Dress up as hot girl.

Dude, I'm just trying to get to step 2. I think I could pull of being a hot girl.
Quote by progdude93

HEY HEY HEY you're making him out to be pretentious when he's really one of the most modest guitarists I can think of. Plus, he'd have some great stories and I like listening to what he says.
Quote by Dimarzio45
HEY HEY HEY you're making him out to be pretentious when he's really one of the most modest guitarists I can think of. Plus, he'd have some great stories and I like listening to what he says.

I don't think he'd be all that bad to have a beer or two with. Sure he's a little weird, but hell, what musician isn't?
Exactly. You're right about the tour bus thing too. When I went to Vai's show last year, my friend got to meet the drummer and shot the shit with him for a little while. So yeah, it can happen.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Exactly. You're right about the tour bus thing too. When I went to Vai's show last year, my friend got to meet the drummer and shot the shit with him for a little while. So yeah, it can happen.

That's rad, did he just wait outside the bus after the show or something?
Quote by KingChris90

E-mail his tour manager or something, that's how someone my dad knows got a VIP ticket for his show. Backstage access, guitar signing and everything. The dude had a limited edition Bonamassa Les Paul with him, which apparently helped.
Quote by Jyrgen
E-mail his tour manager or something, that's how someone my dad knows got a VIP ticket for his show. Backstage access, guitar signing and everything. The dude had a limited edition Bonamassa Les Paul with him, which apparently helped.

By "got a VIP ticket" do you mean he paid a couple hundred bucks, or was it 100% free?

Seems too good to be true.
Quote by Hardlycore
That's rad, did he just wait outside the bus after the show or something?

Nah it was actually before the show. He said he saw him by the bus smoking a cigarette and just walked over to him.
Quote by Hardlycore
By "got a VIP ticket" do you mean he paid a couple hundred bucks, or was it 100% free?

Seems too good to be true.

Free - though the guitar cost him like $3000. I dunno, I believe it cause my dad just told the whole story to me
Quote by Dimarzio45
Nah it was actually before the show. He said he saw him by the bus smoking a cigarette and just walked over to him.

Man, that's awesome. That's like, best case scenario but just blind luck.

Quote by Jyrgen
Free - though the guitar cost him like $3000. I dunno, I believe it cause my dad just told the whole story to me

That's a good point, and I'm sure crazier things have happened. But any time I think about interacting with management I think it just involves money.
Quote by captaincrunk
I don't understand the question.

What if my voluptuous double D's don't land me a beer?
One time Thomas Erak just showed up around where the line was for his show and chilled for a while and talked to some people. Didn't get to talk to him though
Quote by chev311e
One time Thomas Erak just showed up around where the line was for his show and chilled for a while and talked to some people. Didn't get to talk to him though

That's cool that he would do that, you usually don't see much of the band till they're on the stage. It's a shame ya didn't get to meet him though!
At an Alice in Chains concert, my friend walked backstage during the last song. The rest of the crew just thought he was part of the crew and didn't do anything, so he walked out back and got on the bus. The bus driver asked if he was with somebody with the band and he said yeah. When the band came back and got on the bus it was a few minutes before they realized "hey who the hell is this guy?!"
So my suggestion is to pretend to be a roadie, maybe wear a plain black t-shirt and jeans and look like you have someplace to be.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
How does one have beer with Maynard James Keenan?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I've actually met two pretty awesome musicians, both times before their concerts. Though they're not as famous as Ozzy, I still think it's pretty awesome.

A friend and I went to see Subhumans live, here in Norway. The British band, not the Canadian band with the same name.
Anyway, about an hour before the concert we were having a few beers at a bar down the street, when suddenly, in walks the whole band, plus their warm-up band.
So my friend has been a huge fan of Dick Lucas, the vocalist of Subhumans, for many years, so he gets all starstruck and has to sit still for 5 minutes to calm down before he goes over.

So he goes over and asks, "Sir, could I take a picture with you?"
So Dick Lucas just turns around, points a finger in his face, and says loudly; "Hey! Don't call me sir." and my friend just freezes, before he says "of course you can take a picture with me."
After a couple of beers, we ended up outside the venue chatting with him for a while, talking about music and drinking and shit. Pretty cool guy.

This other time, we went to see The Restarts live, in my hometown. We're also pretty well known there by the guys who run the place, and a few regulars, as we've played live there before. Anyway, one of the guys who run the place published a post on facebook about two hours before the concert, saying that the guitarist had broken his guitar, and really wanted either a Gibson SG or an SG copy to play on. And I just happen to have an Epiphone SG lying around, so I call him right away and say I'll bring it over.

So when I get there, the guitarist greets me at the door, thanks me several times for bringing the guitar, and gets me a beer. He also got me free entrance, and a CD.
Chatted with him for a few minutes before he had to go to soundchecks and stuff.
Also a pretty cool guy. Can't remember his name though.
Quote by KingChris90

No, you really don't, I did. He was playing a small bar here before his show later in the evening to tune up, and there were maybe 10 people in the place. He is a great guitar player, but a pretentious douchebag who thinks he is the best thing in the world. One of the local blues players out solo'd him and he refused to play any more.
Quote by derkym
No, you really don't, I did. He was playing a small bar here before his show later in the evening to tune up, and there were maybe 10 people in the place. He is a great guitar player, but a pretentious douchebag who thinks he is the best thing in the world. One of the local blues players out solo'd him and he refused to play any more.

Well, what were some things that he said?
I didn't actually get to say much to him tbh he took one sip of the warsteiner and grimaced. People started flooding in once word got out he was at that small bar and he left pretty fast. I just said "you are Joe Bonamassa, people want to hear you play." His reply was "well, they can pay to see me tonight." He wasn't really much of a jerk to me but a lot of female (hot) fans who actually knew who he was and knew his music wanted to chat for a minute and he refused and bailed out the back door. If it was me and I was famous I would at least take 10-20 minutes to talk to my fans.
I want to have a beer with SRV even though I am underage.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
I want to have a beer with SRV even though I am underage.

Bad news, he's dead
Quote by derkym
I didn't actually get to say much to him tbh he took one sip of the warsteiner and grimaced. People started flooding in once word got out he was at that small bar and he left pretty fast. I just said "you are Joe Bonamassa, people want to hear you play." His reply was "well, they can pay to see me tonight." He wasn't really much of a jerk to me but a lot of female (hot) fans who actually knew who he was and knew his music wanted to chat for a minute and he refused and bailed out the back door. If it was me and I was famous I would at least take 10-20 minutes to talk to my fans.

He probably gets that shit all the time since he's touring all the time. But, I get where you're coming from. It must be tough to constantly be in an appreciative mood towards fans when living the JB life.
Page 1 of 2